This, will help everybody

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Mikey, Jim and everybody interested.

It would be GREAT and would help all of us if we had a reliability data on different truck mounts,portables etc.

A database that many cleaners will fill regarding their equipment (not what they heard, but what they experience themselves) and that can not be manipulated (hopefully not too much.) How many times did the machine break down, after how many hours, was the manufacturer helpful and behind their product or was it difficult to deal with, etc.

I think that through the years it will clearly reveal some very interesting information as the data builds. It will definitely help all of us when we make purchasing decisions.

It is one of the things that I found missing (and not trustworthy) in all publications due to their reliance on advertisers.

It also may promote this BB that is sometime suspected to promote some of its "favorite sons."

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
something like an equipment room....that focus on the type of equipment and what types of problem and/or reliability ....problems...trouble shooting ..etc..etc.....??

Able 1

Name
Keith
I like this idea... Not so much of a room to talk s*%t about particular equipment but to point out the good and bad points of the equipment that we have purchased... I also believe it would be good for all! This would be the consumer reports of the carpet cleaning industry... Of course you would have to be a "Supporting Member" to use this room... Consumer Reports is like $30 a year and last time I looked they didn't have porty's, ect. in there...

hogjowl

Idiot™
Nobody is going to say anything bad about their TM purchases. Think of the worst TM mfg., bulletin board poster, you know, and then consider that nobody ever says anything bad about him.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Jim:
Since models change constantly I would view it much more of a feedback about:

1) Manufacturers. Their products dependability and track record. Their support of the product etc. For example, the track record that Toyota had for never seeing your mechanic persuaded us to buy a Corolla and then a Camry. You know what? The reputation was correct. Though these were two different models each car we kept for about 9 years and we hardly ever saw our mechanic.

2) A continuous feedback in case a manufacturer that started great went down hill.

3) Source of info regarding ease of use and maintenance. Availability of parts, costs etc.

If enough people will participate and some controls used (if possible) to avoid multiple posting to influence the data. It will be harder to manipulate results.

Another issue is that the majority of us have not used many different truck mounts so we are more familiar with ours. I for example had only two and both are HydraMaster CDS. I can not write anything about other truckmounts but I can surely write about the CDS it's advantages and disadvantages. Once enough people write and the Data grows, it will build information about lots of manufacturers. I am sure it will be very revealing.

Marty: I don't know why not!
Wouldn't you want to tell people if you had either a good or a bad experience? Reward the good ones and punish the bad ones. I certainly would rate my truck mount manufacturer. I believe that if someone is good they should be rewarded and people know about them and their product and vice versa.

I, for one, will definitely use this data feedback as an important factor in deciding what to buy. Let the good one prosper and the lemons and crooks go out of business.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I'm not sure why either. All I know is what I see. I can name you about three bulletin board mfgs who make junk. It's widely known amoung those of us who speak privately, but those who tell the truth privately, won't normally say it publically.

I think it's because they are stuck with junk, and need the support of the mfg. to keep it running.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Wouldn't be valid as I've seen some really poorly maintained TM that were bought new to begin with.

I could never figure out why a owner op neglects his "Money maker".

DRScrivner

Can you create a room, that subs into smaller rooms?

Like a main "Equipment Issues/Realibity" room and sub that into a Butler, Vortex, Portables, White Magic, etc with their own room with the threads in there?

Seems like that would be the easiest.

If would also be a MAJOR upgraded if you could highlight the thread to preread it and you could bypass some of these DAT.... what a waste of time...lol

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
admiralclean said:
I'm not sure why either. All I know is what I see. I can name you about three bulletin board mfgs who make junk. It's widely known amoung those of us who speak privately, but those who tell the truth privately, won't normally say it publically.

I think it's because they are stuck with junk, and need the support of the mfg. to keep it running.
You may be right but my experience is that you can make more money by switching to a better machine. We can ask people if they would do it. I will.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Walrus said:
Wouldn't be valid as I've seen some really poorly maintained TM that were bought new to begin with.

I could never figure out why a owner op neglects his "Money maker".
You are right and I am sure no one will admit to being a negligent owner. However, assuming most of us take a reasonable care of our main tool to make a living, if enough people write the reviews their number will become less meaningful statistically.

On the light side: I guess we can draw a correlation between the number of posts and proper maintenance. The main assumption will be that the more posts the less time to maintain.
Or is it the other way around. Those that post a lot actually will exercise the same care and take the time to maintain their equipment.
You be the judge.

Marty?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Marty.
Don't be shy.
As the leader and uncontested poster of this board, and if I may say: "A Champion Poster."
what do you say about the theory about correlation between number of posts and quality of maintenance.

The reason is that I can not ask the non posters about their maintenance quality because ...
well....
They never post.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Having never seen the vast majority of bulletin board junkies themselves, much less their rigs, there's no way for me to say.

What is your point?

DRScrivner

Steven Hoodlebrink said:
DRScrivner said:
Can you create a room, that subs into smaller rooms?

Like a main "Equipment Issues/Realibity" room and sub that into a Butler, Vortex, Portables, White Magic, etc with their own room with the threads in there?

Seems like that would be the easiest.

That is how the "other board" has it. I'm sure Mikey would get another pajama lawyer letter for "coping". Although I do sort of like the concept and its a great suggestion.
I don't have a login at *** (assuming that that is the "other board". So Mikey can have MY original idea.

He could do it with a "Chemical Room" too that subs into "Pre-Sprays", "Rinses", "Protectors", "Spotters", etc.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
admiralclean said:

You got a problem with that Marty? I don't "Rip Powerclean a new one" for that reason alone. I might not be totally pleased with their service but until I hit the "point of no return", I have to maintain some civility because I don't want a machine I can't get parts for. On the other hand, If I had a machine with no proprietary parts, I'd bitch alot sooner.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Not sensitive at all. I'm merely stating that if you cause too big of a stir, the manufacturers might tell you to "F" off and then you're left with nothing. So, it's kind of a balancing act whether bust some balls or not. It's kinda like ripping the only mechanic who will work on Saturdays.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
one way around that very valid point is to make posts/posters anonymous

other stumbling blocks are those with agendas or an ax to grind, few hours/honeymoon period with a TM, lack of experience to know what is and isn't "normal" down time out of 4000 hours, etc

it's also plenty subjective depending on the individual.
What one guy might think is trivial or easy fix, another less mechanical guy could consider it major issue

I like the idea, just not sure how accurate and reliable it would be given human nature
not to mention the ineptness of BDCC'rs in general...

..L.T.A.

Greenie

Doug, let em have it, the PC boys can take an ass chewin' those parts aren't that hard to find with or without their blessing, and I believe that many of those TM mfgs. are reading and taking note of these daily comments, there are obviously more sensible and reasonable ways to communicate a shortcoming that will produce results....I'm just not personally that eloquent, hopefully you are.

Mikey P

Administrator
Back in the first few months of MB I set up a area that had a room for each brand of TM.

Nothing ever became of any but the Vortex Room which later morphed into the High Performance room.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom