Thinking Outside The Boxtruck

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
After Harpers "My dick's bigger than your dick Truck Mount" Fiasco...I felt inclined to retort. :|

How deep is carpet? If something is so deep into the pad...the pad needs to come out anyway (if it matters enough to pull it out).

I just don't get spending that kind of money to clean carpet. :|

Too far away?....bring in a porty or portable cleaning set up of some kind.

If it's too much?...Two trucks are better than one huge one with overkill equipment in it.

The power from a V or huge TM (or two :roll: ) alike is just an un-needed expense...no matter how much money you make from it.
Because you can make the same money (and more after expenses) with a lesser set up that will break down less and eat less fuel.

I gotta say, Terj is a pretty smart guy for doing the electric thing...even though he whines like a little girl about it. shiteatinggrin

Why would you look to spend more to do the same...ever :?:

Unless you are so insecure about your little pecker (pecker being a metaphor of course) that you need to impress a virtual community of people you've never met (for the most part) or you just don't know your ass from a hole in the ground :?: :?:

It's the Tim the Tool Man Taylor mentality.

In the incredibly insightful words of wisdom spoken by a genius in our time...Dr. Evil 8)

"Scott (Harp) , you just don't get it do you?...You don't."

This has been a moment with Brian. !gotcha!

Name
Jesse
If you payed hourly for labor, had high standards for both results and dry times, charged an above average price and needed to reflect professionalism by having professional equipment then you couldn't be more wrong.

Why do mechanics waste all that money on lifts when a jack works fine?
Why use a bucket truck when there are ladders?
Why are we using carbon fiber in race cars when there's fiberglass?
Why do landscapers use gas mowers/blowers/cutters when there's electric versions?
Why pay for dumpster when the trash guys will pick up bags?
Imagine what we could all $ave if got off our high horses and just lived the 3rd world lifestyle

What's the point?

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Permission to speak ...mArY....?

I would NOT want to hI-Jack you incrediably iMpOrTaNt THREAD.. :roll: :oops:

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Give it your best shot Harpocrite.

Out Of Character said:
If you payed hourly for labor, had high standards for both results and dry times, charged an above average price and needed to reflect professionalism by having professional equipment then you couldn't be more wrong.
Why do mechanics waste all that money on lifts when a jack works fine?
Why use a bucket truck when there are ladders?
Why are we using carbon fiber in race cars when there's fiberglass?
Why do landscapers use gas mowers/blowers/cutters when there's electric versions?
Why pay for dumpster when the trash guys will pick up bags?
Imagine what we could all $ave if got off our high horses and just lived the 3rd world lifestyle

What's the point?

That's overdoing it as much as what I talked about.

Name
Lee Stockwell
The Corkster said:
After Harpers "My dick's bigger than your dick Truck Mount" Fiasco...I felt inclined to retort. :|

How deep is carpet? If something is so deep into the pad...the pad needs to come out anyway (if it matters enough to pull it out).

If it's too much?...Two trucks are better than one huge one with overkill equipment in it.

The power from a V or huge TM (or two :roll: ) alike is just an un-needed expense...no matter how much money you make from it.
Because you can make the same money (and more after expenses) with a lesser set up that will break down less and eat less fuel.

I gotta say, Terj is a pretty smart guy for doing the electric thing...even though he whines like a little girl about it. shiteatinggrin

Unless you are so insecure about your little pecker (pecker being a metaphor of course) that you need to impress a virtual community of people you've never met (for the most part) or you just don't know your ass from a hole in the ground :?: :?:

In the incredibly insightful words of wisdom spoken by a genius in our time...Dr. Evil 8)

Brian I believe you are sincere in what you say above.

Sincere but wrong. I thought high heat and big TMs were over-rated, especially after 15 years running Bane Clene units. I was wrong.

Please don't diss what you haven't experienced.

Thanks,
Lee

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I ran portys for twelve years with an employee and we did great work, just as good as a truckmount. When I finally got my White Magic Pro1200 in 1987 I fired my employee and started working alone. I grossed 40% more that year, and was able to just do more jobs per day and per week than with two portys and a helper. And I no longer had to deal with an idiot all day long. And I finally started to bank some real loot. It's all about efficiency with a high powered truckmount.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
The Corkster said:

JUST ADMIT...THAT YOU HAVE A PEE-PEE... :!:

WE CLEAN THE CARPET....WE DON'T JUST SMEAR INTO THE BACKING.. :oops:

THAT IS BECAUSE YOU HAVE ..."NO MONEY'... :!:

OUR STANDARDS ARE HIGHER THAN THAT....'REMEMBER' "WE HAVE MONEY".. :roll:

YOU CAN"T AFFORD..."OVERKILL"...AS FAR AS TOO MUCH..."YOU ARE STILL BEGGING FOR WORK... :roll: YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT A "REAL" CC BIZ CAN DO.. :shock:

AGIAN...YOU HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT YOU ARE SAYING.. :!:

WE DON"T DO "LESS"..TO MAKE THE SAME MONEY.:roll:
WE DO MORE..... TO MAKE "MORE MONEY"..... !gotcha!

YOUR PERCEPTION OF "clEan"...IS MUCH DIFFERENT THAN MOST... :oops:

YOU ARE THE ONE THAT HAS A "vIrTuAl" BUSINESS...."SHOW US SOME "pIc's" OF YOUR truck."

50%...OF NOTHING...IS STILL..."NoThINg"...eINsTeIn..YOU ARE A "wann-A-bee".. :cry: :cry:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
The Corkster said:

its all about the structure of your company and production.........

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Brian- I had a HM CDS and did a great job. Then I got a powerclean Genesis that cleans at 240+ and I have to tell you, the difference is amazing. You haven't a clue what you are talking about.

1200 plus yesterday.

950 today.

The rest of the week and next week should be similar.

What does this mean?

Its about making money without killing yourself.

Not picking on anyone, but when I see a multi truck company with employees, overhead, tons of toys and the high costs we all face, I see someone doing twice the work to make the same profit. A few names come to my mind.

If you serviced 40-50 restaurant or commercial accounts monthly which is not hard to get, a dual tm setup makes sense. You could clean tile and carpet at the same time. Plus you have a nice setup to get day jobs done FAST.

With the right personel, the work, and the drive, a properly set up truck will bring in 5 grand per week every week.

If you work off referrals or have set accounts, it makes sense.

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Brian, I think Jen needs to put you back out WORKING, then maybe your opinions might change. But then again maybe not. :p

Art Kelley said:
I ran portys for twelve years with an employee and we did great work, just as good as a truckmount. When I finally got my White Magic Pro1200 in 1987 I fired my employee and started working alone. I grossed 40% more that year, and was able to just do more jobs per day and per week than with two portys and a helper. And I no longer had to deal with an idiot all day long. And I finally started to bank some real loot. It's all about efficiency with a high powered truckmount.

BINGO.

Now take it a step further.

Have one great employee to help out daily.

Get a second unit to allow your employee to do rentals or overflow work, provide killer service, charge more than your comp, keep overhead low, and put thousands in your pocket each week. Buy rentals with your money, use that money to buy more, save money, retire in 15 years with REAL LOOT and a nice retirement pay.

It takes a few years for most to figure this out.

lance

Brian is home on his computer working his website, tweaking his marketing, dealing with customers, hoping he can get the jobs done if his main subs aren't available, thinking of what he can do to keep his business model strong............

Harper owns equipment and has competent, smart, hard-working, dependable, trustworthy employees that can do the jobs the right way the first time. Harper knows that his business is not entirely dependent on him being the "super O/O" that has to take care of everything. He has systems in place so he can relax and enjoy being a business owner even while sick or on (extended) vacation.

Harper also has a kick-ass box truck that can do small or extra large jobs and anything in between. He makes sure his equipment is in top condition and is payed for as soon as possible. He can check on any job that needs extra attention and can grow his business with referrels and not advertising. He knows that the foundation of his business is strong and lasting, and that sometimes it almost feels too easy to run.

Harper even has so much money that banks ask him for loans (but don't tell the wife that.)

Now, ask yourself, whom would you rather be ?????

This has been a moment with reality. Have a nice day.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Doug Cox said:
Anyone who is in their 20's or 30's shouldn't need a helper unless they're just lazy.

ya might want to bump that up a few years...I am 47 and I don't need no help......

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Doug Cox said:
Anyone who is in their 20's or 30's shouldn't need a helper unless they're just lazy.

or stupid...

a helper makes the jobs go at least 50% faster, and less (for me) mental fatigue...

I spray, help setup, move hose, organize to get the next area ready, etc....

he wands

I get done alot faster and dont have the headache of where my hose is...wasting my time unloading crap, when i could be filling up the sprayer, or in the case of VCT, i can sweep while they unload and set up equip....get my stripper bucket 1st, and get it spread while they finish filling buckets and putting machines together...

its not about how macho you can be to do 5 jobs a day...i want 7 jobs, (or a couple decent or 1 big) and not be dead ass tired when i get home

You wouldn't pay a guy 350 weekly to set up hose, vacuum, move stuff, tab furniture, allow you to do jobs much faster (your customers will appreciate this), and even drive or run a second wand on a truck that brings in 3-4k per week?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
My helper was sick today and it was a real bummer for me!

He sets up, move furniture , spots and tears dow.

Back to truckmounts. They are just a pump, heat and a vac.

You don't need a big truck to do that.

I have an electric and it has steaming heat, constant 450 psi and great dry times.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
well coming from a 18hp, and 36 blower, to an everest....

its better...sometimes only a little, other times, out of this world...(like when i cleaned out 450-500' :shock: :shock: :shock: )

but i had my 36 running as efficient as you could get..

I have stripped a few things (that were broke) out of the Everest...and it runs better to...still have a few tweaks to make, but a little gun shy about cutting a few things off the waste tank

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Same age, Jim and I do fine also. Helpers make a difference on commercial or empty homes, otherwise they are just in the way.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Doug Cox said:
Same age, Jim and I do fine also. Helpers make a difference on commercial or empty homes, otherwise they are just in the way.

exactly........work smart.....get help if you need it on the really large ones....no work mans comp...no weekly pay checks..no hassle and you keep all the booty......

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
The Corkster said:

If its in the pad, its not coming out with cleaning, subsfc extraction maybe. I can clean a LOT better and efficiently with my TM than I could with my porty, which I worked with for my first 3yrs before I bought the Big Red.

If its within 400ft, TM is still easier to set up, cleans faster, less hassle over all than a porty.
If its on the 4th floor and I can run the hose up fairly easily, its worth the effort more than bringing in the porty.
Porty has its place, just ask Willy. There are some places you just can't get a TM into or reach from.

A TM is definitely worth the money if your busn can justify it.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I AM LAZY!!! I REALLY AM!!! sometimes on larger jobs when dual wanding i have four guys on the job. i always have a helper for the main tech. everything is just easier and for 35 dollars an hour, for me it is worth it.

i used to be the guy that got pissed off because the helpers never learned or remebered how to do stuff but the error was mine as it was me who hired the dumbass in the first place. if you get good helper(s) it wil increase effeciancey, if you have enough work to justify tiny cost. i also dont like being so tired and being in a bad mood because i am so fookin tired.

brian this is not a diss bro, but if you were on a truck working again day in and day out, YOU WOULD want a truck that could do the job and all jobs better faster and easier.

when i had my cobb unit, i loved that machine. if something broke it was easy to fix, in two years never fixed anything except a frozen (oxidized) blower. compared to a portable i felt i was a carpet cleaning magician. as i started doing alot more commercial or larger jobs it really frustrated me to stop to empty the waste tank for 5 -10 minutes. no a big deal just frustrated me as i use high flow and the tank filled up in less than an hour.

i really like haveing a large waste tank that can just go all job long in most cases. and i really like having a truck that has everything including tools and chems in it all the time.

bottom line is you need to know what is your biz model is and what is going to fit your biz startegy the best.
b

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Lance,

I just want you to know..! That I really appreciate your kind words..!

I fowarded your post to my son..! that was one of the best refferals
we have EVER recieved..! You have NO idea how you "HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD"

You are DEAD-ON...your anolagy is...!!! Of our business modle... 8)

Thank you !
Harper

royalkid

Supportive Member
Name
Gulf Coast Carpet Care
Here's a story for you all:

I was a great tech working for company that only used bonnets...SUCKED!!! I wasn't happy using them, i knew this was not the "superior cleaning" that was being advertised. I found the red board and the rest is history.

After 7 years of working for the above mentioned company (ONLY stayed because they gave me a TM). I decided to start my own company. Thought i'd start out with the basics, couple buffers, mytee porty (heat/500psi) a used RX-20 and all the other things we need. Anywayz, I've used porty's in the past and knew the job(s) could be done well, pre-vac, pre-treat, pre-aggitate with 175, RX-20, Post bonnet, groom....good stuff. After doing 3 jobs with that set-up....i went out and bought my 1st TM (BUTLER) and it rocks!! BTW, Thanx for all the tips/advice harper, you're awesome!!

The point I'm trying to make, if all you know is a porty, ok, you can get good results, but once you've tried a TM and see how much more you can do and less headaches....not too mention (let's face it)...it's gonna clean better (more heat, better extraction).

Brian is an intelligent guy, he's trying to make money, but come on bro, you can't try to act as if your subs w/ portys (OR JUST BUFFERS) are cutting the mustard. The ONLY way you can get a custy (to think they're) satified is to BS them. When I worked for CD, as a newbie, I knew NOTHING about carpet cleaning and drank the Kool-aid myself, but then the logical part of my brain came in and said, "WTF man, THIS IS BS" That's when I told my employers i wanted the TM, NONE of the other hacks wanted to do the extra work the TM came with...they were content with pre-vac, pre-spray, buff and run....I've known guys spray-n-buff 8 areas in 1 hour...come on!! That's when you can tell who "CARES" and who is the rip-off hack!

Just my .2

Carry-on

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
So many posts to respond to ...so little time....it's the busy season.

Harper, really? Because I don't come on here and talk about how much money I make...does that make me broke?
I could tell you how many crews I am running today with absolutely NO overhead (except for the 50% part. :mrgreen: )
But that would make me the BS Braggart that you are.

I noticed a HUGE change when I jumped from the porty to my Steam Genie. Easier to do jobs etc.
I'm not discounting a TM in a van because I think those are useful.
Still a pain in the ass with too much overhead but whattyagonnado? Not many alternatives as of yet.

The huge boxtruck with 2 TMs is overkill...you know it...I know it...the american people know it.
Unless Maaaaaaybe you are charging $100 per room...in which case you should be there longer anyway and therefore no point again.

But because of the mentallity of "bigger is better", you will have the supporters backing you up and you look like the king to them. Good luck with that.

I'm just going to get out of the house for a while and do some light work for the hell of it.
If it takes off, I will hire guys to do it for me.

Why does everything have to be a pissing contest with you?? :mrgreen:

Yes, I know I started this thread...just giving you hell bro.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
How is a 2 TM setup overkill if it is being use as it was intended to? Pull your head out of your ass Brian and look at it from all sides.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
If you have a job or business that warrants 2 TMs you should have them in separate vehicles.

You just don't like company Doug.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I would tend to agree with you , Brian, that Joe's truck has its limitations, but if it works for him, who cares.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom