There must be a BETTER WAY to find a GOOD EMPLOYEE

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I've been trying to hire through Craig's List. And so far it has not been good.
A qualifier- I am willing to pay well (more than what some of my colleagues are paying) and I am not looking for brain surgeons. Just positive, energetic people that are willing to work hard. I guess if you get that that is a lot.

• A simple screening of the applicants' emails practically removes the majority. Hard to believe the emails one gets.
  • The ones that make it, we do a phone interview. As a simple screening test, we ask them to call us for the interview at a given time. The idea is to see if they follow through and see if they do call on time. Most don't call back and very few call back on time.
  • Last part is a personal interview. Again, we expect them to be on time. Out of 8 interviews 5 did not show up at all.

Am I missing something?
Is there a better source to find decent employees? (No, we are not having another child :icon_razz:)
Trying to stay away from the Labor Readies who according to feedback do not seem to have the best reputation?

Any organization that do some screenings and try to help people find employment?
A better rout to go?
Any ideas?
I am hitting the wall here.

Last edited:

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
It could be just where you are looking - Craigslist.

Other ideas would be:

Referrals (ask clients, friends, businesses, etc).
Local colleges
Library
Church
Bni/chamber
Put a subdomain on your site
Blog
Facebook

Just some ideas

Reactions: ruff

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I follow a similar approach to you, put stuff in place to see how good they are at following simple directions.

I also found a HUGE drop out rate from initial response.

Thankfully I don't have to hire often, but one time, I ended up down to a single personal interview applicant. All others were weeded out before they got to that stage. He's still with me over 5 years later. and is the best employee I ever got.

As Bill said, vary your application media for a different audience. I've had past employees came from a client referring. Another via church. another a fairly close neighbour. Just remember, if they come from a close relationship by asking family, friends, church, neighbours etc, how will you deal with any employment issues that may arise? Thankfully that has never been an issue for me, but was always in the back of my mind.

Another thing I have found good is to put a fairly short deadline on any application advertising. It means they gotta get off their backside and act quickly. But ideally look for someone that's still employed unless their dismissal is to do with redundancy and legitimate.

Good luck, it's tough out there finding someone you're prepared to trust to the extent we need to in our industry.

John

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Ofer, We've found Craigslist to be a good source of talent, and get exactly the same type of response you do. This is good, since losers waste very little of my time. My most recent two interview sessions: #1) 30 e-mail resumes, 6 responded to my reply, 4 schedule for interviews, 2 showed, none hired; #2) 25 e-mailed resumes, 10 responded, 7 scheduled for interviews, 5 showed, 2 hired. We were only looking for one, but both were good hires.

I took the time to read some of the Craigslist forums and found what job seekers complain about. That's when I stopped writing ads that were short and to the point.

#1 - Do not post anonymous, reply to Craigslist ads. The job seeker sees this as hiding how crappy your company really is. Look at the other carpet tech ads and you'll see why you need to stand out.

We write the ad to self-exclude deadweight, and also write the copy as if we were trying to impress any customer that might read the ad. We put down LOTS of information.

An example of what would be included: We're looking for friendly, athletic people that don't mind working up a sweat while still providing a great experience for our customers. Good color vision and an eye for detail are needed. Work is done on customer's premises, so any applicant will have to pass background and driving records check. This lets the job seeker and customer know what we think is important.

We also pump up the company by relating how long our typical employee stays and invite people to check out our website and Yelp reviews. This is to get the job seeker and customer to see how we're different.

Good luck!

Last edited:

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I’m getting ready to post a GL ad for help. It’s something I have been putting off for months. I prefer blind box (anonymous) ads. I don’t have time to take calls and they will call no matter what the ad says. I think many ideal applicants would hesitate to respond to a “carpet cleaning tech” ad because they may have misconceptions about the work and pay scale.
Instead I’m going to advertise “Entry Level Service Technician”.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Sorry CL (craigslist) ad

http://lawrence.craigslist.org/trd/3312579194.html

You have the right idea screening applicants to see if they can follow instructions. I follow similar screening methodology. I used to get the same percentage of idiots when I hired from the paper at $75.00 a pop. I’m hoping to get better applicants by putting the ad in the skilled trade section.

I think John Tuseo has a good idea.

Reactions: Newman

Brian H

Name
Brian H
I mailed this to a few hundred of our local customers several years ago and got excellent response. If you have email addresses for your customers, it wouldn't cost you a thing.

WE’VE GOT A PROBLEM!
So many people want Hagopian value that we can’t serve them all! Oh, we have the trucks and equipment, but we need more quality people.

AND WE’LL PAY YOU $250.00 TO HELP US FIND THEM!*
Here’s all you have to do. Tell you’re friends and family about the exciting career opportunities available at Hagopian Cleaning Services and if we hire them

[h=1]WE’LL PAY YOU $250.00!*[/h]
Why are we doing this? It’s simple; we need to hire quality people. We could put an ad in the newspaper, but we would rather have referrals from our customers. You know~ the kind of people you would want in your home.

This is a full time career position working Monday through Friday and most Saturdays. Plus the voluntary overtime is almost endless! We are a drug free workplace, so a pre-employment drug test is mandatory. A pleasant personality and good work ethic are a must along with an excellent driving record.

We offer an industry leading compensation and benefits package, including choice of medical and dental plans, Vision, 401 K retirement savings plan, Dependant Care Account and Health Reimbursement Account. We are one of the largest cleaning companies in the country so our people have many opportunities for advancement.

*If you know of a quality-orientated person looking for a great career with a winning team, give them my name and have them call me at (248) 399-2323 and after 90 days of employment, I’ll send you

$250.00!
Sincerely,

Brian Hanna
Location Cleaning Division Manager

Reactions: Newman and ruff

Chris A

Name
Chris
Damn, most Saturdays? I was almost gonna let you hire me too...

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Great idea Brian...it beats trolin' Piggly Wigglys for basket cart boys..........
THAT makes ya feel kinna pervy...........

don ask me how i know this........

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Exactly chris and Acehole our customer data would have been too expensive for that type of mailing. It has almost 500,000 in it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Name
Al
I have hired my last two employees using Facebook. I ask my friends for help to find the right person. They already know my reputation and the kind of people I am looking for. They know what kind of person they would want in their homes. I have a list of people to call on if needed.

I don't lose many and have only hired four in the last two years. My managers have been with me 15-18 years and the head techs 5-11 years. My only complaint from them is that there is not much room for advancement, no one leaves.

Al Bradham

Mikey P

Administrator
Not to be a racist prick but I have to wonder If your name was Ken or Brian and you didn't have that accent if you would still suffer all the no shows..

On that same note, what nationalites won't you hire?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Not to be a racist prick but I have to wonder If your name was Ken or Brian and you didn't have that accent if you would still suffer all the no shows..

On that same note, what nationalites won't you hire?
Assuming that indeed you are not "a racist prick."
The answer is: I don't know if it has anything to do with my accent or name. I very much doubt it but who knows. If it does, I guess it is a good qualifier on its own. It seems like most Craig's List advertisers have the same problem though.

I'd hire any nationality. All I care about is the quality of the person not their name or accent. The only thing I am not willing to compromise on is the quality of the person, as my reputation will depend on it.

Mikey P

Administrator
Sorry if I came off a little harsh, but it is a real subject worthy of discussion.

Would YOU hire a African American or very Hispanic looking man to service your white/green bread clients?:eekk:

and don't tell me it does not matter.:eekk:

Ken Snow should be able to comment on correct color combinations in the client/chimp relationship..:eekk:

but he wont.

for much the same reason he avoids telling us the real reason Hagopian does not prevacuum carpet.:eekk:

Mikey P

Administrator
and I sent an email to my client base asking for recommendation for a hire, it went over real well..

they loved that I asked them.

but just like the applicants that came from Craigs List, most were grossly over qualified.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Sorry if I came off a little harsh, but it is a real subject worthy of discussion.

Would YOU hire a African American or very Hispanic looking man to service your white/green bread clients?:eekk:

and don't tell me it does not matter.:eekk:

Ken Snow should be able to comment on correct color combinations in the client/chimp relationship..:eekk:

but he wont.

for much the same reason he avoids telling us the real reason Hagopian does not prevacuum carpet.:eekk:
It is a realistic concern, but for us, most people that are that bothered of a person of color (brown, black or purple) in their home are probably not going to call us anyway.

As far as Ofer it probably has more to do with him being a "scrawny foriegner". :p

Mikey P

Administrator
My current guy is my first real white employee aside from my kid.

The last three were black and Hispanic in appearances.

I know for a fact I lost a few rich uppity white bitches over them..

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'm sure, some are going to freak out a bit, racist or not. It's just not whom they expected to see at the door. In this day and age it's reasonable to have some concern of who comes in your home regardless of what color they are.

I'm always uncomfortable of service people who come in my home and I'm not that racist. I hate everyone equally. :p

Reactions: dealtimeman

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Ironically the only ones that have ever asked us were black customers amd they dis not want same.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
As far as Ofer it probably has more to do with him being a "scrawny foriegner". :p
How many times do I need to tell you Richard: "Scrawny Old ForeiGner."
Sheesh!

Mike,
I hired an African American. Clients seemed to like him. Nice personable guy. Only problem was after July 4 vocation he never came back. Never called or even asked for the money. I had to trace him via emails to get an address, so that I could send him his salary. I kid you not. He was quite young though.

Many years before (different business) I had an African American women employee that was totally awesome!

And yes, it's an important issue and one wonders.

My guideline is personal.
Do they seem honest and trustworthy?
Are they presentable?
Do they like people and engage?

The other stuff, I can't speculate too much.

Last edited:
Name
Al
I don’t hire color I hire attitude. I have people (not customers) ask not to have a black man come to their home, that is their prerogative. My choice is we don’t go at all.

My people know I hire whites but I don’t hire white trash. I hire blacks but I don’t hire …..well. Their last interview I lay it on the table. I do not care if you are white, black, or green. You treat me, the other employees, and my customers with respect and you will be treated by me with respect. If the customers do not treat my employees with the respect they deserve they simply are not customers anymore.

At my shop we work together, we play together, and we cry together.

That is all I have to say about that. :shifty:

Al Bradham

Last edited:

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Am I allowed to put "Are you or were you ever a stripper?" on the application when I hire an office person?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Women, right hoody? Easy easy take it easy I was just asking, wanted to be sure! :razz:

If wimins, you could conduct the interview while they are up on your desk with a little background music, just in case. :very_drunk:

Of couse to keep you out a trouble you might have a buddy stepping down off the table when she walks in. :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom