This might explain why my CRB is making so much noise

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Everything was finger tight. Odd. Maybe the big flux in temps lately lossend things up

12066E0E-6DE0-4E03-ACD2-744CCB7341C4.jpeg

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Mine started making a lot noise. Kind of a laboring and squeaking. I loosened the screws that go into the center brace rod that goes between the brushes. Noise is gone. Don't know what would cause it to become to tight. I had never touched them before.

sassyotto

Name
Paul
went to grease the gears on the Brush Pro 20 and cant get three of the screws out. never put them back on that tight. Tried liquid wrench to no avail. Any suggestions?

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I forgot to tighten things up. I need to do that in the morning before I start my day of abuse and pain.

randy

Name
Randy
The gears are plastic, ZERO need for grease and it won't keep them from wearing. The gears go when you seize the brushes all of the sudden by running over the cord or a spotting rag etc. Normally it's just the one gear that will strip.
Grease is the last thing you want dripping out of a CRB.

steve_64

You can use a hack saw or grinding disk to cut a slot for a screw driver in the screw head. Sometimes pliers work.

You should be able to get hex head screws at local hardware store to replace them. Worse comes to worse hit them with a chizel and use pliers to get get the screw out.

Or send it in.

But get get hex cap screws to replace the Phillips.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I still say it wasn't meant for residential carpet but only low level commercial. Too much stress on the gears etc.

steve_64

Maybe a little more but even on commercial it pulls down pretty hard.

Keeping crud out from under the bearing cover is key I think. That's why it needs the hex caps so it's easier to maintain.

steve_64

images

View attachment 82488

hand impact wrench

or even small battery impact

images

..L.T.A.
No room to swing a hammer and the sides can crack. Granted I wailed on mine but I did crack it.

Easier to pop the heads off the screws. The shaft will screw out easily unless it's been in there a long time and is corroded.

Using the right screwdriver helps too. Use a #1 Phillips or smaller.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Using the right screwdriver helps too. Use a #1 Phillips or smaller.

with you on using proper fitting tool/bits
be it hex, nut or Philips

but pretty sure you mean #3 phil head??
Only place #1 Phil head belongs and should be used is on the plastic battery lid on kid's tiny toys

going "smaller", ain't the answer

..L.T.A.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
If the screws are steel in an aluminum frame, they have corroded.
Replace them with stainless. Larry is exactly right with the impact driver, it takes a momentary shock to break the corrosion.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
I still say it wasn't meant for residential carpet but only low level commercial. Too much stress on the gears etc.

Barely any stress at all if you lubricate the carpets sufficiently.. the CGD is just as much stress, it pulls more so with stiff brush.

randy

Name
Randy

I have been running Whittakers and Brush N clean units for 18 years. Have owned over a dozen of them in all that time we have had one stripped gear and that was operator error. Tough machines

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
One way to save the gears and save the motor from overheating is to just tip the machine slightly on end when starting it.

It pulls the brush out of the carpet and lets them come up to speed before taking a strain.

sassyotto

Name
Paul
yep, impact screwdriver did the job no problem. Screws had corroded a little. I don't use the 20 inch much.

Also agree on the tipping the machine when starting it. It becomes a good habit after awhile.

Yesterday I had a fellow cleaner text me to ask if he could use one of my Brush Pros because his gear stripped. When I bought my first machine I talked to the owner because I was going to buy an extra set of gears just in case. he told me that I only need the small one because that is the one to go first. I just gave the other cleaner my spare gear and he was good to go!

regarossa

Name
Reg Rogers
We use a product called "Kroil". It seems to loosen those screws up better than anything else. Then put the kung fu grip on it.

http://www.kanolabs.com

As far a grease on the gears, a little dab of white lithium grease doesn't hurt each gear while doing maintenance. It typically does more to quiet the gear assembly down just a bit...

Reactions: Nomad74

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom