Truck mount swap

Sharpsalem

Name
Jon c salem
Nice to join this forum. I was hoping to get some help transferring my butler unit to another van my van is a 1984 and want to transfer to a 1990. The only place I’m getting stumped is the pto in front and going from a 4 barrel carburetor to a 2 barrel electric fuel injector int the carburetor. Anyone have experience with this? Will butler sell me the parts to do the switch or do I have to come up with the brackets and the advanced system for rpm ? Thanks in advance! Jon

Sharpsalem

Name
Jon c salem
Not if you saw the shape the 84 is in. The 90 is solid
If I can transfer the pto from the 84 to a much newer model it might be an option. I don’t think the brackets and vacuum advance on the 84 will switch over? Or if I can purchase the brackets and computer for the advance for a fuel injection? Not sure ?

F

FB7777

Still a 32 year old van at the end of the day

you have quite an uphill struggle ahead of you

like Marty suggested, seek out Chip Garber on FB

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharpsalem

Name
Jon c salem
Still a 32 year old van at the end of the day

you have quite an uphill struggle ahead of you

like Marty suggested, seek out Chip Garber on FB
Ok thanks Radar . Took me 3 hrs to strip down a van . I’m pretty capable. I’ve rebuilt cat pump replaced blowers engines and transmissions . Just looking for some input on the front . I’ve replaced clutches and pulled out pto . Im really wondering why butler still has 2 v belts independent of the serpentine belt? I would think the clutch could run off the main serpentine belt with the rest of the motor ? It is a electromagnetic clutch ? Then I have the throttle advance to deal with. I did find chip on fb I’ll see if he responds.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Ok thanks Radar . Took me 3 hrs to strip down a van . I’m pretty capable. I’ve rebuilt cat pump replaced blowers engines and transmissions . Just looking for some input on the front . I’ve replaced clutches and pulled out pto . Im really wondering why butler still has 2 v belts independent of the serpentine belt? I would think the clutch could run off the main serpentine belt with the rest of the motor ? It is a electromagnetic clutch ? Then I have the throttle advance to deal with. I did find chip on fb I’ll see if he responds.
I've never seen the front of a Butler but if it uses independent belts to drive the clutch that's a lot better than using the serpentine belt. Cleanco and CDS units use the serpentine belt and that's a weak link. One long belt will wear and slip faster than 2 shorter ones. You can set your vacuum relief higher without worrying about burning out your belts.

Name
Lee Stockwell
At least until recently Butler used a matched set of v belts driven independently from the factory accessory serpentine belt.

White Magic used a separate serpentine belt.

Reactions: hogjowl

Sharpsalem

Name
Jon c salem
At least until recently Butler used a matched set of v belts driven independently from the factory accessory serpentine belt.

White Magic used a separate serpentine belt.
Yes not a major road block . I was wondering if it could just be run off one serpentine belt everything lined up on one belt . Would make life easier.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Steam Genie uses only one serpentine....easy peesy!
The SAME as the accessories? That also has its drawbacks. More load on the factory crank pulley, which has caused failures. Also if that one belt breaks the vehicle is immobilized. Too, it requires a very long belt which stretches out of spec faster.

F

FB7777

You need to go to Butler to witness the installation

this isn’t just mounting and aligning a shaft…

maybe Chip can install it for you but good luck getting all the correct parts on your own

you are biting off way more than you believe you can handle

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Sharpsalem

Name
Jon c salem
The SAME as the accessories? That also has its drawbacks. More load on the factory crank pulley, which has caused failures. Also if that one belt breaks the vehicle is immobilized. Too, it requires a very long belt which stretches out of spec faster.
That makes sense!

Sharpsalem

Name
Jon c salem
You need to go to Butler to witness the installation

this isn’t just mounting and aligning a shaft…

maybe Chip can install it for you but good luck getting all the correct parts on your own

you are biting off way more than you believe you can handle
I also can use my old brackets and just go to a intake manifold that hold a carburetor. So I have options

F

FB7777

I also can use my old brackets and just go to a intake manifold that hold a carburetor. So I have options
You know far more than I when it comes to mechanics my friend!

I’d hate to see you embark on a project only to discover it to be a fools errand

please call Butler and Chip Garber

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You do sound knowledgeable. The trap that can happen because you have skills, is getting caught up in working and building units. When that time could be better used towards building your business.

Now if you have the time but not the work then, sure continue your search. The caution I would say is that Butler has never been helpful in doing swaps. They would prefer they do it, so parts are going to come from wrecked or parted out units. Or you're going to have to fabricate them yourself.

Good luck which ever way you decide!

Sharpsalem

Name
Jon c salem
You do sound knowledgeable. The trap that can happen because you have skills, is getting caught up in working and building units. When that time could be better used towards building your business.

Now if you have the time but not the work then, sure continue your search. The caution I would say is that Butler has never been helpful in doing swaps. They would prefer they do it, so parts are going to come from wrecked or parted out units. Or you're going to have to fabricate them yourself.

Good luck which ever way you decide!
Thank Desk Jokey . I will try to order parts from butler. They have sent me parts to my old unit in the past. So I don’t need there knowledge just parts. And yes I do have time to do this and your right about spending to much time working on the equipment when I could be working on building the financial aspect of the business. When all is said and done I will hopefully end up with an extra truck since I got the guts out of another butler. Everything but the pump which I will upgrade to 3500 psi for my power washing accounts. I paid 500 for the used butler unit . So I’m in good shape..

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Thank Desk Jokey . I will try to order parts from butler. They have sent me parts to my old unit in the past. So I don’t need there knowledge just parts. And yes I do have time to do this and your right about spending to much time working on the equipment when I could be working on building the financial aspect of the business. When all is said and done I will hopefully end up with an extra truck since I got the guts out of another butler. Everything but the pump which I will upgrade to 3500 psi for my power washing accounts. I paid 500 for the used butler unit . So I’m in good shape..
Jokey.....lololol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom