Triad and X3 Wind Speed. This was eye opening!

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Here is the wind speed of the Triad
Triad.jpg

Here is the wind speed of the X3 on High (4 amps)
x3.jpg

John Olson

Name
John Olson
That is what me and Lora thought this morning when ran this test. It is so quite it is deceiving.

What I did notice is the X3 runs 2 degrees hotter though. I checked them both like 6 times back and forth to make sure i was getting the same number each time.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
One of the things that we are doing at Jon Don these days is a lot more testing of equipment and chemicals. Not saying that manufacturers are telling untruths but we are just trying to corrleate the numbers we are given.

Todays meters are very accurate and can give you a lot of great data. Now you just have to figure which data are valid. Wind speed is a BS number that means nothing by itself. You could reduce the opening to a 3 inch circle and get the same velocity (wind) speed but have a massive drop in CFM. You need to look at the opening plus the velocity to compute the CFM. Our testing places the Triad at best 810 CFM verses the Typhoon at 1066 CFM. At 5, 10 and 15 feet from the fan at surface level the Typhoon is almost twice the CFM of the Triad.

Then there is the Amps. So even if you looked at their amps, our testing shows Triad at 1.6 amp unobstructed and the Typhoon at 3.1 Amps you would still need two Triads (3.2 amps) to be comparable to one Typhoon running at 3.1. amps. So you are using the same amount of energy. I will say that the Triad did have higher static pressure 1.6 versus the Typhoon at 1.1 but with the drop in CFM I personally do not see the value. I could test a bicycle pump and show outstanding static pressure but if the CFM is reduced what values does the static pressure play?

Ultimately this testing creates better products for our endusers.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Good testing John, that's more credible than some other methods.

Now, calculate cfm by multiplying opening size by velocity.

It will always be lower than the mfg rating.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
John, the air balance people know that velocity is not consistent across the face of the opening, so when they are measuring CFM they take several readings (called a 'traverse') and average the readings together.

It would be interesting to see a traverse of 5 or so points across the face of each fan to get an accurate picture of true airflow.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Doc Holliday said:
Our testing places the Triad at best 810 CFM verses the Typhoon at 1066 CFM. At 5, 10 and 15 feet from the fan at surface level the Typhoon is almost twice the CFM of the Triad.
:shock:

yeah but the typhoon is a dry air fan, not a very durable unit IMO, measuring CFM away from the unit opens up all sorts of variables. this could be effected greatly by the pattern of the air flow coming out of the snout, the shape and angle of the snout etc. I have always thought a unit that is moving the air at greater speed has an advantage, because this is also grabbing and moving air that is around the air column being forced out of the air mover. like I said if prochem put in a high low motor one with the current setting as low and the high at 3 amp, they would have the field covered.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
I was only answering what someone asked a couple days ago not trying be a scientist :) Billy says some interesting things but what I am trying to figure out is how 1066 is TWICE 810 hmmm Billy what new math are you using :)

Name
Shawn Forsythe
dgardner said:
John, the air balance people know that velocity is not consistent across the face of the opening, so when they are measuring CFM they take several readings (called a 'traverse') and average the readings together.

It would be interesting to see a traverse of 5 or so points across the face of each fan to get an accurate picture of true airflow.

A very important point that can't be overlooked. The Triad design is especially prone to varied velocity across the opening. Good post, Dan.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
We all know the " wind in your face" method is the only true test of air flow. All the other methods are just smoke and mirrors. :lol:

Name
John LaBarbera

John,

Can you measure the CFM (volume) and air pressure, also. Those two will really tell the tail.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Thats beyond what I am capable of doing. I only have my little wind speed indicator. I am about to post pictures of readings across the face of each and at 3'. Interesting stuff.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Shawn Forsythe said:
dgardner said:

A very important point that can't be overlooked. The Triad design is especially prone to varied velocity across the opening. Good post, Dan.

Your right but as the pictures I am about to post show so is the X3 and I am sure any airmover with a grill will have the same.

Name
John LaBarbera

Thanks, John.

Wind speed can be misleading since it's only the product of the rpm's of the motor. It could be like the equivalent of a high pressure pump but very very low flow.

-JB-

Name
JB
well John O., ya step right in a big stinky pile of it on this post huh?

lol!

Name
Lee Stockwell
CFM is a measure of "speed" and not volume. "Cubic feet" is a volume number that is measured "per minute".

There is a direct correlation to John's measurement of linear feet per minute and cfm. Static pressure, amp draw, and other conditions would have to be held equal.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
No JB I haven't. You see people asked me these questions and I am posting the results. You have two people that make Airmovers giving their opinion and thats wonderful. Opps I missed read that sorry Billy:)

Anyway here are the pictures that where requested
Trial middle,middle,right and 3' up
triadmiddle.jpg

triadright.jpg

tirad3ft.jpg

X3 Middle,right 3' up (remeber this is on high 4 amps)
x3middle.jpg

x3right.jpg

x33ft.jpg

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Should I go pull out the mytee and the Viking and do the same? Heck I don't have anything better to do like shipping.... :mrgreen:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
on the 18 and the 14.9............how far away were you.....

tell me the air drop in feet between the 2...................

F

FB7777

maybe I view air movers differently, but the Triad has to have the ability to float a carpet comparably to a Sahara or it ain't worth the space in my van.

The wind in my face Nashville test I performed was enough to tell me that it was under powered compared to what is presently offered in the centrifugal market.

If I just want low amp draw and high cfm , I'll set up axials which will blow doors on any centrifugal

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom