Trying to hire a replacement

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Well, today I supposed to meet with a guy who asked for a meeting about our upcoming job.

Our young guy "pizza boy, happy feet" Austin is leaving for Minneapolis.

Following the girlfriend....even has a job with the new start up company from there last year with the 4 new Butlers, 4 Zippers, CRB's, Saiger's Sauce, Tom Wands....

They are now up to 5 Butlers and looking to add 2 more.

Austin walking in and getting a new Butler....will be taken care of....

So back to the guy who wanted to meet today.

Sent him a message on Facebook I was starting my 30 minute drive to meet him....he sees it....I keep driving...

Arrive and tell him I am at the place.....he sees it.....

Waiting around....tell him whenever he gets here...I am here....he sees it....

Finally "I can't meet u today"

(Me...oh really!?)

my reply...Ok...Maybe we can set up another day....

Finally a reply back from him...."Ok........When I'm feeling better"

Better to know now I guess!

Next!

We drag our asses out of bed unless dying to get work done....

We are in no rush....we will find the right person....

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I had a guy show up for first day....we drive to a large church job.
Working... Explaining him what to do and how.

Sent him to get something from the truck or to do something in another room (I forgot what I asked him to do)... He took a long time.
After a while I was wondering why.... He went to the bathroom...or so I thought.

Wrong!

He flat out walked off the job...on foot. (he didn't have a car, he was riding in the truck)

Never saw him again.

A few days later we found out, that he in fact, just walked away without saying a word.

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Best temp I ever got I hired I got from Craigslist. I had a guy not show up at the last minute so I emailed people on cl. One woman responded and turned out to be the best worker I ever had. She is now a journeyman/woman pipefitter in Alberta.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
@Desk Jockey , I would love to see your input on this.
On Zee's guy? I can top that! New guy spent all morning training and went to lunch with the crew leader. They come to a stop light and he asks to be let out, he quit. The crew leader said hey you have a Chavez shirt. He pulled it off and tossed it in the truck. :errf:

Able 1

Name
Keith
Alot of kids were told " If you go to College you're going to make a killing".. Most just sit and wait for what they expected(to make big bucks and not work).

Getting a job is like..
"That's hard!" Lol

Little do they know they are at the bottom!

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
On Zee's guy? I can top that! New guy spent all morning training and went to lunch with the crew leader. They come to a stop light and he asks to be let out, he quit. The crew leader said hey you have a Chavez shirt. He pulled it off and tossed it in the truck. :errf:
That's your problem right there. Stop making the new guys wear your old shirts. Or at least wash them first.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
You know it’s really is hard!

My oldest daughter Erin went to a junior college studied to become RN, she got a job and got her bachelors or BSN while working.

She’s now a travel nurse making good money working three days a week.

My other daughter Kayla has taken all her classes to get her master and teaches special needs moderate to severe. And hopefully with in the next year she’ll get a great raise .

But she got medical and a great retirement with the California teachers union.

My son he worked me for five years and now he’s at Northrop Grumman working on the f35.

The last two weeks he’s worked 60 plus hours a week, he’s got full medical and they do a 7 percent match off his check.

He’s up to $20 an hour at 23 years old he’s got a great future at a great company.

The moral of the story is they need to be pushed and shown what to do.

Don’t leave it up to chance.

All my kids were told your going it college period.

And your working period!

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
What works is that you tell them that if they don't go to university and become a professional, they will end up like their old man.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
What works is that you tell them that if they don't go to university and become a professional, they will end up like their old man.

You know my mode has said on numerous occasions to my son you don’t want to clean carpets the rest of your.

At 23 with him putting 8% of his check
Into the 401k and getting a 7 per cent match he could end up north of 8k in his first year of saving there. He’s also saving more living At
Home to buy instead of rent somewhere.

Name
Matt Ross
I have half a dozen cousins who all excelled in college. I make more than them, work less than them, (except for the ones who can't find a job), and don't have the debt they have. College doesn't always equal education. I encourage education, but college isn't always the answer...
Heck even my mom who got her bachelor's and has been a dedicated teacher working 55hrs a week for 30 years makes less now than I did at 29. And she has to put up with 6-8th graders every day.
Most of my generation and younger have relied on technology to do their work, and have been given everything for nothing. There are exceptions, fortunently.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Unless you want want to be a Doc or lawyer... University is overrated..it was huge mistake for me to go. I am glad that I stopped and took a different path. Best decision ever.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Unless you want want to be a Doc or lawyer... University is overrated..it was huge mistake for me to go. I am glad that I stopped and took a different path. Best decision ever.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence
J

JS41035

I have to say that my Dad is great at figuring out how to find good employees.
His employee Jon is the best I’ve ever encountered on the job. But I can honestly say I would never have hired him, or would have fired him in a day or two. But now he is what I would say close to perfect. Always on time. Uniform clean and never needs a hair cut. Handles a box truck with a 100 grand worth of stuff in it while I sleep like a baby.
But I would have passed. So while it humbles me to say it ...Dads way of hiring and training works. I’m the first to criticize the young people of this generation , but it is what we have to deal with. So learning how to motivate young men who have almost no mechanical ability or social skill is gonna be something I need to accept.
Dad genuinely believes every young person can be a good worker. I remember constant praise, with a steady stream of genuine responsibilities handed out as soon as possible.
I’ve wasted some great talent, either by my abrasive attitude toward grown men who can’t do what I consider simple or by not rewarding rockstars with both the money and responsibilities they wanted.
I imagine you are gonna be pretty good at finding some rockstars Mark. Having the heart of a teacher, probably helps.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Just had a nice meeting with young energetic man who owns a building, his own home and an artist. And paints exteriors and helps with a vrbo cleaning.

Guy likes to work and personable. Encouraging meeting. Going to get him with me on a truck... As soon as my new one back out of the shop and see what he thinks about carpet cleaning.

He has been watching some of our videos. Will see but encouraging meeting as he is mature enough also!

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Hey Mark, accept my friend request on instagram.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom