UV Flashlight Hell

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
I've read every thread on here about UV flashlights and I can't figure out what to get. It's like they all work fine or they all break. My experience is the latter. First I got a 10 watt cheapo $20 and it still works fine but its too weak in daylight. Then got a 15 watt $40 uv light off scamazon and it simply stopped working and I'm past the darn return window. Gutted the thing, inspected every component, then carefully reassembled it and nothing. Replaced the battery with a nice make from a local battery store and still nothing.

I read some say to get the pp 5000 or other comparable models but some say they are unreliable too. Then there is the uv beast on scamazon and it seems like a piece of junk that breaks for quite a few people that use it. wtf :hopeless:

Not sure why but this is seriously frustrating. I need a flippin uv light and I feel perplexed and stupid as to what to buy. I just want to get a simple well made piece of equipment so I don't need to worry about it. At this point I don't care how much it costs if I don't have to piss away another few hours of my life thinking and tending to it. Apologies for the venting but I really hate wasted money and time.

Now I have a bunch of 26650 li-ion rechargeable batteries and chargers. I read the pp5000 uses those. Would be nice if I could utilize some of the gear I already have. Any suggestions or testimonials from folks would be massively appreciated.

Name
Jeff T
Lookup forensic lights. 365nm - 395nm.

There is a rabbit hole waiting just for you Bryce….

I’m just about to dive into making Portuguese chicken (Piri Piri), or I’d link a few sites… 😁

• Love
Reactions: Bryce C

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
Thanks Sierra! You pointed me in the right direction. This thing looks like the ticket, at a good price too. Just can't find it's overall power in the specs. I imagine it is sufficient with the required battery power. I'll have to do more research and hope my little 10 watt scamazon clunker keeps truckin until I can get something proper.

Last edited:
Name
Swani
Most UV lights sold by individuals in this industry are bought off Ali Baba or other similar sites. This is one that Mikey's competitor sells for over triple the cost. Screenshot_20240417_212348_Chrome.jpg

• Wow

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
Thanks guys I really appreciate all the feedback. It will help me immensely as I research and invest. And great reminders to keep it close, as well as not to get duped.

Just had to do an enzyme treatment with a puny underpowered uv light again today. So frustrating and embarassing. Gotta get better gear fast. Cheers to the race!

Reactions: Living The Dream

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
I love my pp5000 got one on sale at Christmas, of course some how I left one in a house over a year ago and didn't realize it for a week never got it back.
You should have played with their heads and said the apple tracker is binging at their their location. Might have suddenly reappeared from thin air.

Ain’t it amazing how your stuff somehow another becomes Bermuda triangled in people’s home you were just in a few day back.

Reactions: SamIam

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
I no longer use a UV light.

Last time I used one, spots appeared everywhere. Showed the homeowner. He then decided to pull the carpet.

Cut my own nose off lost the job. Had a chance to smack em down with a sludge hammer. But noooo I had to go in Bill Yeadon style cowboy to the rescue uv light.
Since that job lost, I no longer show uv nothing to the wallet / purse owner.

Lesson learned. Why give your job$ away to HD new carpet installation.

Reactions: SamIam
Name
Nate W.
Last edited:

BIG WOOD

The Timminator
Name
Matt w.
Thanks guys I really appreciate all the feedback. It will help me immensely as I research and invest. And great reminders to keep it close, as well as not to get duped.

Just had to do an enzyme treatment with a puny underpowered uv light again today. So frustrating and embarassing. Gotta get better gear fast. Cheers to the race!
I know you're in the market for a light, but have you considered getting a moisture meter for urine detection as well? Not to detect wet urine, but to detect the urine salts which show the true source.

A urine light can only show where the urine was, and keep in mind it also shows spots that have already been cleaned (light purple haze) , so you might be cleaning spots that don't need to be cleaned. A moisture meter can prevent that problem.

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
Quit using a light after a customer asked to see the carpet after i was done. The spots will still be translucent after you clean. Will only guarantee odor removal if I can pull the carpet back, treat the backside, replace the padding and seal the floor charging for every step of the way. Never had anyone do it. Just do the best you can.

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
I know you're in the market for a light, but have you considered getting a moisture meter for urine detection as well? Not to detect wet urine, but to detect the urine salts which show the true source.

A urine light can only show where the urine was, and keep in mind it also shows spots that have already been cleaned (light purple haze) , so you might be cleaning spots that don't need to be cleaned. A moisture meter can prevent that problem.

That was a very informative thread! Thanks bud. No I haven't considered a moisture meter for that. Question though, how would a moisture meter detect dried urine salts? I imagine most treatments are taking place after the majority of the urine has dried minus a few areas, and yet has not been cleaned...

I obviously need to do more research into moisture meters. And a ton of other pressing stuff. Man, initiation phase of this biz is serious. Just keeps getting wider and deeper. Incredible.

Last edited:
Reactions: BIG WOOD

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
Quit using a light after a customer asked to see the carpet after i was done. The spots will still be translucent after you clean. Will only guarantee odor removal if I can pull the carpet back, treat the backside, replace the padding and seal the floor charging for every step of the way. Never had anyone do it. Just do the best you can.
That really makes sense and will help my pre-game with all the future urine jobs we do. Thanks a bunch.

I bet there are a few rare high end clients that would go for it. And maybe be pissed about anything less. Great call explaining and offering it every time.

Last edited:

BIG WOOD

The Timminator
Name
Matt w.
That was a very informative thread! Thanks bud. No I haven't considered a moisture meter for that. Question though, how would a moisture meter detect dried urine salts? I imagine most treatments are taking place after the majority of the urine has dried minus a few areas, and yet has not been cleaned...

I obviously need to do more research into moisture meters. And a ton of other pressing stuff. Man, initiation phase of this biz is serious. Just keeps getting wider and deeper. Incredible.
The urine salts reflect off of the sensors in the meter, and it'll say in the gauge that it's wet

you don't need an expensive meter

get a pinless one like this so you can just slide it over the carpet

Amazon product
View: https://www.amazon.com/Calculated-Industries-7445-Non-invasive-Restoration/dp/B07PK62JSS/ref=sr_1_24?crid=374IAWZQKC1EM&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.QFZf-c3FD9lud7RdiQf09jbMtaTBNs--TfKiKD6Qinw-cq3SwElgPOZizOJu7f90RJc4Ra6uRWV7__Zby04am9IWIgoAr0ElvSy58P1VJPZbKY4HnzVOpqJCUCQSiFNq9Xg3InsaW-BU0OYinWlh2IXyZCeSIMOxJ0N0FQyVlKIZ1z32QGltpsMVf06Mgtx4lLnNRCIFo7o0VGRmwTNFhwq5gji7LLVXGT97XnY0fOHbJQOyTXYkv6dJa_Bmxc2_XyhoYEdADhvI_0RSKB2W4m8nbhs3aLEwqb-JvEVky3U.Bb79MKMANc6rvMX2zTtD2Khmk2rpp6nKyI1QJpk1CBU&dib_tag=se&keywords=moisture%2Bmeter&qid=1719451808&sprefix=moisture%2Caps%2C126&sr=8-24&th=1

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
The urine salts reflect off of the sensors in the meter, and it'll say in the gauge that it's wet

you don't need an expensive meter

get a pinless one like this so you can just slide it over the carpet
That's really cool. I'll grab one and use it how you describe. Thanks for the tip, and the link!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom