This weekend turned bad...

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Last night myself and 3 other technicians were at a monthly contracted commercial cleaning job. One of my technicians had a seizure right at the top of the second floor stairwell and fell down 10 stairs. (He is 27). Shaking, bleeding, didn't know his name, my name, 911 was called, ambulance came and I went straight to the hospital with him. Was there until past Midnite. (BTW, he is okay today, just body is in pain from falling down the stairs, he is following up w/physician this week). I had the other 2 technicians finish up the cleaning as we were almost to the end, on top of having to remove, sanitize, etc. the blood from the stairs landing. A medical emergency has never happened to me before at any job. We have been cleaning this commercial property for over a year now. All the staff was great, calling 911, sitting next to him with me, helping out, calling me today to ask how the tech was and on.. I feel horrible this happened to him and even feel a little awkward with this client now. I'm thinking to send a Thank you letter to them or card for their help in assisting?

Last night, I called one of the technicians and asked them to work today due to him obviously needing to be off for a while. I was also planning on letting a tech go on Monday that just isn't working out. The tech that was supposed to work today, didn't show up. I called and texted him at 8am no response. At 9:30am it showed he read my text. I then get a text from him at 4pm saying, he is going back to school and doesn't want to work anymore. So pretty much screwed me. I took a truck and did 5 jobs alone today. I remember why I have 2 technicians on 1 truck. I HATE working alone. No 2 weeks notice, just quit.

The technician I am letting go on Monday, backed into a landscapers truck on Friday. He didn't call and tell me. The landscapers wife called our office number. It was a very small dent, the landscapers vehicle had dents all over it also. I told him to exchange insurance info with the guy, and the guy said no, that he would call me. There was no damage to our vehicle. So the landscaper calls and says he doesn't want to go through insurance to just give him $100. OK. I called my insurance agent told him of this, he sent me a document template with text basically saying the guy relieved any liability by signing this and receiving $100. At first, his wife tried calling me and saying all the dents were from us. Later he called (didn't speak english well) and said no, just wants the cash..

Of course, last 2 weeks we have been slow. This upcoming week, I have 32 jobs booked with 2 - $1,000 commercial jobs scheduled. WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS.

Thanks for letting me vent that out. I swear, running your own business, you just learn how to deal with these things as they come. Nothing can really prepare you for this.

Last edited:

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Anything else goes wrong, I'm moving to Gville. It would be nice to live rent free again, if I could stand staying at my Mom's house for more than 3 days. :) She does have a pretty big garage, I'm sure I could hall all the trucks down there. I'll be WashoeCountyCarpetCleaning.

The problem I have now is hiring 2 more guys. I hate going through Craigslist and have usually worked on referrals to us. There is a reason labor is plentiful.

Reactions: Mikey P
Name
Nate W.
I'd call INS on the landscaper..............:shifty:

Damn, that's a stroke of bad luck.... You'll pull through it.... You shouldn't feel awkward around the client, sh!t happens and it's not in your control...

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Wow, what a crummy day! Hope your guy's doc figures out why he had the seizure in the first place. Also hoping you find some reliable help.

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
jus wait till the helper that fell accuses YOU of using harmful chems an' lawyers up on you.......!

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
hang in There Will-- You will overcome this as well and you will feel empowered by your success-- its all goes with the territory of owning a business...

I had such a stressful December, I had to ran away back to Thailand for some R&R-- I just left Thailand 32 days ago!-

But my lead tech reminded me that it was a good thing I was in the USA to handle all the Drama and was able to keep the business running.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Thanks for the post... Just terrible to hear about all of this though and a good reason to count our blessing everyday the business is firing on all cylinders....

And also be ready as much as we can for those sucky days.... Ugh!!!

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
Yes...definitely send them a thank you card, a very nice personalized one, maybe even a gift basket or a box of delicious pastries brought in by you.
You have no need to feel awkward about it. People are human and compassionate, and it sounds like they are all good people there.
Hope he is doing better, and they find out what did cause it. Be prepared, they may tell him not to clean carpets anymore.
Here's to hoping you find some more good help....:very_drunk:

Mikey P

Administrator
Hire those two..

1535540_10202094243931872_411351097_n.jpg

Reactions: WillS

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom