Two rugs today

hogjowl

Idiot™
Brady called me this morning to tell me one of the two rugs he was being asked to clean was a Wool, cotton and viscose blend. Said he didn’t want to clean it. I agreed. I was proud he caught it.

But ... what if it wasn’t tagged and he went by a burn test.

I’d be buying a $4000 rug.
That’s what the lady paid for it.

Name
Jeff T
Whatever the brain trust says, DONT clean rugs on site...

I think Merla and Gail would both agree...

Name
Jeff T
Brady called me this morning to tell me one of the two rugs he was being asked to clean was a Wool, cotton and viscose blend. Said he didn’t want to clean it. I agreed. I was proud he caught it.

If he went by a burn test, it would smell like burnt hair, and paper. 1st clue to NOT DO IT ON SITE...

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
We clean wool rugs on site all the time.
The problem is most wool rugs are to dense to just prespray and run a wand over it. You can certainly freshen it up a bit and maybe take out some spots but not really a proper cleaning. As long as your charging appropriately.

• Eyeroll
Reactions: hogjowl

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I bet you do...
We preferred to clean back at our shop but would on occasion not be able to talk a client out of on site cleaning. It wasn't anything we enjoyed doing, it meant tarps, airmovers and a second trip to pick them up.

We charged extra for the service but it was such a pain, none of the techs ever wanted those jobs.

• Sad
Reactions: T Monahan

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The problem is most wool rugs are to dense to just prespray and run a wand over it. You can certainly freshen it up a bit and maybe take out some spots but not really a proper cleaning. As long as your charging appropriately.
A Zipper flushed better than a scrub wand and left them much drier too.

Mikey P

Administrator
And tell your kid not to be such a freaking millennial *********.

Get him a CRV with some white brushes and keep a bag of compound on the truck for a quick $300

Last edited:

Tom Forsythe

The main problem with cleaning on site is that the tech may not identify the rug properly. IF you have a knowledge of rugs and IF you have a clear understanding of the proper method for each rug, then why not clean SOME rugs on site. We know and make sure the customer knows that it will be a maintenance cleaning and not a restoration cleaning. The maintenance cleaning should be around half the restoration charge.

I have maintenance cleaned rugs on site for years. IF you properly vacuum, then a simple encapsulation or extraction cleaning is fine. Years ago we did a rug class in Salt Lake and I brought one of my heavy use Karastan rugs to the class. Doug and Scott did a great job with a pit wash method and it was the cleanest it had ever been. When I brought the rug back to the house, I told no one of its great cleaning, they just knew it had been cleaned. No one noticed how much cleaner it was than my previous encapsulation or extraction cleaning.

The conclusion of the matter is that most customers want their rugs cleaner. Choosing between a good, better or best cleaning is probably more of a function of economics than reaching a high standard of cleaning. This is especially true when the $4.00 per sq. ft. cleaning charge is almost half of the purchase price of the rug being cleaned. Our society is on the verge of becoming a throw away society. Many buy a rug knowing that they will replace it in five years sometimes meaning they will not clean it during its entire use in the house. This is a logical decision especially if they need to pay $4.00 a foot for a restorative cleaning on a rug they plan to replace in the next few years.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
We have a decent sized rug cleaning plant and yet we also clean quite a number of area rugs in the home every year. The problem in trying to explain that it can only be cleaned in the plant is that either they have had it cleaned in their home by someone else with no issues or they will find someone else to do it.

The on-location cleaning is explained as just a maintenance type cleaning. And our crews are well versed in what they can and can't clean in the home.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan

The smartest move. Two thumbs up. Taking chances with expensive "junk" rugs leads to misery,

when we did an OP demo on some "nice" wool rugs at our last HS class, many eyes were open to just how good you can make a rug look with very little effort.
Be thankful for the great members here that won't allow this to turn into the Aussie Board.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
when we did an OP demo on some "nice" wool rugs at our last HS class, many eyes were open to just how good you can make a rug look with very little effort.

I guess I just "don't understand"....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom