tough decision seasoned advice needed

green guy

I hired a rucruit for a lead tech position. For the last 3 months I have had him on my rig. As we have approached his launch date he confessed that his lisence is being suspended for 6 years. I have awesome chemistry with him on the job. He is thorough attentive and always on time. He has 5 kids. He has had maturuty issues in the past. Time on my rig with a leader has stabilized him very much according to his wife. I really wanted to be able to send him out 3 days a week starting in May to free me up to build my company. I do have a bond with this tech. What would you do? Hire a second man to drive three days a week? This position is crucial how can I continue to employ a guy that cannot drive?

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
My advice would be to do what you think is right...

That said, I'd probably find another technician with driving priveliges and let him know that the position requires a the ability to legally opeate a vehicle. If possible, keep him in reserve for larger jobs and days when people do not show up and there is someone available to cheaufer him around... But hey do what you feel is best.

Bjorn

since your sooooo green I have seen these cool rigs you can hook up to the back of a mt bike trailer

green guy

I think I made a mistake getting too friendly with him. Its hard for me not to spending 5 to 6 days a week all day. I do feel he should be replaced. He lied and put him self in this position. It is just hard. How about a two man crew? Whats that odin?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
What the hell do you have to do to get your license taken for 6 years??!! :shock:

Like said...more surprises to follow....next he will be doing 15 to 20 for robbing your "favorite" customers house.

you wanted seasoned...you just got it.

Run

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Lee Stockwell said:
I've been in your shoes.

You aren't done getting surprises....
ditto...

no DITTO!!!!!!

DO NOT be dependent on a loozer.....yor only delaying the eventual

the sooner you get new help the better....
maybe let this loozer TRAIN the new guy...
then shit can him.....

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
bob vawter said:
[quote="Lee Stockwell":29py43je]I've been in your shoes.

You aren't done getting surprises....
ditto...

no DITTO!!!!!!

DO NOT be dependent on a loozer.....yor only delaying the eventual

the sooner you get new help the better....
maybe let this loozer TRAIN the new guy...
then shit can him.....[/quote:29py43je]

That was heart felt Bawb

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
desperate people do desperate things....

he was desperate enough to LIE to you for 3 months...
what ELSE is he desperate enough to do!

shut up Brian
were you around when i was "basket boy" shopping at the local...KMART?

Mike Draper

OBVIOUSLY there is a good reason his license is suspended for 6 years. I can see a prosecuting attorney say " You still hired this guy after his license was susp. for 6 years because of this and that"! Next thing you know your business is on the front page of the paper for hiring some loser. Its really not worth it.

green guy

Your right he is a looser and not worth jeapordizing two years of blood sweat and tears. Ill run an add and do some interviews. leaning towards a guy with a basic knowledge of tm and train him over. Thanks for pumping me up. He friggin lied. Its his problem.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
I like Bawb's advice...

We have a local attorney around here who is VISCIOUS (he's also the attorney you want if you have ever been wronged)!!! When questions like this come up, we sit back and ask "would you want to be on the stand having to defend this guy to Jeffery Fieger?" If the answer is no, then get rid of him!!

And do yourself a favor and run 2 man crews. With 2 people you always have an option. If it's one man crew, they end up with a lot of power over you!!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I might of missed it, but what did he "lie" to you about?

Having spent a good deal of time in a 12 step program and having recovered from more than a few addictions/dependencies, as well as knowing many more just like me......what "I" would do would be wholly contingent on his sobriety date...how long has he been clean and sober?

Note; I am ASSuming his 6 year DL suspension in alcohol/drug related.

..L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
meAt said:
I might of missed it, but what did he "lie" to you about?

Having spent a good deal of time in a 12 step program and having recovered from more than a few addictions/dependencies, as well as knowing many more just like me......what "I" would do would be wholly contingent on his sobriety date...how long has he been clean and sober?

Note; I am ASSuming his 6 year DL suspension in alcohol/drug related.

..L.T.A.
about having a license...JCH Larr.... keep up!
even a lie by omisson....
is a lie!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
bob vawter said:
is a lie!

ummm...what "omission" ?
the guys been riding shotgun .
Did Green Guy inform him that a valid DL was a requirement of employment?

Did Green Guy do due diligence on "his" part before hiring?

I don't know those things.

what do know is what little GreenGuy has told us so far.

which is this:

"He is thorough attentive and always on time.
He has had maturuty issues in the past
"

The key here is, how "distant" is that past for him.

the other dilemma Green Guy faces is this;

"This position is crucial how can I continue to employ a guy that cannot drive?"

Green Guy has learned a valuable lessen, IMO.
The things that are important/critical to his biz and his employee requirements needed to be checked out BEFORE he makes the decision the hire someone.

Now if the dude told Green Guy there were no problems with his driving record, that's sure enough a lie.
If Green Guy never checked that out, it's HIS fault.
If it was never asked, again that's Green Guy's fault.
and the new hire didn't lie.
He truthfully volunteered info when circumstances changed though.
Maybe he thought his lawyer could get something different too.
"well connected" local lawyers can make things like that happen.
Juries can do odd things too if the lawyer is a sharp cookie

..L.T.A.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
have a talk with him, find out what's going on
Ask yourself, am I willing to hire a 2nd guy to keep this guy?
Am I able to hire a 2nd guy?

Make sure you write out a list of ALL the qualities you need in your tech, trust and quality, character, work ethic. The important ones have nothing to do with cleaning, that can be taught.

As for hiring someone that has worked for someone else, you may have some bad habits to break.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
no DITTO!!!!!!

Ditto to the Ditto of the Ditto!

At least he's telling you my guy lost his license and kept driving my van.
That said, he's being honest with you i place a premium on honesty even with a honest f'up!

Many states allow for a hardship/ restricted licenses that allow driving at work only.. has he looked into this is this a possibility..?

Bjorn

have your wife drive him around

did you run a little thing called a background check and have those 4 DUI's show up

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
You should find out more information. While DUI are the most common reason for suspended licences, they are not the only reason
I would recommend you do driving and criminal backround checks. NJ is 1 year first offense, 10 years third offense. he may be 4 years sober

Good luck

Name
Nate W.
I've been in this guy's situation before. It wasn't drugs or alcohol. I got cited for reckless driving the same night a bought a used car. I strung out my court case for 2 years, then got grandfathered into a new law they passed. I didn't have money at the time for an attorney, so I had a public defender represent me. Little do they tell you, in order to practice Law in the State of Hawaii you need to have so many hours of public defending. I was found guilty, and either has to get an SR22 from the insurance which would cost at least $10,000 a year just to have a drivers license. Or put a $25,000 deposit down for 3 years and basically be partners with City&County. If I hit anyone and my insurance didn't cover it, they'd take out money from my deposit. I just got the money back I needed to put down 3 years ago. I would have had my DL suspended for 3 years if I didn't.

Basically, driving is a privilege not a right. My pops was pretty disappointed when he found out. I didn't work for them at the time of the incident. Pops told me that he would have paid for his attorney to represent me and mostly likely would have got me off because the PD didn't represent me at all.

I also didn't see where the guy lied to Greenguy. I agree 2 man crews always work better and you already have a lead tech. Imho of course.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
meAt said:
bob vawter said:
is a lie!

ummm...what "omission" ?
the guys been riding shotgun .
Did Green Guy inform him that a valid DL was a requirement of employment?

Did Green Guy do due diligence on "his" part before hiring?

I don't know those things.

what do know is what little GreenGuy has told us so far.

which is this:

"He is thorough attentive and always on time.
He has had maturuty issues in the past
"

The key here is, how "distant" is that past for him.

the other dilemma Green Guy faces is this;

"This position is crucial how can I continue to employ a guy that cannot drive?"

Green Guy has learned a valuable lessen, IMO.
The things that are important/critical to his biz and his employee requirements needed to be checked out BEFORE he makes the decision the hire someone.

Now if the dude told Green Guy there were no problems with his driving record, that's sure enough a lie.
If Green Guy never checked that out, it's HIS fault.
If it was never asked, again that's Green Guy's fault.
and the new hire didn't lie.
He truthfully volunteered info when circumstances changed though.
Maybe he thought his lawyer could get something different too.
"well connected" local lawyers can make things like that happen.
Juries can do odd things too if the lawyer is a sharp cookie

..L.T.A.

JH.C
the whole world is fooked up....
i HATE everyone!

Ernie G

Bill, learn from other peoples mistakes when ever possible, I've been in that situation with employees more than a few times. You want to be a nice guy and help someone, and hopefully help your busn. at the same time. Unfortunately, most of the time it does'nt work out well for your busn., they usually come with even more bagage than you thought. If your busn. is big enough to have a helper who can't drive, go for it. Sadly, I think he may have other things that will come out that you will have to deal.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
NOTE TO LARRY:
he sED...." I hired a rucruit for a lead tech position"

wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that position would require a drivers license...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?
now say yor sorry....
sAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy it!

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
There is way too much risk here on your part. If you were running a shop full of mentally challenged people and drug addicted fuckups then I would say more power to you for trying to help people out. But you are sending someone in to peoples homes. Your customers are the ones who have to deal with your hiring decisions. They deserve the best you can find.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Art Kelley said:
There is way too much risk here on your part. If you were running a shop full of mentally challenged people and drug addicted fuckups then I would say more power to you for trying to help people out. But you are sending someone in to peoples homes. Your customers are the ones who have to deal with your hiring decisions. They deserve the best you can find.
yes Art is correct....never hire a man that drinks outa a cooler in the hotel lobby!

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
$12 drinks at that stupid Sheraton bar. People liked it when I handed them Icehouse beers from my 12 pack.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
bob vawter said:
NOTE TO LARRY:
he sED...." I hired a rucruit for a lead tech position"

wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that position would require a drivers license...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?
now say yor sorry....
sAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy it!

ummm, it's NOT the employee's JOB to "assume" the conditions of employment.
It's not like he was applying for a brain surgery job.... :roll:

It's the employer's job to clearly defined the conditions of employment ...period

just admit you're wrong, Bob
tell us where you had all the drug tests and background checks done for all your wand jockeys?

:roll:

None of us know the details.
Many are making judgments based on ASSumptions and speculation alone

..L.T.A.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
i would fire him..you are running a business not a day care. his problems are not yours
and he is making his driving problem yours and taking away from your business.
if anything happens and the law needs to get involved the first question
that is asked is about his back ground then the 2nd question is include
wrongful hiring to the law suit. you are responsible for who you hire and what they do
so even if he did something 20 years ago if it is relevant to any crime he may commit
today you are the one that put him in your customers home..too much liability for me to deal with.
sad because he may fly straight and clear forever or snap tomorrow, you have too much to lose.
and he DID lie to you..i am sure you told him you were grooming him to run your truck..would have been
nice of him to tell you that he wont be able to drive it..at the least he mis lead that equals...gone

green guy

Yes this guy lied. He told me that he had a valid license and was bondable. When he began to understand what we were diong and I SET THE LAUNCH DATE he came clean. This is very unfortunate. He could really have gone far and made more money with me than he ever made. We landed like $11,000 in set monthly maintanence cleaning between 3 upscale hotels. That is in addition to the 5 grand we had allready had plus our 2 to 4 a day resi. That is why i didn t immedietely run his backround. Runnin and gunnin big time. This guy is beggin me to put on a helper for him and swears he will find a lawyer to help. I doubt it!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom