Upholstery shampoos

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I am not enjoying spraying down upholstery with any type of sprayer because of the overspray.
Can any of the foam upholstery shampoos be wet extracted with good results, or will they just make a big foamy mess of my equipment?

PCCN

Actually i have found that I clean bettre by using a foam cleaner rather than the normal presprays. Yes, you do have to be careful not to overload with detergent but just for me, I find that light scrubbing and shampoo doess a much better job. I use an all fiber rinse and rinse well and have no issues. Unless doing lots of upholstery at the same lcoations, the waste tank can accomodate thelittle extra foam anyway. Or at worst case, sprinkle a little defoamer into the hose at the start. Good luck.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
A horsehair brush or sea sponge work well to spread preconditioner or shampoo and allow you to control the moisture without overspray.

So you can spray the brush or sponge and agitate in or you can go old school and use a bucket and brush.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
You can get upholstery shampoos that work effectively in the mildly acidic range and provide good soil removal from natural fibers.

For sensitive dyes and natural fiber white fabrics such products are good when used for dry foam cleaning or as preconditioning agents followed by light rinsing.

You should know that such products do not readily rinse from fabrics, and that in many cases rinsing after application instead of just vacuuming makes the cleaner feel better about what he thinks he's doing rather than his efforts truly resulting in complete rinsing of the fabric.

Fabric protector applied to upholstery that has such residues won't perform as well as your sales presentation and demo to your customer infers.

If shampooing as a preconditioner or stand alone process is the safest and most effective option, then by all means do it.

Just understand what you really are doing....and not doing.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Jim Pemberton said:
You should know that such products do not readily rinse from fabrics

This is what I am concerned about.
All the upholstery shampoos I have looked at are meant to be dry vacc'ed out. Unless I can achieve the same level of rinsing "wet", I will keep at it using presprays.
I was hoping I could take advantage of the seemingly easier, neater application of foam, as opposed to over-spraying liquids all over the place.
Any foams out there that are meant to be wet extracted?
Is it the encapsulating/crystallizing properties that make it easier to rinse when dry, because I know of several carpet presprays/shampoos that have encapsulating properties, that can be wet extracted according to the manufacturer.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Chemspec - Fast Drying Upholstery Shampoo

Rinse out or leave in, foam or no foam - does everything! Great product.

It's like 20$ a gal, try it...

Get a 6" buffer(like for waxing cars - ours was 30$), microfiber cover, bottle of the chemspec. Good to go.

Doing it by hand with a brush would take me way to long. Whats more impressive to Ms Smith. Guy with a brush or guy with a spinny thing scrubbing her couch a 200 times a minute.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
i prefer bridge pointes ( avenge or fabric prespray ) products for upholstery. i use a number 1 tip with a narrow angle and spray it lightly then brush. if you are over spraying use a narrower angle. you can cover the floor with a big painters cloth. shampoos leave to much residue.

gene

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
For what it's worth any of the foams that you rub in/on to the fabric can then be wet extracted i.e. flushed for a more thorough flushing/cleaning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom