Unemployment claims

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
do they notify you if someone puts in a claim? Can you dispute it ? How does it affect your rate ?

Gene

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
do they notify you if someone puts in a claim? Can you dispute it ? How does it affect your rate ?

Gene

In MN you get a notice and you can make a case for it....

I had one person quit to go take another job....

There was still employment available with us...

He got laid off in that Fall from his new job...

I had also had him sign a paper stating he left to go to work for.... XYZ company...

They wanted me to pay the most of his unemployment....

Made a call, and showed some paper work...and I was off the hook entirely...

Check with your State...there should be a contact to dispute the claim on a form you would be sent.

Reactions: ronbeatty

FredC

Village Idiot
Protest and Appeal
Reemployment assistance law provides a fair and impartial hearing to resolve disputes. The Department of Revenue will make every attempt to resolve informal protests. If not resolved, the employer can appeal to the Department of Economic Opportunity. In most instances, appeals must be filed within 20 days from the date printed on the notice, must be in writing, and must clearly state the reasons for appealing. Read the appeal rights on the notice to ensure that you file your appeal within the specified time frame. For more information, contact the Department of Economic Opportunity, Division of Workforce Services.

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/taxes/reemployment.html#claims

http://dor.myflorida.com/Forms_library/current/rt800001.pdf

Last edited:

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I have an idea the last guy is going to put in a claim. Almost two years he worked for me. During that time he missed around 80 days. He did send me a text quitting after missing 3 days in a row. He wasn't fired and still could be working, but he would have to show up first.

Gene

FredC

Village Idiot
Disqualification :
A claimant may be disqualified because of the reason for separation from work. The facts pertaining to the circumstances causing the separation must be clearly established. The following may disqualify an individual from receiving benefits:

1. Voluntarily quit without good cause attributable to the employing unit.

http://dor.myflorida.com/Forms_library/current/rt800001.pdf

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
I have an idea the last guy is going to put in a claim. Almost two years he worked for me. During that time he missed around 80 days. He did send me a text quitting after missing 3 days in a row. He wasn't fired and still could be working, but he would have to show up first.

Gene

Should be an easy win then.

Simply fill in "work available" and send back.
If he does come back make sure you have good paperwork going forward. Sounds like a repeat offender...

Brian H

Name
Brian H
In Michigan, 3 days of no call/no show are considered a voluntary resignation.

No way would I allow that guy back on my property, much less have him back working and you looking for a way to fire him.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Almost two years he worked for me. During that time he missed around 80 days.

Gene, Gene, Gene... 80 days in 2 years is 15% of the time he worked for you he missed. The biggest lesson I have learned over the years is get rid of people who don't want to show up to work.

I think it was Mack Clark who used to call those type of employees "phantoms" because you never knew whether they would come to work or not. Get rid of them!!

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Gene, Gene, Gene... 80 days in 2 years is 15% of the time he worked for you he missed. The biggest lesson I have learned over the years is get rid of people who don't want to show up to work.

I think it was Mack Clark who used to call those type of employees "phantoms" because you never knew whether they would come to work or not. Get rid of them!!

I've been running an ad for months. My wife has interviewed all that will answer their phone. Anything from no license for dui to just released from prison. I went through a few guys that showed up but they all quit. One guy quit after an hour of seeing the schedule. I would love to replace him but the last guy literally could not roll up 50' of solution in his hand without making a huge mess. I worked with him then my wife, but he couldn't do it. I generate to much work for one guy, even one young guy and I'm not young.

Gene

Reactions: Mikey P

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Try checking with your / a church in your area.

We did. The kid who can't roll up a 50' solution line is the son from a lady in my wife's bible study. The area we are in is very affluent. The kids drive some pretty amazing cars. Most don't need or want to work. I put up a flyer in the little Brazilian church down the street but no luck. I can get summer help but I don't want to train someone to have him leave for college in a few months.

Gene

Brian H

Name
Brian H
My ideal employee candidate is around 20 years old, with some college. Maybe they don't have what it takes to be a student but are good workers.

We have at least 3 full time cleaners who started with us as summer help. 2 of them have 4 year degrees. They worked over the summer, went back to school and when they graduated, they came back. Even if the summer help does go back to school, they may know someone else who is looking for a good job.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I can get summer help but I don't want to train someone to have him leave for college in a few months.
We used lots of guys as they went through school. We booked harder in the afternoons after class and on Tuesday & Thursday their days with no class. I don't have currently but would gladly take a hard worker, even if its only 25-30 hours a week.

Granted there was some give and take, when they had big tests or finals but generally it worked out great.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I'm lucky I guess.

No problem getting good help, but you have to have a good sense of the qualifications needed for success.

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Had a tech go on bereavement leave for a week. Called texted and a month later hired someone. He files and wins in the hearing because I didn't give him something in writing. I said "HE MOVED TO ANOTHER STATE AND I DID NOT HAVE HIS ADDRESS!!". Not an excuse they said. Oregon sucks regarding unemployment.

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom