This really chaps my ass. One price spray and suck hacks.

lance

Re: This really chaps my ass. One price spray and suck hack

If you have high standards a really good sound system or a 50 grand automobile is very easy to tell from cheap ones. Not all rich people are stupid or stuck up. Lots of them like, want, and can tell high quality from low quality.

Most middle to upper-middle class people either limit their spending to have a saving account or spend like crazy until their credit cards are maxed out or they have no more money to spend. But no matter what, they will spend their money on what they enjoy doing and on things that give them joy. Everyone makes spending choices everyday. But it all depends on what they want and when they want it.

I have worked for the PS and extract cleaners before. Can "you" get better results? Yes, most of the time, especially if it's extra dirty. But the customer is happy and willing to pay for the job. One of the cleaners charges $50.00 per area......and has a three area minimum.....but in Southern Calif. not the middle of Texas so compare your prices with our high cost of living.

You, as the O/O, set the prices and level of quality. But you have to make money too.....so the market impacts what you can charge or are willing to charge for a certain result. There are a lot of people who are happy shopping at walmart.....cheap stuff for cheap prices. And they keep going there every month do or die. And there are people who want their carpets clean.....not like new, but cleaner than they are now. And price may or may not be the most important factor.....but for a lot of customers the price is the only thing that they use for comparison.

Customized cleaning is a nice way to seperate yourself from the competition.....but it doesn't let the customer really know what the price is and how to compare it to other offers. That is why most cleaners have several packages of cleaning to choose from. They clean open areas with PS and extraction for this much, they clean with PS, aggitation, and extract along with or without moving furniture for this price, and also include protector for this price.

Don't get mad for the other cleaners to focus all their work towards the first level of cleaning.....the customers don't want to pay a lot and they get the cleaning that they pay for. The cleaners are happy because they see how much money they make PER DAY, not per job. They also think that if they're busy they must be making a lot of money. Members here know that is not always true.

If you want more of the first level market, then set a package for that......say $25.00 per area, 150 or 200 square foot limit, traffic lanes or open areas only, no furn. moving. Then have a second level of cleaning for the ones who want a really good job and don't mind paying more to get more. It seems to me you already serve and market to those people.

I know of a cleaner who had a 20/40/60 pricing schedule and made a lot of money......$20 for closets and halls, $40 for regular size bedrooms (larger master suites go for $50) and $60 for large family rooms and combo rooms. Three bedrooms and a hall was $140 for 1.5 hours work. More areas means more money. The customers are happy and the cleaner is happy.

Another way of getting more customers is to really push hard for referrals. Come up with a reward program so that both the old custy and new custy gets something for helping you. Offer anything you like......free area, cash discount, free protector for a room, etc. People like getting free stuff and they like to help people who help them out. Remember the words, "birds of a feather flock together."

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

danielc said:
I just don't see how a cleaner can do 3 rooms for 75 or 5 for 125 with tm equipment and do a great job .

"Efficient" 2 man crew, minimal/no furniture moving , clarification/limits on what constitutes a room or area .
With good route planing, a "good" 2 man crew can do a lot of those a day.

will the custy get a "Wernerized" carpet?
No..but the truth is, not every custy wants or needs a Wernerized carpet .
many of them are pleased with a "Hogopianed" carpet .
and others are tickled with something in the middle ...we'll call that a "meAted" carpet .

but I vacuum every job, use fans, post pad berbers etc and that is what separates me from the pack.

and that's the kind of stuff you point out in your ad copy .

You can point out the differences and separate yourself without calling all the comp "spray 'n suck HACKs"

..L.T.A.

Willy P

Name
Willy P

What meAt said. Worry about YOUR business, not the other guys.

TimP

I think it's OK to worry or be concerned with what your competitors are doing. But to worry to the point that they piss you off or chap your ass isn't a good thing. You need to be concerned with what you are doing. If you do things the competition don't do and you charge more why worry. Your clients will see this and if they are willing to pay for it then you both are happy. If they aren't then maybe you need to reconsider your business model.

There is no way you can tell us on the boards that it isn't possible to clean at 25 bucks a room and do a good job and stay in business. By you saying your costs are more than 3-4 bucks a room in variable costs tells me you have a bloated sense of cost to clean carpet. Even if it costs you 10 bucks a room and have 15 bucks a room profit and it takes you 20 minutes a room average. You're still making 45 dollars profit an hour. Take taxes and crap out of that and you're making well over 20 bucks an hour in your pocket. That's enough to have a modest income if you're working full time. So don't start to tell us you can't do a good job and work for 25 a room when in fact there are cleaners who are real hacks out there doing rooms for $10-15. And that's why I don't venture in to the adjacent cities, because they are very competitive. Look at Hagopian and Crowly. They are both making a bunch of money at low prices and doing a great job. Now if you find you aren't staying busy at your high prices, you might need to reconsider your business model and find what works for you and your pocket book. You might just have to get off the supposed board pricing structure and find what works to keep you more busy and put more money in your pocket not to say you can't be less busy and put more money in your pocket.

And the price crap above wasn't to get into a discussion on price. It's to make you aware that 25 bucks a room is possible to clean and stay in business even if you don't want to see it or believe it.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow

Like MEAT and other's said. Also be careful to judge what others do as inferior or hackish. Is McDonalds hackish or an incredibly profitable company serving what 10's of millions of people want every day. Is Outback Steakhouse hackish because they have a system that gives likely a million people an affordable and enjoyable steak experience every day? Most people don't want or can afford a Capital Grille experience for their every day needs and 1000's of companies are cleaning those clients carpet, tile, furniture & rugs without the client needing to pay the equivalent of an extra mortgage payment for the service. Are some of them hacks? I am sure some are, but most are probably hard working people just like you who have a different niche of the market.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

I thought I heard a "swishy" sound coming.
Ken must be back from from his manicure/pedicure and skin exfoliate treatment..... :mrgreen:

BTW, Outback SUCKS...Longhorn kicks their azz in EVERY way
I donno much...but I know meAt!

..L.T.A.

Name
Nate W.

danielc said:
I guess I need to step back and think about this from the customers perspective.

Steve Toburen would have a field day with this....... shiteatinggrin

Everyone makes good points.

Lance you are dead on that people can tell high quality from low quality.

Larry I know a cleaner can do a decent job at a lower price point.

Trust me I am going to keep doing what I have been except I plan on going balls to the wall for a couple months to either pay cash for a new sprinter or buy another house I have been eyeing and let the rental income make the payment. That is the plan. And I am not worried about what any of my competitors do. There are far too many for me to worry about any of them. All I want to do is let any potential customer know there is a difference between the low price spray and suck cleaner and what I do. I can do that in a positive way just by showing what I do and how I do it. So thanks for the feedback.

Oh and Steve can comment on what the customers perspective might be.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow

LOL- I agree with you Larry, just Outback has a larger share of the market. Love the bread at Longhorn!

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins

meAt said:
BTW, Outback SUCKS...Longhorn kicks their azz in EVERY way
I donno much...but I know meAt!

..L.T.A.

If you know meat than I'm sure you've experienced the best tasting meats by going to a brazilian steakhouse, if not than once you do, you're opinion on Longhorn will change forever.

Well I got a nice juicy steak, baked potato, salad, and a basket full of buttery rolls for 10 bucks at O'Charleys. The food was good and the price was great. Beat that.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

danielc said:
Well I got a nice juicy steak, baked potato, salad, and a basket full of buttery rolls for 10 bucks at O'Charleys.

you can't get a "good" steak for $10 bucks at restaurant.
it must of been a HACK cut.
probably an old dried up dairy farm cow marinated to make it mushy enough to chew... :lol:

..L.T.A.

Actually the steak was incredible tender juicy and flavorful sirloin.

I just got done eating a steak off the grill and the steak at O'Charleys was so much better.

Plus you get a salad, baked potato, and a basket of rolls.

It's the best deal I have found when going out.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

danielc said:
Actually the steak was incredible tender juicy and flavorful sirloin.

I just got done eating a steak off the grill and the steak at O'Charleys was so much better.

Plus you get a salad, baked potato, and a basket of rolls.

It's the best deal I have found when going out.

you may have missed the irony in my post, Dan.

you been saying the "flat price" cleaners CAN'T be doing great work.
Yet, you loved a steak that was HALF the price of nearly all "good" steak houses

.L.T.A.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis

Ha Larry,
You beat me to it! I already had it copied and was getting ready to paste when I decided to read the rest of the replies.

There's no doubt that there's not one size to fit all. Look at Big Mike $199 whole house no limit of carpet. I like a steak from O'Charleys, and Longhorns, Outback, and Texas Roadhouse even better but none compare to Malone's. But, I won't pay that high price often and will choose the middle of the road most of the time.

I do room pricing as well, and we land around 98% of all calls coming in. And if a customer wants us to do the vacuming we do that also and we have a price for that as well. But, I find that by requesting the customer to pre-vacumn I can save about 45 minutes per job. My biggest eye opener as of late has been just how much time I can shave off a job by using a helper. I was amazed! I can easily add an entire house of cleaning to each day, make more than what I pay the helper, groom most carpet, sell alot more Scotchgard, and only be 1/2 as tired when I get in from a days work. Now to just get busy enough that I can use the helper each and every day and have it filled to the brim.

BigMike

Name
Mike Swinson

danielc said:
I have a few local competitors that are always promoting the fact that they will clean someones carpet for a low price regardless to the condition and they have never seen the carpet. They are always promoting NO HIDDEN FEES or no UPSELLING and yes they use nice equipment (butlers and EVEREST machines).

Well I have decided to add a page to my site to address this issue.

I am going to title the page something like "We blow the competition away" and list a few things I do different.

This is what I have so far. I am going to work on it for a while until I get it the way I want it.

This is why we blow the competition away.

One price one method NO HIDDEN CHARGE CLEANERS: Remember you get what you pay for.

We are professionals first and foremost. Our job is to give each and every customer the best possible job. A customer that vacuums occasionally and has not had professional cleaning for several years is going to need more work done to their carpet than someone that vacuums daily and has professional cleaning done every 6-12 months. That is a fact.

We see carpet cleaning companies all the time advertise a flat rate with no hidden charges without ever seeing the carpet. How can they do this? Easy, they use the same method and process regardless to how dirty or soiled the carpet is. We call them spray and suck cleaners. The results may be better than before but not the best job by any means. Do they take the time to vacuum properly (this alone could take over an hour), rotary shampoo BEFORE steam cleaning, post pad buff the carpet, speed dry the carpet, or do they just drag their hose in spray the carpet and suck the dirt leaving more dirt behind than they pull out? You guessed right because their price is so low and they promise to do the job for a flat rate that they ARE ACTUALLY DOING AN INFERIOR JOB.

At Mid-South Carpet and Tile Cleaning we have the skills and training to provide the best service possible. We are not SPRAY AND SUCK ONE METHOD CLEANERS. We will go above and beyond what other companies do to get you the best results possible. You will pay a little more, but the job will be far superior and that is GUARANTEED.

For the record....my company has been a fixed price cleaning company for 10yrs now. That's right...FIXED PRICE. That means no hidden charges of any kind for any reason. It also means EVERYTHING is included... spot and stain removal, deodorization...the works. Even pet stains are included. (We do charge extra for protector though) When we say no hidden charges or nickle and dime fees... we mean it. We provide only QUALITY carpet cleaning and have never left more dirt behind than when we started. Granted...there are some hacks out there that do exactly what you are talking about but not everyone who does that is a hack. ALL of my technicians are IICRC certified and must continue training each year. I also have in house training they must complete every 6 months. My company has grown exponentially over this last decade and we have always been a fixed price cleaner. Never been a "splash and dash" company or "spray and suck" as you refer to. In fact, our research has found that the vast majority of consumers are looking to make the buying process easy and without hassle. They don't want to have to calculate every room, or worry about having to pay extra for every little spot and stain...they want a simple and affordable price and that's what we provide along with QUALITY carpet cleaning. We actually do our best to expose the hidden fee cleaners any way we can. We have a local challenge to ANY customer in our service area.... if they find ANY legitimate (not bait and switch, splash and dash or spray and suck) cleaner that offers the same level of quality, value and service that we do... we will match their price and give you a check for the difference! We guarantee our work to be of the highest quality and the best price or WE PAY YOU. When the economy started (and still is) going south...we couldn't keep up with the business. It's because we follow the KISS method. Keep It Simple Stupid! We make it incredibly easy for the customer to buy our service and feel good about it when we leave. So not everyone who does fixed price cleaning is a hack. There are some of us who aren't and truly take pride in our work and our customers. Don't think you can make any money with a fixed price? We topped over a million dollars last year and will do almost twice that this year when it's all said and done. We usually show bookings 6 weeks in advance and we have over 25 appointments set into the holidays already. We have been blessed by God for sure and to him goes the credit!

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner

I started with a Ninja. I wouldn't classify a Ninja job as top quality. Adequate? Yes.
Would people know the diff? Not unless they saw it or were given a reason to doubt the work.
I was told I was too slow cleaning 5rms/12steps/hall with a Ninja when I was taking 2.5hrs. I remember and I would call myself a hack back then. I know how it can be done faster but I wouldn't want to do it. Having 2 guys on one job helps, ie two working as a team not individually with their own machines.

BigMike said:
We have a local challenge to ANY customer in our service area.... if they find ANY legitimate (not bait and switch, splash and dash or spray and suck) cleaner that offers the same level of quality, value and service that we do... we will match their price and give you a check for the difference! We guarantee our work to be of the highest quality and the best price or WE PAY YOU.

Now I agree with your busn plan, serve the masses, gives you more market share and happier clients. I doubt if an O/O could use this plan however. It would take the volume to make it work. Your "challenge" is to find a cleaner charging LESS than you and giving the same service and quality. But why would they or more so, HOW could they?

Here's what one guy commented on my video. Seems appropriate.

You know whats lame, charging 300.00 for 4hours of work not including drive time or van prep so really 5 hours invested LOL, much less trying to sell that outrageous amount in this horrible economy were in where price haggling is trendy, c'mon 490sf for 300.00 Why dont they just replace the carpet? And you gotta be fooling yourself if you think you're making money, the overhead may be small running a cleaning biz but you gotta be at the 100/hr mark or you're gonna starve !
According to him, I should either A. not worry about removing the soil and just focus on making it LOOK clean
or B, charge even more.

Led me to wonder, as a "professional" are we there to make the carpet LOOK clean or do our best to remove the soil load, which 1. will make it look clean, 2. make the carpet last longer 3. make the carpet more sanitary?

If its only the former, well hell, break out the OP's and bonnets. What the hec are we messing with HWE for? Its massively more expensive to operate and maintain and creates far more issues should there actually be a ton of soil IN the carpet and takes twice the time!
If its the latter, why do so many think I'm a nut for taking the time to actually remove the soil?

as for me, I choose to remove the soil. I've seen far too much crap come out of a carpet that I know would still be there if I simply PS-extracted, even if I had a V and a 360i. Its not rocket science or proprietary methods and chemistry, anyone can do it. That carpet in my vid is a prime example.
Did I make a profit? Maybe a little.
Did I do the best I could? Yes.
Is it as clean as I could possibly get it? Yes.

tracywalker

Name
Tracy

I copied Big Mike's business model and run it with a TM and it works for me. Most people just leave a check and the door unlocked now. They KNOW exactly what it will cost before I ever arrive. I just find out over the phone or have them leave me a note if there are any "special areas" to focus on. Fixed pricing works for me. And seriously how many flat out trashed carpets do you run into in residential that needs all the scrubbing, high flushing, post padding that you would like to charge more for anyway? Those people either attempt to clean their own carpets or don't clean at all. I rarely run into a home that has very bad spots. I rarely even have to do spotting. I did 7 areas today and ONLY 1 room even had a spot of dirt on it. Took me about 2 hours and they were thrilled. I get comments all the time about how good of a value my cleaning is. They probably wouldn't consider me a hack nor would they pay twice as much for a dog and pony show cleaning. Nothing wrong with the way the original poster is doing it either, and that is what I like about this business. We can each pick our own path.

TimP

tracywalker said:
I copied Big Mike's business model and run it with a TM and it works for me. Most people just leave a check and the door unlocked now. They KNOW exactly what it will cost before I ever arrive. I just find out over the phone or have them leave me a note if there are any "special areas" to focus on. Fixed pricing works for me. And seriously how many flat out trashed carpets do you run into in residential that needs all the scrubbing, high flushing, post padding that you would like to charge more for anyway? Those people either attempt to clean their own carpets or don't clean at all. I rarely run into a home that has very bad spots. I rarely even have to do spotting. I did 7 areas today and ONLY 1 room even had a spot of dirt on it. Took me about 2 hours and they were thrilled. I get comments all the time about how good of a value my cleaning is. They probably wouldn't consider me a hack nor would they pay twice as much for a dog and pony show cleaning. Nothing wrong with the way the original poster is doing it either, and that is what I like about this business. We can each pick our own path.

I agree

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner

so you go in, let the home owner vac, you pretreat, groom a little if any, and then rinse, no upsell of protectant, and charge $200 plus tax?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner

From Tracy's Home page
If you're looking for the highest quality and most thorough carpet cleaning ever than look no further.Our mission at Walker's Carpet Care is to provide our clients with the most outstanding service experience possible. We make it our passion to constantly educate ourselves and learn all we can about our profession. This means that our clients carpets are always serviced with the latest techniques and equipment.

Now I understand you can clean a carpet pretty decently with "just the basics" of HWE, but that's not what you're promoting Tracy. You're promoting the HIGHEST quality and the MOST thorough. Are you really providing that?

See, I went into a house today with 8rooms myself. I had a helper that vacuumed for 3 hrs, (he's new and does a little overkill, even by me. I would have been about 2.) Presprayed it, scrubbed it in with a Whittaker, gave it a thorough rinse. In at 1230, out at 530. I KNOW I gave him the MOST thorough cleaning and the HIGHEST quality. Hec, it looked significantly better after just the prep.
But from what I'm reading on here its being implied there is NO difference between the cleaning I provided, taking 5hrs with 2 techs, and Tracy's (using you for an example only because we both happened to do the similar jobs sizes) done in 2 hrs. Could I have done the same job with the same result in 2hrs? Don't think so.
Oh, I didn't charge $200 either and my client said:
"I hired you because you do a great job. When you stop doing a great job then I won't call"

gary mackay

New Day, New Tactics, Do what you got to do to survive this depression! Pissin & Whinin won't get you no where but on high blood meds! It's hack warfare, don't worry about being a hater, get the work, your price, feed your family, survive & thrive!

TimP

gary mackay said:
New Day, New Tactics, Do what you got to do to survive this depression! Pissin & Whinin won't get you no where but on high blood meds! It's hack warfare, don't worry about being a hater, get the work, your price, feed your family, survive & thrive!

And truth be told that's what many of us are having to do.

I texted Rex yesturday and he's had a very rough go of things for sure. Not my story to tell but I feel for the guy. But I understand where he's coming from financially. It's been very tough times.

tim

Alot of really good replies here! I laughed out loud when the steak analogy came full circle :lol: (didnt see that one coming, did you Daniel?) I think Meat and Ken hit the nail on the head. The main point I would make, for what it is worth, spend your effort telling customers what YOU do that is different and WHY. In a connections "seminar" Howard Partridge said to list your cleaning procedure in steps. List as many as you can and explain them. We implemented advertising a 12 step cleaning method with great results. I focus on giving my customers the best experience possible. I tell my employees that if a customer can be satisfied with another service after we have cleaned for them, we need to work on improving.

The one thing (or I should say one of the things) you cant control is what other companies charge or what services they provide. There will always be companies that will be willing to work on a slimmer profit margin than you. It doesnt always mean poor quality. It doesnt make them a "hack". They may be fine with $10 an hour, that's their business. You implied I was a hack once because I use CTI's Extreme Clean on heavily soiled carpet! Be proud of your business model and tout its benefits to your customer, they will figure out if it fits their needs or not. I just focus on services that I feel set me apart from low-price companies and look for customers that appreciate the extra attention. It isnt always just about clean. Nice, clean uniforms, on-time arrivals, corner guards, free spot bottle for life, free red stain removal, bringing in Airpath fans to leave carpet dry to the touch, damp mopping wood or tile on the way out....These are things my customers love and are willing to pay more for. If these services are not important to them, they may not be my client. Thats ok, there are plenty out there that are! We all face the same thing and have to decide what works for them and for thier market. My prices would make me a hack to Clean as A Whistle or Mikeys company!

N

NJ104

Hey Floorguy what video are you talking about and where could I see that video?

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow

Wow a 2 page thread with no conclusion of who's "wand" is bigger.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug

NJ104 said:
Hey Floorguy what video are you talking about and where could I see that video?

huh??

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley

I didn't read the whole thread so forgive me but I have www.25dollarsaroom.com and I do everything in my power to make sure those carpets are as clean as possible. Maybe that is why you DanielC live in a podunk $60,000 shanty and I have over a million dollars in homes. I don'r judge others businesses as you do, I compete.
Shut you ******* pie hole and go make some money. You are lucky your not in my area because not only would you customers get better service, better cleaner and have a better looking guy doing it. Go under the fake rock you came from because you couldn't afford a real rock living at home with daddy or mommy

joe harper

Name
joe harper

Greg Crowley said:
I didn't read the whole thread so forgive me but I have http://www.25dollarsaroom.com and I do everything in my power to make sure those carpets are as clean as possible. Maybe that is why you DanielC live in a podunk $60,000 shanty and I have over a million dollars in homes. I don'r judge others businesses as you do, I compete.
Shut you ******* pie hole and go make some money. You are lucky your not in my area because not only would you customers get better service, better cleaner and have a better looking guy doing it. Go under the fake rock you came from because you couldn't afford a real rock living at home with daddy or mommy

I can think of .."ONE THING"...that little DaNNY...doesn't have... :idea:

A WIFE THAT "KnoCks DowN".... SIX FIGURES ...a year... :shock: 8)

"That might make ..."a-little"...Differance".... :roll: :p :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom