Used Thermal Wave, what to consider?

Becker

Name
Becker
What should I look at on a used thermal wave?

3600 hrs.. Asking price around $10k 2006 model.

Becker

Name
Becker
good question.. Might be the old nissan, or the new vortec.. what is the perfered motor Adam.. Just give the straight dope Adam, I was hoping you'd chime in..

TonyC

Name
Tony Castellano
Run away from anything BlueLine made...not worth the trouble..overpriced...junk...all i had was trouble with them...terrible customer service...

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
The Nissan motor was a great motor. The newer Vortex was good but the Nissan is the best. However the Vortex had some changes done and the heat is a little better. Is it a TW2? those have super great heat. Check to make sure the muffler hasnt vibrated off. Had some of those issues. With that many hours it probably has had the muffler mod.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
If it is a first generation Nissan it is a good machine. It was a close to a Prochem as you could possibly get without putting a Prochem sticker on it. The machines are still running today that we sold. The parts are all still available. Now as for 10k that is a fair price nor over price or under priced depending on how hard of hours those 3600 hours where. I would have to see the machine to say for sure. It might be a peice of crap or a Diamond. If I was selling it for 10k it would be worth 10k but very rarley do I see a machine straight from a cleaner with that many hours that is worth that much.

bensurdi

Name
Benjamin Surdi
It has the Nissan engine in it. Ours has been good. We ran into a few speed bumps with it but overall we're happy with the machine now.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
My mistake. It has 1600 hrs. Nissan engine.

I hear rumors of them running rich in hot weather. ???

the only problem I had with mine in our heat was.....overheating because the fan was not pulling enough air.....upgraded the fan and never have had another problem.....if one can run in our hell heat..you should have no problems....

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I had a thermal wave II, I believe it had the nissan motor, very few issuses but didn't like theheat output in the winter time

had in electrical issue in the NW weather had to put electrical lube on all the electrical connections but she ran fine after that

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
1600 hours is a good deal. Many people added a fan or replaced the fan to get more airflow. I think that is a must. The Nissan were not great heat machines when it got cold. If it checks out good, I think 10k is a good price.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I think buying a machine from a company that is no longer in business should reflect in the price. where on earth are you going to get parts or service?? a few months back I heard tom fielding admit that vortec motored machines did have issues he also said doing a timing belt on one is an all day job. both the guy I was with and tom both agreed the ones with nissans were great machines. apparently it was emissions and the government that caused the nissan to be phased out.

honestly I would not pay 10k for a machine with those kind of hours on it, unless it was ran by an anal owner operator like myself. post some pics of the machine. I am thinking more like 7 grand and thats if its in good shape and has the nissan

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
1600 hours is a good deal. Many people added a fan or replaced the fan to get more airflow. I think that is a must. The Nissan were not great heat machines when it got cold. If it checks out good, I think 10k is a good price.

all one would have to do is put a thermostat/ temperature controlled fan on it......just like what is in most cars now a day.....

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
Thats right, they have little 10 inch fans at NAPA that move a ton of air. $50 if i remember.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
part number VA08 AP71/LL...

the wiring harness is a bit different and you have to change it..and you have to drill the fan shroud for the new brackets....but this fan pushes way more air across the unit and keeps it cooler....I have had no problems since I change it and we get pretty hot here...

IMG_5608.jpg

IMG_5609.jpg

IMG_5610.jpg

in some cases it is all about air.....where you live will set how you want to control it.....our winters don't get cold enough to worry about to much heat loss.....I will drop maybe 10 to 20 degrees in the winter...but I still have plenty of heat to clean with...up north if the ambient air temps effect your machines...then go with a stat controlled fan....you probably wont get great results.....but will to bet it will be good enough to clean with......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom