transmission problem gmc savanna

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I have a GMC 2002 savana 2500 it has about 70 k on it and the pto has put another 130 on the motor.

When I'm going between 50 and 60 mph it jumps out of gear or slips idk. I dumped my tank and it stopped doing it. About three months ago it did this and I put some lucus in the tranny and it went away.

Thank You

Steve CGD guy

Supportive Member
I had slippage in my GMC once. I took it in and changed the fluid and filter and it has been fine ever since. The service guy said the filter was plugged and not letting fluid through. It's worth a try, it costs about $120.00.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The mid 90s to mid 2000s GM and Ford vans were prone to early transmission failure due to the overdrive constantly jumping in and out of overdrive at city speeds. Advised to keep the transmission in lower drive in the city, or install a shift kit to make the transmission stick more in one gear instead of sliding between the highest two ratios all the time at city speeds.

This didn't affect the heavy duty transmissions used with bigger motors.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I'm going to take it in and get the flush and filter change and cross my fingers.

How long do transmissions last in a cc van?

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I have the same van and my tranny went out around 130k miles or so, got another tranny, had the tranny flush, but now it has started to do the same slippage issue. Will take it in this week to take a look at it. This will be my first and last Savanna. They cost an arm and a leg to fix everytime there's an issue.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
And there is always a lot of issues with them. Is ford any better?
Is the chevy express the same as the gmc?

Name
R.J. Povio
With these carpet cleaning vans you have to realize the weight we carry. Its alot and it is all day every day. My tranny guy says the amount of weight we carry in our Fords to have fluid and filter changed every 15 to 20k miles. Do not read the owners manual. They will say 50-75k miles. That is too many miles in between changes. The oil in our trannys gets really hot due to the weight. When the oil gets hot it breaks down quicker, therefore more frequent fluid and filter changes are needed. We put an additive like LUCAS OIL with every tranny rebuild and service....it seems to help. We seem to get about 110 to 120k miles out of trannys. I have one that almost have 200k somehow. Spend the 120 or so once a year and have the tranny serviced. Do not forget about the rear end too. My guy says every 50k or so. If you have limited slip make sure they put in the limited slip additive. Always use synthetic oil in gearboxes when servicing them too.

If your van does not have a tranny cooler...get one asap! If the factory one is too small have the biggest one you can get aftermarket installed....they are worth the extra money too. It seems like the oil stays cleaner with the bigger tranny coolers. Plus the tranny will hold more fluid. More fluid means less heat, which means less wear.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
To address the issue we buy the big engine to guarantee the HD transmission, buy the trailer towing package to get the biggest cooler, and have the fluid changed at 50,000 miles. Haven't had a transmission problem yet. (knock on head)

The biggest issue we've seen with the Savana/Express is the "hydro-boost" combination brake and power steering unit. On post-2005 vans these fail if you are turning and hit the brakes suddenly or hit a pothole while braking. Our mechanic has become proficient at replacing them.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Went by the shop today to make an appointment and they want to test it with a full waste tank. I drove it today and it wouldn't do it. The shop is already telling me it may need a rebulid. He said you can't get a new trans for that van. He said it is best to rebulid with heavy duty parts.

If I can get it flushed and filter changed for $185 and fix my pump out and not carry water and buy time to pay for a rebulid I will be happy. The smog guy just got done with me on my little truck so no $$ left. It's scary to go to any auto service in a poor economy. You know they will do what ever they have to keep money coming in and they know they can tell you what ever they need to. Scary

The hydro boost sucks they are $$$$. Lucus does a nice jobat making them last longer too. With my pto running the truck all the time they don't last long and I am told they are not able to rebuild them.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
You should pay between $1200 to 1600.. no more. Had a few chevys and fords rebuilt

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Bob Foster

I feel your pain. Uncertain about getting to a job or breaking down during a job, how many days will I not be making an income when its being fixed and even though they say it will cost x amount I wonder how much more it really will be.

The importance of maintenance and equipment redundancy are highly underrated.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom