Tired of working

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
When I went to SFS I hung around with a great guy who visits the boards and all the guys were talking about the aches and pains, back, legs etc and I said "I have none of those problems".

Skip forward 2 years and man my body aches. It could be because I weigh 300 lbs, I don't consider myself fat(my wife may or may not have the same opinion) but I am fit.

I slept until 7:30 today because I was just tired. My hobby has become a business. We have 3 vans running and my only saving grace is our system so it is automatic what is done so we roll in and like clockwork do the job. I was getting off the truck but that was when we only could feed 2 with a little overflow (I did the overflow).

I am not sure if I can afford another tech going into the winter, what should I do? Break down and have an answerring service? Will service monkey be able to generate enough business to hire someone and not worry about feb and early march?

Give some advice, I would love to just sit around and drink all day

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
XTREME1 said:
When I went to SFS I hung around with a great guy who visits the boards and all the guys were talking about the aches and pains, back, legs etc and I said "I have none of those problems".

Skip forward 2 years and man my body aches. It could be because I weigh 300 lbs, I don't consider myself fat(my wife may or may not have the same opinion) but I am fit.

I slept until 7:30 today because I was just tired. My hobby has become a business. We have 3 vans running and my only saving grace is our system so it is automatic what is done so we roll in and like clockwork do the job. I was getting off the truck but that was when we only could feed 2 with a little overflow (I did the overflow).

I am not sure if I can afford another tech going into the winter, what should I do? Break down and have an answerring service? Will service monkey be able to generate enough business to hire someone and not worry about feb and early march?

I feel your pain, Greg. Seriously. I work out regularly and yet I'm definitely stiff in the mornings. A few comments:

1. No offense, Greg. but at 300# you are almost certainly not "fit". Sorry, but you are in denial. The more you weigh it is a no-brainer that the more ya gotta lug around. Lose weight and get in shape.

2. Re: affording another tech I don't know how your winters roll. But from a non-scientific standpoint I'm reminded of the famous line from "Field of Dreams": "If you build it they will come." I found that to be true when I added another employee. the work came in assuming you can answer this one:

3. What will you do with your free time not pushing the wand? If you can avoid all the very tempting "Displacement Activities" out there and actually market then you will easily generate the work to keep another employee busy. (And more.)

Don't beat up the messenger, Greg, and my very best wishes.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS I'm not sure "sitting around and drinking all day" falls under "productive business activities". :) (Not that I have anything against hoisting one or two or three.)

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Thanks Steve I appreciate the input.

Last winter I jumped the gun wanting to get bigger company wise and almost lost my shirt, so the concern is legit. I do not have the reserves to fund 3 vans and employees. I wish I made the decision in May rather than now.

I do need to drop LBs but hey like my doctors says "some people are meant to be bigger". He isn't concerned so I am not too concerned. I always eat healthy except at SFS. My numbers are great for my age.

My question is does it make sense to extend employees hours and have them do some of what I would do. I won't be doing much more in terms of marketing since I am the primary caregiver for my family

Mikey P

Administrator
38 days on a secluded island ought to help

Cut your time down to 4 days on the truck like I did, it's a start and most of the pains will go away.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
XTREME1 said:

Go back to one truck, with you and a chimp. I'm working alone (as always) but my new 360i take all the stress off my shoulders and my long time aches are gone. If you get off the truck and just sit there and bark orders you will die in ten years at 450 lbs. It won't be pretty.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I disagree with that Art. I was always in my best shape when I had extra time. I am a gym rat but there is no time.

I was almost off the truck but bang have been too busy. I am thinking of shifting the business a little to keep me entertained to polished concrete

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Mikey P said:
Cut your time down to 4 days on the truck like I did, it's a start and most of the pains will go away.

A Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday schedule make every other day seem like Friday also.
I have not had a 5 day schedule since 2002
And in the rare event I work Sat or Sun, I take off Fri or Mon

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Search this thread... :idea:

Forum: the CleAn Room Topic: How many of you guy's are STUCK..."In NO mans land?"

HARPER said:

Forum: the CleAn Room Topic: How many of you guy's are STUCK..."In NO mans land?"

Harper if he is making money, who cares if he grows to 15 trucks.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
daniel c said:
HARPER said:

Harper if he is making money, who cares if he grows to 15 trucks.

It is NOT always about MONEY...Danny Boy... :idea:

Greg is a stay at home parent....
His wife makes plenty of JACK....
His venture into the BIZ...was originally a part-time GIG..
He just lost a family member..."It changes your perspectives"

Greg is in DENIAL about several issues in his life..."No offense intended"...We all are..!
He can figure all of this OUT...he is just VENTING into HypErSpaCe... !gotcha!
This thread is nothing more than a man...."Talking to his Bartender"
He is a STUBBORN "S.O.B"...he is NOT seeking advice...He is just struggling with some GUILT..!

Greg will be FINE...!!!
He is just dealing with the NORMAL "burn-out"...that we have ALL dealt with...!

ps He should NOT discount ART advice...!"
pps The simplest way to SOLVE this problem is to "RAISE HIS PRICES".... :idea:

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Must be the water you're drinking.

I'm now down to 209lbs from 236lbs, pushing towards 67y.o. and NEVER wake up stiff in the mornings.

(Well, someplaces I do :oops: )

By March I hope to be down to about 170lbs.

I still work on the van daily, sometimes weekends &/or evenings for commercial.

I don't know what the inside of a gym looks like.

& YES, I still take my Big Yella up 4 flights of stairs easily. shiteatinggrin

Stop procrastinating, drop some weight, get your arse out there and get extra work.

In the words of Nike, JUST DO IT.

Before you have a Collaroy Conclusion, ( Coronary Occlusion ). :shock:

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
If your doing the cleaning then yes hire someone. It is no risk to me. I pay a percentage of the work done so the less that is done the less I pay. You have the extra truck if your using it so find someone part time and be straight with them. Tell them winter is slow and you will give them what you have. They might have another part time job and you can work around the schedule. Why pay an answering service 500 a month if you can pay a tech part time the same and you can answer the phone.

S

sam miller

Mikey P said:

So 6 days a week 4 to5 jobs a days to much no wonder I'm in pain and Getting old too. of course I sat behind a desk for 20 years!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom