Using sub contractors...need advise?

PTMatt

Name
Matt Martinez
So my in-laws are retiring and I'm considering taking over their carpet and tile cleaning business. The only issue is that their business is out of state. If I did take it over I would most likely look for a few good sub contractors to do the work. Can anybody give me input on using subs? Is it a big headache or something that is manageable with the right people? I'd really like to find a way to take over and run their business efficiently from outta state as they have a very large and loyal clientele. Any input and suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I would PM Brian Robison- he has experience in this area and I believe he had some success and may still be doing it.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I would think a bunch of subs would most likely slowly destroy the business in many ways.
Maybe better to find one responsible person to actually RUN it, and manage it properly.
Your in-laws were that businesses "Identity", something a bunch of subs can not duplicate.

Being out of state will be the challenge. If your not showing your face regularly, and watching your investment personally, your looking for trouble in my opinion.

Samson

Supportive Member
Name
Samson Rollins
I would agree, trying to take over a local service based business and run it from out of state sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
i'm sure if you had the right strategies in place, it could be successful.

if only there were someone who taught a class on that.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Asking people who have not done it seems odd. Those of us who haven't will have our own perceptions but no actual experience to learn from.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

PTMatt

Name
Matt Martinez
Asking people who have not done it seems odd. Those of us who haven't will have our own perceptions but no actual experience to learn from.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I figured their would be some people on here who have experience using subs. Guess it's not a real common practice. Brian R. must of been one of the few on this board who's done it.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
What do Your in laws say? do they know anybody who could work for You? get a good sub agreement! or use employees.

Use full circle for answering the phones and get service monster for who ever you use so you can track jobs, also have more people then you need so when one fails or cant work your covered.

subs tell You what days they can work and You book leads for them. If You need to train someone do You have experience, and can You go and do that?

how much expense involved in running what they do? advertisement,rents equipment?

expense is something You have to consider when subbing if techs are unreliable Your hosed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SamIam

Name
sam miller
What else do you need to know about subs? Your looking for anybody who is cleaning already and needs more work! someone who has all they're own insurance's and a business,

hopefully a unmarked vehicle and can where a shirt with Your companies name on it.
or a vehicle where you can have a magnet with your name on it.

I think Staple's sells a generic sub agreement.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

CrazyRay

Name
Ray Waits
I worked many independent contractors (subs) for many years. There are a number of things that should be done to run as clean and audit resistent as possible. But I am courious, why are you asking about the independent contractor arrangement when you are faced with trying to run a service business that's out of town?

PTMatt

Name
Matt Martinez
I think he gave up on us

lol...no Sam I didnt give up. Just got busy and havnt checked back. I appreciate your input. My main concern with a sub is scheduling, handling payments and retaining my customers. My in-laws do have a person that can do the sub work. I already use Service Monster for my area and would look into Full Circle to handle the phone calls. Its something i'm still considering but does seem like it might be a real headache.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
I had 2 subs in the past and they can be a major headache, especially when your work conflicts with their work. It works decent in the commercial (prop mgt & apts) but hard in residential. I started out subbing, so I know how it works from both sides.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom