urine smell on a couch

P

pitmaster

It Microfiber light in color what would work to get the smell out ? customer said child had an accident on the couch just paid 2500 for it a week ago cant see the stain but that kid need some water what would help i dont do much Upholstery :?:

Ron K

Dear Mr Pit
Your problem is going to be that it's not ON the couch it's IN the couch. Real bad may mean Cushion replacement . What are the cushions made of? You might try injecting your Deodorizer but that can have limited success.

maker

I recently had cat urine on a microfiber couch. I used OSR and it worked . At least the custumor was happy.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I do what your not supposed to do and had no problems, I take the cushion covers off and pit soak the foam, padding,

After a few hours and little rolling, completely drying (water claw) maybe a little spray adhesive to reattched differnet layers, I reassemble and clean the fabric as needed. Now if its the actuel couch, I inject deo. agents, dwell and water claw back out...

usually these are the types of cleaning situations I prefer to have brought back to the plant for cleaning.. that way I have control over the cleaning and drying.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
What David said.

I do the "inject and vacuum the cushion flat in a plastic bag bit", but if you aren't careful you can end up with water stains on the cushions after they dry. So I always clean and dry them as quickly as I can afterward.

But bringing them in (cushions if only they are affected, full piece if the structure got nailed) is usually best. You just can't get enough product to the source of the odor and then get everything extracted out consistently or safely on location.

Of course, the furniture has to be worth it. For some people, its just time to set it out on the street to be picked up.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
pitmaster said:
what product would work best to clean it with?

If it is microfiber...It "should" be colorfast.... :!:

Rent an OZONE machine from a local distributor...

Put the cushion in a plastic BAG and "ZAP-IT"... :wink:
If the cushion is NOT detachable...Wrap the entire sofa in Plastic...

Ps ..Notify the client that the OZONE can possibly distort the color in some fabrics..
Have them "sign-off "... :idea:

Pss I have NEVER seen this happen with ozone...However it is possible.. :|

sweendogg said:
I do what your not supposed to do and had no problems, I take the cushion covers off and pit soak the foam, padding,

After a few hours and little rolling, completely drying (water claw) maybe a little spray adhesive to reattched differnet layers, I reassemble and clean the fabric as needed. Now if its the actuel couch, I inject deo. agents, dwell and water claw back out...

usually these are the types of cleaning situations I prefer to have brought back to the plant for cleaning.. that way I have control over the cleaning and drying.

A typical microfiber sofa is around 500-700 dollars. How much would you charge to do that?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Find out what it is worth for the client.
If they are willing to pay for you to hang out around the sofa for a few days than do what the the Sweendog suggests.

Most clients will not.

Next step, you tell the client: "Here is how you can save money."

Their eyes light up.

Have them (with all the necessary disclaimers after all you did not do that on their sofa, it is their problem) (who knows, it might also be a good time to discuss corporal punishment :lol: )

Anyhow, back to our subject- Have the client take the foam (filling) material out put in a plastic bag and soak for two days with a good natural enzyme product and let it sit.

Then they should remove it and let it dry.

When you come to clean the sofa (cushion should be completely dry), you will still need to treat the urine on the microfiber and re-install the cushion. Use the trick of putting the cushion in a plastic bag, vacuuming so it shrinks and putting it back.

Voila!

You are their hero.

At least till the cat/spouse/drunk buddy does it again.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
If I'm taking the cushions apart usually about $70 a cushion.. If I'm injecting a couch and cushions and cleaning, probably looking about $450.00 total... still cheaper than a new sofa in most cases. And I never have to babysit, I do the couch on a day I'm batch washing a bunch of rugs. However most of the time its only cushions.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
The only couch that ever "beat me" belonged to a guy who owned a pet lion, and this full sized carnivore had that couch so soaked with urine and his "Hi Ladies!" spray that it nearly cleared out our entire plant.

Of course that was 30 years ago. We might have been able to fix it with today's products, but it was a matter of sheer volume of liquid plus the "nature of the beast".

• Wow
Reactions: Bryce C

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I'd imageine that at that point with that much urine... it wouldn't be a matter of saving the fabric, but watching how fast the steel frame rusted or the wooden frame rotted! :mrgreen:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
The structure was amazingly sound. That's part of the reason we wanted to save it (and part was the stupid pride thing....)

You should have seen how thick the hair was from that monster.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I've seen how animals react when you change their environment, I don't think I'd want to be the guy who met lion after I changed his couch! :shock:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom