Turf Cleaning

Name
R.J. Povio
I have a 10k sf turf job at a gym to do. It used to be a baseball training facility. It has been vacant for a while. The new owner is turning the place into a gym. I have truckmounted equipment. How do you go about cleaning this stuff. What chems can or can't you use? How about pricing? Anyone that has done this type of cleaning I would like your insight.

Name
Brad Gouveia
I just had some stuff put in my yard. I would take a close look at it and see if they put any sand down on it. Our has it and you would not know it unless you get down and really look.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Wasn't there a Bane ad not long ago with 3 vans sitting on the sidelines

Sand would not be fun!

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
if it is glued down I would think you could rinse it but if it has a fill like sand or rubber pellets you can spray it with a quat

I think Rampage cleaned a bunch of it

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The preferred cleaning method is to pre-spray with a high-alkaline (eco-safe) detergent and pressure wash. If there is no sand/rubber fill you can use your truckmount and a rotary extractor but you won't really recover much water. Oily soils will wick back, so plan to make a return trip to use a shampooer or bonnet cleaner. If you plan on using a rotary of any kind, make sure you use a large enough power cord that you don't burn your motor.

If the turf was installed over anything but pavement, pass on the job.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Might want to test a smaller area first, the couple we have done stains wicked back even with encapping. Not all of them but a couple.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Hot water is better to break down sticky stuff like tobacco chaw/spit, which I'd guess you'll find a lot of if this field was used for baseball. Temporary stripes and logos are usually applied using an egg or milk based tempera paint that can be dissolved using ammonia and some agitation, but don't guarantee that you'll get all of it out.

The turf is made to drain water through, with the idea that anything that gets on the turf would have gone down a parking lot drain anyway. That's where the use of an eco-safe product comes in. The local university uses "something" and a fire hose to clean their field turf, all draining to the nearby lake. If an area is impacted badly enough that that type of cleaning doesn't work for them they just replace that section of turf.

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Lee Stockwell
We did the turf at Murray State in 2001 after a painting accident. Needed lots of heat, and it was already over 100 degrees on the field at midnight. Came out great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom