TM in Transit Connect

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Several customers are looking into gas-saving vehicles.

This customer plans to go to Transit Connects for their vans.

This is a 16HP TM install that we did a few days ago:

Ford has discontinued the E-series vans already.

The replacement will be the new euro Transit, which is larger than the Connect.

All trucks will need to meet new higher government MPG figures in the next few years.

What do you think of this downsizing of work trucks ?

Larry

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I like the new Fords they look like a larger version of the Transit and are lighter than the E- series

The problem that I find concerning is that several sites say that only the high top version will be available of the new vans.

Sucks for winter storage in most garages.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
fords website released the 2013 Econoline series on August 1st.

i too was under the impression 2012 was the last year for the econoline.

i was expecting to see the full size transits instead.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Several customers are looking into gas-saving vehicles.

This customer plans to go to Transit Connects for their vans.

This is a 16HP TM install that we did a few days ago:

Ford has discontinued the E-series vans already.

The replacement will be the new euro Transit, which is larger than the Connect.

All trucks will need to meet new higher government MPG figures in the next few years.

What do you think of this downsizing of work trucks ?

Larry

Where do you put the hose reels and chemicals? I personally think its pointless to try to make that vehicle work as a truckmount carrying van.
It is just too small for even the most basic set up. Even the smallest E150 is tight for carrying all the basics a decent carpet cleaner would need on a daily basis.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
I'm thinking about even the basics like, solution line, vac hose, floor/stair wand, and a couple gallons of chems being a nightmare to keep orderly and efficient. We couldn't fit 1/4 of the money making things we have on our vans in that guy.... unless it was pulling a small enclosed trailer.

IMO, the extra time spent day in and day out fighting hoses will wash away all fuel savings. Going off of a van where everything has an ergo friendly place, hose reels, etc, and moving at an average not frenzied beat the clock pace - you are probably 8-10 minutes lost on this van on set-up teardown time per job.

10 minutes each job, 4 jobs/day, 6 days a week = that's 4 hrs a week, even if you say it's only a 5 minute longer set-up / teardown, you are at 2 hrs per week.

8-16 hours lost in a month to set-up teardown - to save how much in gas / mo.?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Can a transit carry that much weight?

No much room left even for hoses and chems?

The Connect has a driver side door to access a custom hose reel.

The Connect has a combined fuel economy of 24 MPG.

The fuel economy requirements will force the manufacturers to smaller vans with less payload capacity.

Larry

Last edited:

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
19 miles per gallon?

I get that in our sprinters.... they have apex's and every tool you could imagine, and can fit 2 dehus, 20 fans, hydro-x, 2 toolboxes, and in a pinch I can squeeze a scrubber or two in them......

I was thinking these got more like high 20's

I'd lose $2000-3000 per month (maybe more) if I downsized (offsite area rugs, lost repairs, tile, etc - bc I couldn't carry what we needed). Not to mention having to have restoration dedicated vans then.

Last edited:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I saw a cleaner with a truckmount in a TC in Dublin (Ireland) and his stuff was a pretty tight fit. He said city parking forced the use of a small vehicle and the only real issue he had was trying to get up to speed with all of the weight, and trying to stop once he got up to speed.

There are more high-rise and oddly designed condo complexes in Seattle, and having a vehicle that can fit in a parking garage or be driven down a walkway might be worth having.

If it was me buying though, I'd probably put the unit on top of a flat waste tank and skip the fresh water to free up the back for other things.

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
I saw a cleaner with a truckmount in a TC in Dublin (Ireland) and his stuff was a pretty tight fit. He said city parking forced the use of a small vehicle and the only real issue he had was trying to get up to speed with all of the weight, and trying to stop once he got up to speed.

There are more high-rise and oddly designed condo complexes in Seattle, and having a vehicle that can fit in a parking garage or be driven down a walkway might be worth having.

If it was me buying though, I'd probably put the unit on top of a flat waste tank and skip the fresh water to free up the back for other things.

was his name Thomas......never mind im better off not knowing

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
My 1st TM was mounted in a Toyota Tacoma with a extra high shell that had doors on all sides. I wasted so much time setting up/packing up. It doesn't look like there is much more room in that little van. Someone should make a compact CDS for that van with a full package of hose reels, shelves, ect. Maybe it could be done leaving more room for all the extra tools that are needed to do the job correctly.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
My 1st TM was mounted in a Toyota Tacoma with a extra high shell that had doors on all sides. I wasted so much time setting up/packing up. It doesn't look like there is much more room in that little van. Someone should make a compact CDS for that van with a full package of hose reels, shelves, ect. Maybe it could be done leaving more room for all the extra tools that are needed to do the job correctly.

I don't think they can do it because of the engine direction. It sounds like a good idea but may not work with that engine and transmisson set up.

randy

Name
Randy
I don't see putting any truckmount in a Transit Connect, JUST way too small. That being said I'm considering a Transit or the B200 (Nissan mini-van coming out in January) to haul around a few Cimex units and A whittiker. Perfect for the low moisture cleaner but for a truckmount, no way. I don't care for the look of the Eurotransit, but I hated the Transit when it first came our and it's growing on me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom