Upholstery Indentification Help

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
Contacted to clean a Sofa, LS, and ottoman. She thinks it might be cotton but isn't sure. I don't clean any risky furniture, don't enjoy doing it anyway so always figured why take on the stress?

Of course I can burn test if I go, but would like to save the trip if any of the experts here tell me to stay away. Looks like Acrylic/Poly blends are popular with this company so maybe it's 100% synthetic? I certainly can't tell from a picture, though.

25830.jpeg
25829.jpeg

@Jim Pemberton @Mikey P @Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Looks like an easy clean. Doesn't appear to be a problem. I'd use upholstery chems, no high ph chems. Neutral or acid rinse and keep it dry. It's not very soiled so I wouldn't get to aggressive with precondition.

If you're still concerned pickup one of the cushions to test clean at home. We like to clean all the cushions at our shop and then we only deal with the base when we return the cushion.

You can do a better job on any heavily soiled ones and control your time onsite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Name
Jeff T
I cleaned a Stickley a few weeks back.... I followed procedures, it turned out great.... I started to sweat bullets only after I got home and looked it up.... that’s one piece of furniture I wouldn’t want to ruin....

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I've screwed up furniture. I'VE REALLY SCREWED UP FURNITURE!
-From putting vac lines in suede (paid $300 for that screw up)
-To pulling microfiber threads out of lazyboy due to too much suction (paid $250 for that one)
-And bleaching out a fiber the same as above with 12% peroxide (See Jim Pemberten's thread)

But for this one, i'd do it without worry. Just use a fine fabric prespray and acid rinse, and you'll be good

Reactions: Nomad74

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
This should not be a problem if you have good upholstery tool that leaves the fabric dry. Otherwise, as Mike says, lots of dry strokes.

The upholstery tool should pull the fabric to the tool by the vacuum. Don't push the tool down into the fabric. Strokes go with the direction of the stripes.

Reactions: SamIam and D Luke

SamIam

Name
sam miller
A lot of good advice here. I'm on board with the chemical choices, tool choices, and techniques.

Best advice includes this:

Test it.

You would be surprised at how many of those had blue stripes that bled.

Open Zipper! Clip and burn a little excess fabric!

IF it turns to ash and smells like paper it’s cotton!

If it sputters and melts it’s synthetic or a blend!

What ever it does!

Say to the customer give me five minutes I’ll be right back!

Run to car and post results here!

Actually Scott had good advice can’t go wrong either way!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom