TM winter heating with electric space heaters..Newbes listen

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I figure most use electric space heaters in winter to keep the van from freezing. I'm no exception.

You newbies be SURE the wiring in your garage, house or apt is in sound condition and extension cords used are at least 12 gauge wire and no longer than they need to be.

..L.T.A.

Name
Eric Valentine
This should be brought back to the top, since within the next month or three, some people will be needing this advice.

R

R W

I still use the shop and an overhead Reznor heater. I keep it at about 45*. Truck is nice and toasty when I pull it out (especially in 10* weather)!!! Probably spend $350 a year in natural gas.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
DAmn I need to find a shop...

Hummmm I need more $$$$ before I can get a shop

There for I need more work hahahahhaah

Trying to setup a trade thing with a owner, I know a few "broker" type people...

Tahoesteve

Used my heater 8 nights already here.

We've had two dustings of snow in the past two weeks, some overnight lows in the 20's and another storm due on Thursday.

Hey MeAT....what if the power goes out?

Steve

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
This will be my first year in the cold with a biz. My rig will be in a barn since I'm a hick now. I have to admit, I'm a little worried about power outages as well.

Maybe a kerosene heater to ease my mind.

Any recommendations?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Get a small Kero Salamander and put a thermostat on it...it will turn on and off by itsef.....i did that many years before i got my shop!

i put MINE right IN my truck...but i think MOST here would burn them sefs up with one!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Tahoesteve said:
Hey MeAT....what if the power goes out?

Steve

I'm screwed :shock:

Actually, I've had that happen.
Not a power outage, but the heater reset kicked out.
Generally it happens sometime in the middle night, so the van was warm enough that nothing froze hard enough for damage.

Dirk, i use a kero heater when it gets below 10 or 15 degrees and windy.
No insulation in my van and my "garage" is a drafty unheated pole barn.
Space heater won't keep on very cold nights.

With a kero heater there's a couple things you need to do.
First, you'll need a small fan to circulate the hot air.
Other wise it will be 100 degrees at the roof and freezing at the floor.
Any small, cheap $10 fan will work.
If there's any left at Wally-mart, they'll be clearance priced and even cheaper now .

Next thing you MUST do, is keep a window or two cracked.
If not, the heater will consume all the oxygen in the van, smother out and you'll wake up to a SOOTY MESS.
(don't ask me how I know that :oops: )

Lastly, a small kero heater (10 to 12K btu) is all you need, but they're hard to find.
Nobody wants them cause they're the same price or more as the full size 23K BTU heaters.
The 23K btu are over kill, but you'll assured of walking out on a 15 below morning and getting into 70 degree warm van :wink:

The other alternative is a propane sunflower heater.
I found them to be more expensive than kero

..L.T.A.

TimP

Here in North FL I just park the van in the garage during the winter. It never gets down below 20 so I have no need for heat. Besides my home heats and cools the garage somewhat the way that it's set up. If it supposed to go down to 0 I may find me a heater real quick however.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
And DON'T forget the ice scrapper...cuz you WILL have an inch of ice on the INSIDE of yor windows!

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
Is there a certain type of electric heater that we should use? how about propane or kerosene?

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
ohhh had it go out(well the GFI reset) and what a mess....had 2" yes 2" of ice in the water box....only thing that froze though was the little giant heater...humm go figure

G

My van is insulated and I use the radiator heaters you can get at Walmart Kmart for $35.. I set one next to the cat pump and one on the other side.. One on Medium and one on low when its 0 f and it stays around 50-60..

Larrys right dont use 16g cords.. One of the ends started to melt when i had to crank up the heat..

Drain all your fluids out at the end of the day..

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
tmagaw said:
Is there a certain type of electric heater that we should use? how about propane or kerosene?

I would avoid the use of kerosene or propane heaters to keep the van warm. They add a lot of water to the air. This in turn makes condensation on cold surfaces a problem.

The ceramic electric heaters are the safest. Radiant resistance heaters will work also.

Scott Warrington

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
I would avoid the use of kerosene or propane heaters to keep the van warm. They add a lot of water to the air. This in turn makes condensation on cold surfaces a problem.

The ceramic electric heaters are the safest. Radiant resistance heaters will work also.

Scott Warrington[/quote]

THANKS, I am going out this weekend to get one. woke up to SNOW this morning... :shock:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom