Transmission issues? How much & how long?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
So, My transmission is having issues. Pretty sure it is 2nd gear, can feel it slipping. Been happening for about two weeks.

Just wondering if anyone has had a trans replaced/fixed on a ford van? How much and how long were you down?

I'm hoping I can limp through the start of the week, when 2nd does fail will I be left stranded? Am I hurting it more by using?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yep, Ford's, Chevy's, Dodges. Same transmission place, same price everytime $2,000.00
:oldrolleyes:

If I called today he'd say $2,000.00-$2,400.00 and it would come back $2,400.00 :eekk:

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
From my experience.

Instead of fixing your tranny. You'll be happier ands less down time if you have then put in a rebuilt tranny.

I had one fixed for about 2k and it was never right.

When that one gave up the ghost. Ihad a rebuilt put in for $1600 and that one was great!!!

Jay D

Name
Jay D
Get abottle of lucas oils TRANS-FIX, read instuctions, put it in. I got 2 additional years out of my ford tranny after it started slipping. Of course I had put 3 bottles in over that time. Yes $2,000 is what a rebuilt costs.

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
In addition to the lucas oil you can drop your transmission pan and change your transmission filter. I just changed mine and it was easy. I just had a complete rebuild on our 2007 chevy from one of our areas best transmission shops and it was $2800 with a 2 year warranty.

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
In my experience you're not hurting it by driving it as long as you're not gunning it. So learn how to get up to speed very slowly. You probably wont be stranded if second fails altogether. BTW now would be a good time to get Triple A and make sure the policy you purchase covers your commercial vehicle. That way if it leaves you stranded you're not also left with a hefty tow bill. Around here it's over $5 a mile to tow a work truck and that's on a flat bed tow truck.

I second the Lucas tranny fix stuff. Get as long as you can out of this tranny. And make sure you get a rebuild not an in shop fix. A new one will cost you twice if not more than a rebuilt one so that's not even an option. As for down time it will take three to six days depending on where you take it. The bigger and more established the shop the quicker they usually are.

When the time comes to choose a shop to do the repair find it the way your customers find you and you'll know more about how they feel when they call/choose you.

Name
I'm Rick James
The Lucas oil suggest did work for a friend of mine for a few weeks, then it just crapped out all together. You know it needs to be replaced, so make this your #1 priority and do what it takes to get it fixed. Nothing worse then having it break down in the middle of you day with a week full of work to do.

Whats your budget to get it fixed?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom