Where and how Randy?

wool001.jpg

wool002.jpg

wool003.jpg

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Ken Snow said:
Randy- I have many employees, who abolutely love rugs and care about them tremendously that may not know about the origin (country, they almost always know). Their passion is treating it right whether they are cleaning it repairing it, removing stains from it et. These same people have other passions in life besids learning rug pedigree esp when that pedigree has almost nothing to do with how they will care for it.

they are incredible works of art .

I understand Ken but there is a difference between the passions is for service and a love for rugs. How the hell can anyone have love for rugs be in the business for years yet know next to nothing about them….. oxymoron ?
OK, let’s not be snobs. Not all rugs are works of art some are junk most are programmed..designed in a computer program far away from weavers and far from a traditional local art form.

OK, Mikey

1. Probably Pakistan but much of the new stuff is being made in Afghanistan…. it looks like an a rug made by art resource. Colors, design, heavy chemical wash wet a corner it should feel slimy and smell like chemicals or vomit. These can be problem bleeders and a weird slurry of shit usually comes out of these in a wash

2. Sarouk is the quick answer although some are not actually Sarouk. Colors weave, design. Should wash fine dry rot is sometimes an issue be very careful when handling wet

3. Hooked rug. If the binding on the side is a glued on separate piece of material it’s Indian. Cinese if folded over usually hand sewn sometimes glued One way to tell a tufted rug is from China or India.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Great thread!!! Hope it goes a LONG way! Great pics and thanks ruggies for the info. Rugs always make me nervous..

Mikey P

Administrator
Hooked rug. If the binding on the side is a glued on separate piece of material it’s Indian. Chinese if folded over usually hand sewn sometimes glued One way to tell a tufted rug is from China or India.

I sort of put that hooked up as a joke but damn if I didn't learn something to impress Mrs Piftleton.

Randy, Ken, Bryan is there any chance I'm gonna burn you guys out with this?

I sure hope not.

I hope others take advantage of this.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Mikey I test my product first with hot water and a white cotton towel. See If there is bleed. Bleding can occur not only in the cleaning process but in the drying process as well. I am sure that you will be calling many of these fine gentlemen here when an occasion occurs. Trust me I do. Just like Jose also said I worked numerous hours on rugs that were not my fault . The client does not understand that so the fault could be yours. That is why I have my mentors. And I do thank them they know who they are. So get your mentors ready. You'll need it.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Re: The World's Greatest Rug ID Thread. Do you need ID to clean?

Thought I'd chime in on this since we are aiming for the world's greatest ... though I might end up making it the world's worst now. :)

You do NOT need to know where a rug is from, it's village, it's age, to clean it. A 1920 Sarouk and a 1980 Karastan machine made wool will be cleaned the same.

This was my biggest gripe 6+ years ago when the Rug Lady had an article rug quiz and said that if you could not ID a dhurrie from a Karastan, then you should not clean those rugs.

Spoken like a real "teacher" to cleaners trying to sell more certification courses ... rather than a practical cleaner trying to help keep people out of trouble.

To clean a rug you need to know:
fiber type
dye stability
construction concerns
pre-inspection skills

An attentive and knowledgeable cleaner will be able to wash any rug well if he has all these areas covered. In fact, with the right cleaning know-how (usually all coming from experience and not necessarily a book or quiz) someone with low-tech tools can clean as well, if not much better than, fancier high-tech options. It's just like in the home cleaning ... whether you are talking truckmount, portable, or other options - it's more the Tech than it is the Tool that determines the outcome.

What Rug ID is great for however is MARKETING and TRUST with clients. If you come in and can tell a client where their rug is from, you can build immediate credibility.

I've been around rugs most of my life ... and my mother is a weaver. Today many rugs look alike, but she can look at the twists of fibers, and the feel of the construction, and can identify things that I've rarely seen anyone else do - all from pulling apart and putting back together so many different rugs over decades and decades. You just can't teach that. Ken's right ... after a month of being around so many rugs, you just instinctively know things and don't know how to explain it.

I'm still learning .. even though I try to teach this stuff, at least what I know. It's constant learning. Anyone who says they know it all on rugs, is simply a liar. Even my mom doesn't know everything. :)

So ... test the dyes with hot water, on the back side ... and test it with your solution if it is alkaline ... and if no transfer occurs, you are safe to clean. I have a pre-inspection checklist if anyone would like to have a copy. Just email me at lisa@joepolish.com and put "rug checklist" in the subject line. Even though I'm at Piranha full-time now ... I still stay connected to the rug info. gotta keep connected to your first love.

Take care,
Lisa Wagner

Able 1

Name
Keith
Lisa were any of the rug ID's wrong IYO? Just looking to learn...

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Mikey P said:
Good lord almighty Hyde, you are the new MBRug Guru Incarnate.

Can I make give you Marty's Global Mod position?

I dono, Is there a wierd initiation ritual that requires me to do somthing nasty?

Its ok I get burned out sometimes but rug ID is kinda fun. what burns me are the guys that ask for help with a rug but have no pic, don’t know what the rug is and get pissed cuz I’m too much of a “rug snob” because..IMO it’s irresponsible to give any advice without seeing or knowing what the rug is.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
A Tibetan rugs from communist China controlled Tibet

Have one made unless you plan on spending the money for the Asrehlian(sp) school

rhyde

Name
rhyde
The standard answer is something in the dye of other colors is unappealing but look close all the colors are eaten. The other answer is something was spilled on the rug that made the wool more appealing in certain spots and finally it could be random

rhyde

Name
rhyde
I was in Denver a few years ago visting Bob Mann I drove up to Phil’s shop unannounced he was there washing rugs no class or photo shoot for an add just Phil making a living washign rugs I can respect that.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Here is a true ruggie of the old school and one who taught me most of what little I know about rugs.

Who is he ?

RinseCleanRugs1.jpg

harryhides

Name
Tony
Here's another rug Pic.

One half has been dusted using an air compressor and the other was just vacuumed.
A rug badger would take out even more soil.

Question is :
Why is the dirty side so white looking ?
What kind of soil is white and no it is not powdered deodorizer.

B4Aft1DustClose.jpg

harryhides

Name
Tony
Dead skin cells and mite feces is the correct answer.
It is an extremely fine particulate and is a great reason to have all textile flooring and upholstery cleaned on a regular basis.

You can wand all day long with the biggest baddest blower you can find and NEVER remove all of this stuff.
With a Rug Badger, Dusting ( from both sides) and an immersion cleaning you will have a fighting chance, imo to actually "clean" the rug.
The only other way is to spend a quarter million dollars on a Moore machine if you can find one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom