Those who do more than three jobs per van/day

Mikey P

Administrator
Mike, I generally use soapfree as a rinse/emulsifier. Actually won an auction here for it and have liked it. However, I have had a few wicking issues in the last few months.

I'm now using the magic wand neutral product, I also won here. Very active product!

Active indeed, keep the lid on our mix jug on tight!..lol

We have two mix jugs, one for the Magic Potion Neutral and one for an Acid rinse.

either of which are more than enough to rinse clean carpet with...a term we call Water Wanding..

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I do 4 to 5 a day with a helper
helper pre vac's with shark, I setup, go to farthest point work your way out, move knick knacks, lift bed skirts, hang drapes, throw everything else on beds unless they're to be moved.

Depending on whose done first helper or myself pre spray 5 oz powermax in 4 to 1 hydro force, then rake into carpet rarely 175, start rinsing with 16 oz slurry into six gallon pre mix running 4 gph. Drop fans as we go 3 dri pods 2 small snails from cleanfreak.com, and a Airpath, Hand out shoe covers and remind customer of slippery hard surfaces with my tagline "No ice skating!" I will use that at least 2 to 3 times per job.

The last thing anyone wants is someone busting their butt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Tom

You've set your self up as THE Premium company in town.

Are the other Premium companies pre vacuuming?

Most if not all homes without a good housekeeper will have a vacuum with a loose belt, plugged up filter or over stuffed bag.
Most home owners do not vacuum properly. They go hunting for visible soil (crumbs, lint, leaves etc) A slow methodical approach with emphasis on the back pull is key. Spending time on door ways, pivot areas, traffic lanes and all the obvious areas will help prevent wicking, stiff fibers and just plain dinginess.

If the home owner is home it's especially important to put on a show when pre vacuuming, let them see you edging, reaching behind the bead or other unmovable items.

Talk about a PMOT!

please dont make me do a video on how to vacuum a carpet.

and shame on you for only running with one monkey per truck. Didn't Ken teach you anything?

Not that your were banging on Tom, but in general that statement is...

POWERFUL : )

Able 1

Name
Keith
We ask the customer to Vac.
We do 3-5 per truck. Depends on size of job.
We have rarely pre scrub. Like Steve and bill teach get better clients and you clean cleaner carpets.
We move basic furniture and tab.
We teach techs never make a trip empty handed.
We have a load in and out process.
We have solo crews.
We book out 3-7 days. New customers want service in under 3 days. People want it now in our instant society.

I keep 3 months reserve so outstanding invoices are not a concern. Part of doing commercial. We always get payment on residential.

I run like Tom..

Reactions: TomKing

Able 1

Name
Keith
Last week we did 34 jobs, all repeat or referral.. Must be doing something right! I am always thinking of ways to make things more efficient.. As far as advertizing I don't do much, I have a lame website, and I did 5,000 flyers this year. I do all my estimates over the phone, and book 99% this way(a sign that my prices are too low). If your custy's are willing to pay you $100 per hour to vacuum their carpet more power to ya! I charge $140 for 4 rooms and hall, and we can clean that in about 45 minuets with two guys.. Hard to give up something that is working so well.

BTW I work in a very conservative area, and most jobs are within a couple miles from the last. Keeping things close helps a LOT!

Name
I'm Rick James
Yes we carry a vacuum on every truck and it is used.

I didn't get multi truck being a jackass.

If you have the vacuums on every van and charge top dollar why aren't you prevacuuming every job, especially when its universally agreed to remove 60-80% of the dry soil in the carpets?

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
That's why I listen when Mike chimes in. I'm sure there are a lot of things we might not agree on but I believe the guy knows this craft as well as anyone and I respect a straight shooter. I'm here to learn, not pretend to be something I'm not.

There are a couple basic things I NEEDED to learn before I could become a quality or "high end" carpet cleaner.

The first seems silly to me now and that is vacuum the carpet first. Most home owners DO vacuum, at our request, prior to our arrival. The problem is...their vacuum doesn't work very well for a variety of reasons. There are times when I don't vacuum but they are rare in residential situations (and I'm alone...for now).

The second is equally important. AGITATION. It's key to being a great carpet cleaner. I spent @ 14 years with only a Grandi Groomer to agitate carpet. I honestly feel foolish now. If you are not using a CRB, 175, or Rotary Extractor you are setting the stage for a great carpet cleaner to come behind you and make you look like a chump.

I finally ordered a carpet brush to go under my 175 last night. Mike urged me to get one in the first conversation we ever had. I was slow to listen. I put the beast on my rig today, even though I don't have the brush yet. I just have to get used to bringing it everywhere. This is an elementary concept that took me way too long to learn.

Tom, I respect you and the business you are building. I really do. That's why I was asking about whether you carry a vacuum or not. There are LOTS of business models that can work and make a guy good money. Look at Stanley Steemer, COIT, ZeroRez, and we can't forget Hagopian. The truth is, you don't have to vacuum to make good $. I just couldn't go back after knowing what I know now.

I had to learn not to play by other companies rules. I come here to learn and glean what I can from so many different perspectives. We would all do well to be open and honest and teachable.

The Clean Machine

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
That's why I listen when Mike chimes in. I'm sure there are a lot of things we might not agree on but I believe the guy knows this craft as well as anyone and I respect a straight shooter. I'm here to learn, not pretend to be something I'm not.

There are a couple basic things I NEEDED to learn before I could become a quality or "high end" carpet cleaner.

The first seems silly to me now and that is vacuum the carpet first. Most home owners DO vacuum, at our request, prior to our arrival. The problem is...their vacuum doesn't work very well for a variety of reasons. There are times when I don't vacuum but they are rare in residential situations (and I'm alone...for now).

The second is equally important. AGITATION. It's key to being a great carpet cleaner. I spent @ 14 years with only a Grandi Groomer to agitate carpet. I honestly feel foolish now. If you are not using a CRB, 175, or Rotary Extractor you are setting the stage for a great carpet cleaner to come behind you and make you look like a chump.

I finally ordered a carpet brush to go under my 175 last night. Mike urged me to get one in the first conversation we ever had. I was slow to listen. I put the beast on my rig today, even though I don't have the brush yet. I just have to get used to bringing it everywhere. This is an elementary concept that took me way too long to learn.

Tom, I respect you and the business you are building. I really do. That's why I was asking about whether you carry a vacuum or not. There are LOTS of business models that can work and make a guy good money. Look at Stanley Steemer, COIT, ZeroRez, and we can't forget Hagopian. The truth is, you don't have to vacuum to make good $. I just couldn't go back after knowing what I know now.

I had to learn not to play by other companies rules. I come here to learn and glean what I can from so many different perspectives. We would all do well to be open and honest and teachable.

The Clean Machine

Nice Russ!
Yeah he got me to start vacuuming too and detail vacuuming at that.

Mike for President :numfi:

Reactions: Russ T.

Becker

Name
Becker
Don't ya have to wonder when a client asks what you are doing while prespraying the carpet?

Guessing that cleaner was a 7 a day avg guy.

As for more than 3, 4 is my desired limit unless I know they are small.
3 is a 2nd van limit, I can't expect anyone to work as hard and as efficient as I.

Reactions: SamIam

Becker

Name
Becker
nope...

Tight service area for the most part. Limited travel time between jobs. Not everyday, but a lot of times, 1st job is just a few miles away and at the end of the day less than 20 miles put on the van.

Reactions: TomKing

Able 1

Name
Keith
nope...

Tight service area for the most part. Limited travel time between jobs. Not everyday, but a lot of times, 1st job is just a few miles away and at the end of the day less than 20 miles put on the van.

Not sure I would knock on guy doing 7 jobs a day when they are running efficiently.. I have a rock star helper with 25 years experience. Do you let him wand, or is that your job all the time?

Able 1

Name
Keith
So, seven jobs a day would be more attainable if you were to manage better? Not to knock you Becker, it just amazes me when people say " you can't do it that fast, or your a hack" when they are running all alone and WAY inefficient. If you want to hold the wand all day more power to ya.. Continue with your hobby.

Becker

Name
Becker
So, seven jobs a day would be more attainable if you were to manage better? Not to knock you Becker, it just amazes me when people say " you can't do it that fast, or your a hack" when they are running all alone and WAY inefficient. If you want to hold the wand all day more power to ya.. Continue with your hobby.

way to many hobbies.

Van one. 9, 11:30, 2 pm and 4:30
van two 9 noon and 3pm

it works most of the time.

Name
I'm Rick James
Russ, like you I am looking at raising my prices and that is why I am deciding on the whole prevacuum procedure.. I am around $75 a room (clean&protect) and only prevac when needed.. but that is to inconsistent for me and the brand I am working on. I also feel if someone is offer premium priced services they should be AT LEAST doing the cleaning the way the industry guidelines recommend.. if not, that is more like a premium hack, something I don't want to be. I also have a hard time finding a good vacuum that will last..

Reactions: Russ T.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom