Those who do more than three jobs per van/day

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Those who do more than 2-3 jobs per van/day, do you: move furniture, vac, prespray, prescrub with machine, block furniture, place blowers, etc? I rarely do more than two average-size jobs per day and I can't figure how you're doing more unless you're skipping steps.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Those who do more than 2-3 jobs per van/day, do you: move furniture, vac, prespray, prescrub with machine, block furniture, place blowers, etc? I rarely do more than two average-size jobs per day and I can't figure how you're doing more unless you're skipping steps.

Yes to all, except not usually place blowers.

It's just a bust it out and make your body feel the pain (love) for the week.

We are using 2 vans a lot yet, but instead of 3 of us, we are down to 2 people. An extra helper is nice to help with those steps, but we adjust and are trying to catch up on finances after this horrible winter and Spring.

Wife just told me that we have already made up for the money we had to use from our line of credit. (thank goodness!)

As I get older, it does seem a little more difficult though....LOL!

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
We do 3-6 jobs a day depending on size and we have a helper (lead tech in training). I couldn't imagine having to use a fan to help dry and most of the "special priced" packages are sold with customer vacuuming. We move (block or tab) most furniture. We do not move pianos, china cabinets (unless emptied), electronics, grandfather clocks, beds or heavy dressers or those with flimsy mirrors. We will move beds if mattresses and box springs are removed or if we do that we usually charge extra.

The perfect day for is is a 3-5 room at start the day then a whole house before lunch then lunch and a 3-5 rooms and another whole house.

When we are doing empty rentals we sometimes will do around 30 rooms a day

Reactions: Able 1 and Johnny

Mikey P

Administrator
Don't fall into the trap (that you most likely learned here) of over cleaning each and every carpet. Be realistic and learn to identify the rooms or areas in homes that don't need prevacuuming or prevent scrubbing, hell, even pre spraying for that matter.

Keep watching those *** videos and reading Ron Werner threads and you'll be down to one job a day in no time.

Can I assume you are running 2" hose to a 14 inch wand?

Do you have a helper? If you're constantly booked out than get one as they more than pay for themselves.

Last edited:
Name
I'm Rick James
I've noticed that some companies work so hard to get customers and then are too rushed to give the customer a good experience.. Its amazing how so many companies are so lazy to use air movers or even groom the carpets after they are done because they have to rush to the next job. That is the reason they called a company and dry times are top 2 for customers with their needs. I like to work hard at giving the customer an amazing experience so I don't have to work hard at marketing.. Booked almost 3 weeks out with a chunky job average. I just got my new business cards done too..

View attachment 4808

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I used to work in the warehousing industry. One of the ways they would boost production was to have industrial engineers come in and study how product was placed, equipment was run, the way it was driven and parked..... And so on. There was a term called "method of movement". A lot of time was wasted with unnecessary movements. I've carried these habits over into carpet cleaning. I always look for wasted time and ways to be more efficient. Time can be cut by looking at these areas. You would be surprised at how much time is wasted, in little increments, on each job. This ads up quickly.
Try to do things like always have something in your hands when going to and from the van. Go out to the van to get something, take something with you. Bring something back when coming back to the house.

Charlie Lyman

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Charlie

We call that method madness.

Each movement is made to achieve maximum production rates.

Its why they made Robots
Their brains don fart as much as us humans. Or have bad days : )

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
The cleaners who charge half as much as we do likely do twice as many jobs or square feet per hour as I do, and make similar money. You get what you pay for. Every cleaner charges what they are worth. Otherwise they would have fewer customers or would be working hard for little or nothing. Choose the market that suits you.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Method of movement? Is that different from time and motion?

#1 - Routing to minimize drive time. Sometimes this means not taking a twenty mile drive even if you have an opening on the schedule. If you want to take that drive, book it far enough out so you can schedule other jobs in that direction on the same day. Exception: $2,000 job.

#2 - Buy some self-help books to build your self-esteem so you can skip "four to the door" or any other time-wasting goofiness that only you think makes a difference to your customer. Remember that the less time you feel have to spend building trust, the more the customer trusts you. Be professionally friendly, do the job and let them get on with their day. Exception: $2,000 job. Spend the day. Wash and put away the dishes while you're there.

Before you get to the house let the customer know how to be ready for cleaning. You may find that offering a discount if the customer moves small stuff will be your best investment.

As you drive up decided how to park and your layout to the house. As you walk up the first time, carry something and look for the water hook-up. Bring everything you need to the house (airmovers, rotaries) as this beats stopping your work to run out to the truck. Move furniture out, clean, move back, tab, clean the open areas.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
$134,000 but some of that I'll never collect. :icon_cry:

Filed suit on a roofer last week that's deep in debt and I'll be lucky if we ever see a dime from. I have a developer that owes me much less than the roofer but same problem.

Tough times for others, can often be tough times for us no matter how careful we are with who we work for. We'd worked for both of them several times before and been paid. Money was never a problem with them before, but now..... :neutral:

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
$8,103.00 here..

<tbody>
</tbody>

$37,495.38 here.

Damn insurance companies on $16,711.50 They are not in a hurry to get back to anyone around here. Some of it out a very long time!

The rest, should be seen within 30 days or less $20,783.88!

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I was choked last month on a larger fire. :cry:

It took 6-weeks AFTER billing to collect $37K. Insurance company to blame for most of it but it still took two weeks for the corp to process.

Fortunately not all pay slow, some have paid within a week which really helps with cash flow.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Method of movement? Is that different from time and motion?.

Maybe. It has to do with positioning yourself and the objects you are working with to minimize movement and travel time.
In the warehouse we were taught to drive a forklift up to a rack in a certain way and lift and turn into a pallet a certain way. I saw a pallet go from taking 4 minutes to be dropped to 1.5 minutes just by changing the way the rack was approached.

Reactions: spotman123

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Don't fall into the trap (that you most likely learned here) of over cleaning each and every carpet. Be realistic and learn to identify the rooms or areas in homes that don't need prevacuuming or prevent scrubbing, hell, even pre spraying for that matter.

Very, very well said... Not sure about skipping the flipping pre spray(there goes the guru status)... Really though, Mike is right.

The last couple of years I've learned, I simple can't be the most thorough carpet cleaner on earth for a 130$ job. 130$ job I need to get the neck outta dodge as fast as possible.

I would for sure think about the flow of how you do things. I'm by myself and I'd beat you!:razz:

One thing that has helped tremendously because the wife answers the phones now she is WAY better than I was at getting people to move their crap(even a little) helps and getting them to pre vac. Not all pre vac - when they do it's great! If I had a helper I'd make him vac! WAIT... I MEAN WHEN I GET MY HELPER...:rockon:

Able 1

Name
Keith
$134,000 but some of that I'll never collect. :icon_cry:

Filed suit on a roofer last week that's deep in debt and I'll be lucky if we ever see a dime from. I have a developer that owes me much less than the roofer but same problem.

Tough times for others, can often be tough times for us no matter how careful we are with who we work for. We'd worked for both of them several times before and been paid. Money was never a problem with them before, but now..... :neutral:

134,000 in a week?:eekk: I am on the wrong side of this gig..

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
As you drive up decided how to park and your layout to the house. As you walk up the first time, carry something and look for the water hook-up. Bring everything you need to the house (airmovers, rotaries) as this beats stopping your work to run out to the truck. Move furniture out, clean, move back, tab, clean the open areas.
So true, Bryan. Working "too fast" as in rushing around becomes a negative Moment of Truth for the customer.

But clients love to see efficiency on the part of your techs. In fact, we even developed a step-by-step Residential Set-up List that our techs followed on what went up to the house on each trip. If Jeff didn't share it with you HERE it is.

Steve

PS We used a magic phrase over the phone, "Just clear the decks for action."

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
We ask the customer to Vac.
We do 3-5 per truck. Depends on size of job.
We have rarely pre scrub. Like Steve and bill teach get better clients and you clean cleaner carpets.
We move basic furniture and tab.
We teach techs never make a trip empty handed.
We have a load in and out process.
We have solo crews.
We book out 3-7 days. New customers want service in under 3 days. People want it now in our instant society.

I keep 3 months reserve so outstanding invoices are not a concern. Part of doing commercial. We always get payment on residential.

Last edited:

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Thanks Bryan
To add to the great post.
Having levels of service allows you to charge more. If someone wants everything moved that is premium service mrs. Jones that cost x per room or sq ft.

Method of movement? Is that different from time and motion?

#1 - Routing to minimize drive time. Sometimes this means not taking a twenty mile drive even if you have an opening on the schedule. If you want to take that drive, book it far enough out so you can schedule other jobs in that direction on the same day. Exception: $2,000 job.

#2 - Buy some self-help books to build your self-esteem so you can skip "four to the door" or any other time-wasting goofiness that only you think makes a difference to your customer. Remember that the less time you feel have to spend building trust, the more the customer trusts you. Be professionally friendly, do the job and let them get on with their day. Exception: $2,000 job. Spend the day. Wash and put away the dishes while you're there.

Before you get to the house let the customer know how to be ready for cleaning. You may find that offering a discount if the customer moves small stuff will be your best investment.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Are you using a rinse agent?

Mike, I generally use soapfree as a rinse/emulsifier. Actually won an auction here for it and have liked it. However, I have had a few wicking issues in the last few months.

I'm now using the magic wand neutral product, I also won here. Very active product!

Mikey P

Administrator
Tom

You've set your self up as THE Premium company in town.

Are the other Premium companies pre vacuuming?

Most if not all homes without a good housekeeper will have a vacuum with a loose belt, plugged up filter or over stuffed bag.
Most home owners do not vacuum properly. They go hunting for visible soil (crumbs, lint, leaves etc) A slow methodical approach with emphasis on the back pull is key. Spending time on door ways, pivot areas, traffic lanes and all the obvious areas will help prevent wicking, stiff fibers and just plain dinginess.

If the home owner is home it's especially important to put on a show when pre vacuuming, let them see you edging, reaching behind the bead or other unmovable items.

Talk about a PMOT!

please dont make me do a video on how to vacuum a carpet.

and shame on you for only running with one monkey per truck. Didn't Ken teach you anything?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom