Tires

I went to get tires the other day and they were 245 75 R16 size tires.

They rode great, but I noticed the air was a little off. I asked the guy at Sears and he said the front is recommended for 45 psi and the back at 60. I always kept 75 all the way around. He said the front really needs no more than 50 and the back could go to 70. He said going to high on the front can mess up the alignment.

Anyways I thought I would add some air and the tire said 44 psi max. WTF?

So I check and it's two ply tires not 8 ply.

They put the wrong tires on.

Now I have to go back and get new tires in the morning.

I went with Bridgestones and they were originally 150 per tire but the new heavy duty ones would be 195 per tire so I would owe 270 more on top of the 875 I spent for tires, alignment, and road hazard warranty.

I decided to go with the Dunlop seeing as they were only 119 a tire, I would be getting money back, I'm not planning on being in the truck too much longer, and they came with a 60k mile tread warranty. Why not?

Able 1

Name
Keith
danielc said:

They rode great, but I noticed the air was a little off. I asked the guy at Sears and he said the front is recommended for 45 psi and the back at 60. I always kept 75 all the way around. He said the front really needs no more than 50 and the back could go to 70. He said going to high on the front can mess up the alignment.

I went with Bridgestones and they were originally 150 per tire but the new heavy duty ones would be 195 per tire so I would owe 270 more on top of the 875 I spent for tires, alignment, and road hazard warranty.

I decided to go with the Dunlop seeing as they were only 119 a tire, I would be getting money back, I'm not planning on being in the truck too much longer, and they came with a 60k mile tread warranty. Why not?
Well, maybe the same reason a customer chooses you over a $9.99 a room guy. They will probably last you a year for $119 a tire. I usually pay $250 or so per tire, but they last me 4 or 5 years.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
alll i can do is

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dude i really hate busting your balls.....till you throw such a lob out there for the over hand smash....

DO YOU READ OR ASK ABOUT THE LOAD RATING?????

as much weight as these vans carry...more so like you with that heavy ass everest...

LOAD RANGE E

its a safty thing...dont even go think about going lower.....

that guy thinks youll mess up the alignment with to high of air.......find out how messed up it goes when you blow a tire stopping...

as they say on Fox i think it is...during foot ball.....

come on man

Name
R.J. Povio
Make sure that the tires say LT before the numbers (which stands for Light Truck) not P (which stands for Passenger). You can get LT 245 75 16 or P 245 75 16. There is a world of difference between the 2. P tires are meant for cars or vehicles that do not carry much of any weight. P tires will ride better than LT tires, but that is not what you are concerned about in a carpet cleaning van with tons of weight loaded in it.

That will be the difference in price and number of plys. LT tires have more plys and have a thicker side wall. You need the thicker side wall with more weight so the tire does not sag around the metal lip around of the rim. If the tire sags and rubs on the metal lip it will dig into the side wall of the tire. That can later cause a blow out.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I'm not planning on being in the truck too much longer

clarify, Dan'l
does that mean removing the TM and selling the van?
or
putting another man in the driver's seat?

if the former, no biggie
if the latter, that's bad ju-ju, man

tires are one place you DON'T want to go cheap or "light duty" on a work van

..l.T.A.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
danielc said:

FYI...never go off the pressure marked on the tire...always go off the pressure on the tag normally located on the drivers door....

also...to get more life out of your tires....fill your tanks...gas tank and/or..waste tank or fresh tank all the way up.....get the weight on the van and then take it in and have them set the camber...we drive around loaded and weighed down more then we do empty....

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
FYI...never go off the pressure marked on the tire...always go off the pressure on the tag normally located on the drivers door....

correct

Well, maybe the same reason a customer chooses you over a $9.99 a room guy. They will probably last you a year for $119 a tire. I usually pay $250 or so per tire, but they last me 4 or 5 years.

was thinking the same thing, but I have been putting 25K a year on my Dodge Ram so they only last 2 years

I just got some Cooper Discouver ATR III, nice tires with good rain channel. $800 with alignment. I do work for Tire Factory. Got some nice American Racing rims for $800 also.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Daniel..............I hope you have 10 ply tires on there? Do you? That's all you should have....... also, on the chevy I have 50 in front and 80 in back. And the same on the ford.. your tire code on the door even calls for a ten ply? Hope I read u were using an 8 ply wrong

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I use toyo open country h/t $888.00 with alighnment 60k tire. Most commercial tires have no mileage warranty.......which means no nothing

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
When I had a van I ran e rating only and 80 psi. You'll end up with a blow out if not careful. I wouldn't drive on the highway.

Gene

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Doesn't matter where you buy from as long as you know what you are buying.

Have tried every tire under the sun - For the $'s - haven't found anything to even come close to the transforce ht's - wear like grade 8 steel. I have had sets on vans for the better of 4 years, almost 5 (rotating every 5k).

I took a set well into 60k and they had just hit the tread bars.

I'm thinking the 225/75/16's I run fetch $155/tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... &tab=Sizes

Your size is $159 a pop. Almost all local stores will match the rack :)

Jimbo

Thanks for recommending Tirerack.com, Anthony...they have a huge presence here in Nevada...west coast warehouse...and they rock...a huge warehouse stuffed with tires!

And ditto what Mr. Martin says, Daniel, go with the nameplate tag rating on BOTH tire Pressure AND Load Rating, for safety's sake.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Why is no one mentioning......he has to have ten ply tires???? Not 8

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Most 3/4 or 1 ton vans require E rated tires.

E rated tires have 10 plys.

50 lbs front and 80 lbs rear or else the sensor will tight up.

He must not of gotten the 10 ply memo.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom