This is challenging

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Don't say free. Say, no additional charge. Free, means there is no cost to something. You can't get the free chair or protector or whatever unless you buy the carpet cleaning. There is no free lunch.

Reactions: LCCFL

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
I’ll admit being a business owner under 3 years is tough. I’ve jumped from per room to sqft and back to per room. I believe I’m fair with the per room rate.

But when it comes to commercial I’ve taken sales courses and other tasks to get a grip of landing more commercial and residential work. Honestly it’s a pain when I can’t see a long shot and making it very profitable.

I know it’s more then looking professional, clean truck, latest equipment, and most off honesty. Which I feel I valid in all those categories. I really don’t want to be into apartment complex’s doing $25-30 cleans on occupied units. I feel I built a great reputation for my business.

What I don’t see is how I can grow, feed my family, live peaceful, and make a good pay. Yes it takes time but I always do the most I can. Market online, cold calling, emailing previous and new clientele.

Hoping anyone on here can give me some pointers.

My first tip is this: "Being Fair" with your per room rate is NOT what will feed your family. Determine your rate based on your expenses and your desired Gross Profit Margin. Set your price and ignore those that criticize you. Just make sure that your rate is one that isn't too far out of the market. At the 3 year mark you have picked your low hanging influenced customer base clean. Now focus on new customer sources.

Being an owner operator is the hardest thing you will every do. Your first 1-5 years: you need to spent 20-30 hours a week marketing. and 20-30 hours cleaning. and 5-10 on the books and evaluating what's working. Record and analyze everything. analyze your advertising expenses, your chemical expenses, fuel, etc. Your P&L is your best friend.....

Will you charge the same next month if fuel expenses triple? If your cleaning supplies double? Only you can answer these for yourself.... Everything has a cost ( monetarily or with sweat equity)

A rule of thumb: A good owner operator will NET $65k-$95k per year their first 3-5 years. An excellent one will NET $100k-$150k. After that, they typically need helpers, etc. which can seriously cut their NET if they are not careful. Hope this helps...

Good Luck!
-Greg

LCCFL

Name
Eli Rodriguez
My first tip is this: "Being Fair" with your per room rate is NOT what will feed your family. Determine your rate based on your expenses and your desired Gross Profit Margin. Set your price and ignore those that criticize you. Just make sure that your rate is one that isn't too far out of the market. At the 3 year mark you have picked your low hanging influenced customer base clean. Now focus on new customer sources.

Being an owner operator is the hardest thing you will every do. Your first 1-5 years: you need to spent 20-30 hours a week marketing. and 20-30 hours cleaning. and 5-10 on the books and evaluating what's working. Record and analyze everything. analyze your advertising expenses, your chemical expenses, fuel, etc. Your P&L is your best friend.....

Will you charge the same next month if fuel expenses triple? If your cleaning supplies double? Only you can answer these for yourself.... Everything has a cost ( monetarily or with sweat equity)

A rule of thumb: A good owner operator will NET $65k-$95k per year their first 3-5 years. An excellent one will NET $100k-$150k. After that, they typically need helpers, etc. which can seriously cut their NET if they are not careful. Hope this helps...

Good Luck!
-Greg
At $50 a room. I don’t feel is enough. But I do get many people to say it’s high. And some who pay. I was doing sqft but felt it was more time taken to drive, measure, price, then denied cause it was to high or wanted a lower price due to furniture.

I know there are a wide variety of things that may rise or lower. But I do hope to grow and get another truck and employee. Maybe more!

Reactions: Greg Cole

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
At $50 a room. I don’t feel is enough. But I do get many people to say it’s high. And some who pay. I was doing sqft but felt it was more time taken to drive, measure, price, then denied cause it was to high or wanted a lower price due to furniture.

I know there are a wide variety of things that may rise or lower. But I do hope to grow and get another truck and employee. Maybe more!
You have to learn to ball park it over the phone. 1000 sqft is $350. That could be 7 rooms. Give you customer a range of prices. Tell them the job will be between $250-$300 aprox or whatever. Most people are ok with that. The only estimates I do are large commercial.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
If you have to ask for reviews then you still need to improve your game. Your goal should be to turn everyone into a cheerleader with OCD level of service.
Are you using cornergards, neoprene walkoff matts, seal a-door, 360i bH and the best chems with the knowledge to use them correctly?
Following the 360i with a wand is an OCD must.
Maybe raise your prices too.
Use velcro straps for the hose hooks so that the hose hooks dont damage the paint.
Good luck.

Reactions: Mikey P

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
$50 a room is high.
But do you want to be low?

I think you said your monthly cable bill was $225. On an annualized bases, $50/room is alot cheaper then Cable! Carpet cleaning is a a great value when you sell it from this stand point.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
If you have to ask for reviews then you still need to improve your game. Your goal should be to turn everyone into a cheerleader with OCD level of service.
Are you using cornergards, neoprene walkoff matts, seal a-door, 360i bH and the best chems with the knowledge to use them correctly?
Following the 360i with a wand is an OCD must.
Maybe raise your prices too.
Use velcro straps for the hose hooks so that the hose hooks dont damage the paint.
Good luck.
God that sounds like a lot of work. Aren't you happier sitting on a tractor somewhere on Thailand.?

• Haha
Reactions: Fat Mike

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
God that sounds like a lot of work. Aren't you happier sitting on a tractor somewhere on Thailand.?
When I said im retiring to thailand- my mom responded "over her dead body". 🤤
My dad is even trying to hook me up with woman in USA.😆
The benefit of doing all that OCD work is that i dont need to spend money on advertising. My customers/cheerleaders do it for me. I dont even have to answer the phone to book appointments. They have learned that if they want an appointment, they need to book it online. The current wait for a m-w appointment is 1-1.5 weeks. Thurs-Sat appointment is about 6 weeks.
😁

Reactions: Cleanworks

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
The benefit of doing all that OCD work is that i dont need to spend money on advertising. My customers/cheerleaders do it for me. I dont even have to answer the phone to book appointments. They have learned that if they want an appointment, they need to book it online. The current wait for a m-w appointment is 1-1.5 weeks. Thurs-Sat appointment is about 6 weeks.
😁
I'd like to retire to somewhere in the Carribean. If I sell here, I can buy a little place in nowhere Saskatchewan for under $100,000 for the summer and go somewhere warm for the winter.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
I'd like to retire to somewhere in the Carribean. If I sell here, I can buy a little place in nowhere Saskatchewan for under $100,000 for the summer and go somewhere warm for the winter.
I traveled to Vancouver to when i was thinking about retiring in Canada. All the Hot Asian babes peaked my interest, but the high prices put the kibosh on that plan. 😄😄

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I traveled to Vancouver to when i was thinking about retiring in Canada. All the Hot Asian babes peaked my interest, but the high prices put the kibosh on that plan. 😄😄
Yeah, prices are higher here than in San Francisco. Gas is the highest in North America at $1.78 per litre. Supposed to go even higher.

Trip Moses

IMOL
Name
Trip Moses

I believe that getting the price you quote has more to do with your confidence when telling a customer your price. It is easy to lowball someone but giving a “high” price takes practice. You can do this alone, with your wife or a friend but you have to get used to saying your prices out loud. When you practice with someone you also get the chance to explain your prices. Practice on getting your sales pitch as brief as possible.
Also, the best sales advice I’ve received was that “when you give your price the next person to speak is the one who spends the money.” Meaning if you keep talking after you give your price the chances of the customer spending money reduce greatly. Keep them engaged by letting them ask questions and remember there is nothing you can do about price shoppers. Use price shoppers for sales practice.
I guarantee your sales will improve if you focus on these points.
Practice
Confidence
Brevity
“Poker Face” after delivering the price

hogjowl

Idiot™
😁
Gary Berg has been reborn
Or is it Frank Nihei

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I wonder if the newly minted OCD Papa J. out vacuums the Werner?

Say it ain't so, John.

Last edited:

Greg Cole

Name
Greg

Best of luck to you!

Reactions: LCCFL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom