tools you waited too long to buy..

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
You hate good visibility?
I reversed a trailer for 15 years without a camera. I can back up a 10ft. box. Plus, I hate looking at those screens. I turned off the camera on my GMC pickup because I got tired of the false alarms beeping

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
Whats your favorite. Need to flush cut Brick and Concrete.
We use Dewalt the most I have two of those and an off brand that I got first.

brick should be easy enough but how much concrete do you have to cut. Grinder would be my go to for that also. We use diamond cutting wheel for bigger stuff and tile

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
We use Dewalt the most I have two of those and an off brand that I got first.

brick should be easy enough but how much concrete do you have to cut. Grinder would be my go to for that also. We use diamond cutting wheel for bigger stuff and tile

me too
never heard of using a multi-saw for concrete.
grout, sure
But not concrete or brick

I own a 20vt DeWalt and 12vt Makita.
"Owned" a corded Dremel, but it didn't hold up .

One of the carpenters on my crew had a Fein
a top tier pro tool, but not worth twice the cost of DeWalt IMO

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Fat Mike

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
I have had calipers for years, been using it since 9th grade. I have micrometer as well.

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
me too
never heard of using a multi-saw for concrete.
grout, sure
But not concrete or brick

I own a 20vt DeWalt and 12vt Makita.
"Owned" a corded Dremel, but it didn't hold up .

One of the carpenters on my crew had a Fein
a top tier pro tool, but not worth twice the cost of DeWalt IMO

..L.T.A.
Brick is pretty easy to cut like grout. But it’s faster with the diamond blade on a grinder or skilsaw

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Ron K

Brick is pretty easy to cut like grout. But it’s faster with the diamond blade on a grinder or skilsaw
Replacing RR ties used as the front of a sidewalk form for risers. They weren't 100% square so I have some areas I need straighten out in order to get PT wood flush. Worked great until RR rotted.

IMG_0583.jpeg

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
I’d use 4-1/2” grinder with diamond blade and also cup wheel. Are you counter sinking bolts through PT to concrete?

edit** I’d rent a concrete saw and just rip the fronts straight you have room to dig out sides. Would be clean and fast

Name
Steve Lawrence
Waited too long to get a pipe wrench that fits 4" pulleys to unfreeze blowers. ($250! Will probably never use it again as my Butlers have had one frozen blower in 19 years.)
A CRB! (own 2-10" and a 20" and can't live without any of them!)
Next will be a crimper for fixing hoses. Still don't have one.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Waited too long to get a pipe wrench that fits 4" pulleys to unfreeze blowers. ($250! Will probably never use it again as my Butlers have had one frozen blower in 19 years.)
A CRB! (own 2-10" and a 20" and can't live without any of them!)
Next will be a crimper for fixing hoses. Still don't have one.
Having and knowing how to use a crimper could be very valuable. Especially when making up short hoses or doing wand repairs, etc.

Joseph225

Most cleaners wouldn’t need calipers. We have several in our shop for dado stacks and making sure we have right fits.

since we started all OP I’d say a TM 🥴😆
What are you using dado stacks for?
The multitool is invaluable in stone and tile work, too.
Ok, talk to me. I've been trying to decide if I get a Fein with Starlock segmented blades for grout removal, or if I put a tuck point blade on a circular saw with a Festool hooked to it. Thoughts?

Joseph225

You ever use a skilsaw with a tuck point to remove grout? Which is faster, which is more precise? The multi-tool, or the skilsaw?

Joseph225

My dads great builder but he’s never liked finish work he can do it but it’s not his specialty. But I’ve got a cabinet maker working for me with probably 50yrs experience he’s super excited to pass his knowledge and I’m super excited to learn from him. He’s also expert with furniture so looking forward to gleaning as much as I can.

I’m thankful at 72 he’s still in great health.
Met with a granite guy today with at least 20yrs experience that’ll be coming by on board also.

Woohoo more tools
Fab shop? This and the CNC comment made me curious. I think a fab shop is a good long term goal, for me.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen

Ok, talk to me. I've been trying to decide if I get a Fein with Starlock segmented blades for grout removal, or if I put a tuck point blade on a circular saw with a Festool hooked to it. Thoughts?
At a guess, the saw would be faster and you’d need to be very careful. But at the edges you still need a multitool. Fein is expensive and I have no idea whether it is smarter to go that route or shop at Home Pisspot. For me, it would come down to availability of blades and accessories.

Name
Jeff T
I’d use 4-1/2” grinder with diamond blade and also cup wheel. Are you counter sinking bolts through PT to concrete?

edit** I’d rent a concrete saw and just rip the fronts straight you have room to dig out sides. Would be clean and fast
#This....
Make sure you hook up to H2O....
Fast, not messing around with under powered tools.
Yes Mike, I know how to use one, I spent the better 1/2 of 18 years in construction...7B65A3A8-23D2-4524-B057-CC26B35595A2.png

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G

Dado for our dados and rabbit cut for cabinet fabrication.

depends on size of the materials you’re working with. You’re not going to re work a shower in a shower with a skilsaw. Now I’ve cut concrete in and out side of homes using a skilsaw but it’s not for small precise cuts.

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
You ever use a skilsaw with a tuck point to remove grout? Which is faster, which is more precise? The multi-tool, or the skilsaw?
I’d use a 4” grinder or multi tool before using a skilsaw for grout removal. I’m very good with a skil saw but you need something more versatile. A sawsall on grout is friggin fast but you better be very careful.

they sell diamond removal tools for saws alls

Joseph225

I’d use a 4” grinder or multi tool before using a skilsaw for grout removal. I’m very good with a skil saw but you need something more versatile. A sawsall on grout is friggin fast but you better be very careful.

they sell diamond removal tools for saws alls
Wait. Why have we moved to using a reciprocating saw? How do you even control the depth of the cut with one of those?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom