Vacuuming Smart Strand

hogjowl

Idiot™
What works? I'm not interested in using cheap Bissels from Walmart (which I hear will work on this fiber). I just don't want to have to trial and error my way to finding the answer.

What are you guys using?

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Don't listen to these goofs...

Get a cheap bissel from Fry's or Home Crapo.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Watch for discussion in the June issue of Cleanfax.

Some new carpet products, including some Smartstrand, have very thin (low denier) fibers put a thick pile. The vacuum tends to sink down into the plush pile and the small fibers clogged up the vacuum slot. Result limited or no airflow.

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
Anyway.....

Marty.... Can you justify $50 for an experiment?

Get a used Kirby and have a good look and play with the unit. Look at the brush roll. It has numbers 1 to 3 on it. These represent different brush roll bristle height settings. This combined with the foot pedal height adjustment and BIG fan will give you lots of flow and lots of control.

Grant

Reactions: hogjowl

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Marty,

I have smartstrand in my home and the only decent vacuum you can get around here that will last (and have a warranty) is the Dyson, so we run with it.

Been using the animal version and just bought the ball version to compare.

So far pleased with both versions (as dyson has tamed down the beater bar from earlier times)

I have a 57 ounce smartstrand plus.

I am not seeing distortion or a problem on it.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Marty,
Mohawk and Shaw both have a list of vacuums on their websites that work well. They have cheap and expensive. I tested several that we carry on the 100 oz Carress nylon from Shaw. The common thread was large adjustable wheels.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I have a really steady customer who just had his whole house replaced with a high pile Smart Strand. He's called me twice about his problem finding a vacuum for it. He was insistent the Mohawk did not allow a Dyson on it.

So, I have to buy SOMETHING before he calls me to clean it.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Any vacuum that does not have a brush will work just fine. No brush vacuum will get deep soil out without doing a certain amount of damage to this type of carpet anyway, and if you lean on any aggressive brush machine you'll get cornrowing. You can turn off the brush on those cheap Bissels from Walmart.

Nobody here remembers that fine denier plush nylon from the 80's? High end, didn't last long.

All of y'all, except for Scott, can CMA.
Carry? Candy? Corrupt? Guess I'm out of touch with Cids these days :)

Reactions: truckmount girl

Able 1

Name
Keith
I picked up a Hoover Windtunnel rewind today, just because I lost my Bissel to the ghetto(I think they are still poking it with sticks wondering what it is).LOL I bought it because it was my only option at Kohls at $130 it has underperformed the cheap Bissel all around.. When I pulled the cord out I knew it wasn't going back in..:angry:

Reactions: hogjowl

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I know the Oreck commercials have a heck of a beater bar but its more of a soft bristle and it does some serious pile lifting I wonder with the softer brush if its cool?

It never had the problem the sharks do of getting all wrapped up with everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: GeeeAus

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
Well speaking for myself I find all bagless machines toys.

But many here just simply will not entertain otherwise because they require no ongoing costs (save for them being crap and breaking).mSo I spent all of - oh - 10 minutes and found this......

http://www.lg.com/us/vacuum-cleaners/lg-LuV200R-upright-vacuum

http://youtu.be/ctubKEiaCSI

it has corrected - some - of the stupid, brainless, idiotic, cheap, sleazy, thankless, gutless, worthless, energy inefficient, plastic polluting designs misgivings. Clearly some issues as yet remain unresolved.

Grant

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
Well it seems that shaw is a yes for my vacuum cleaner.

http://shawfloors.com/tips-trends/l...g/which-vacuum-models-are-recommended-by-shaw

And Mohawk

http://www.mohawkflooring.com/pdf/selectingvacuum21413.pdf

No listing for the Kirby. So it seems they have not tested it, their list is very brief. They do say in this in the discussion thread underneath - this support article

"We don't currently keep a list of all vacuums that are not well-suited to our carpet, but we do know that Dyson models are not well-suited for premium soft carpets like SmartStrand Silk.
Several consumers have left reviews on our website praising how well Riccar vaccums work with SmartStrand Silk. You can see some of the reviews here--

http://www.mohawkflooring.com/product-reviews/smartstrandsilk/

You can also visit the flooring forum on GardenWeb.com. It wouldn't let me post the link, but if you find the thread labeled "SmartStrand vs. Dyson Vacuum Cleaner," you will see another testimony praising Riccar models & SmartStrand Silk. You'll have to scroll down to the bottom review from user "annieoakli". Thanks for your comment!
Posted @ Wednesday, February 06, 2013 8:37 AM by Rachel Withers"

i'd be game to give the Kirby a go at these. There seems to be a few uprights that work well and the Kirby has a nice wide - low stress head so I do not envisage there will be issues. And I can install a delicates brush roll in the unit if needed for these fibres.

Kirby has nice big wheels that seems to be a big issue.

Mikey, how does your Kirby vacuum SmartStand?

Grant

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
What works? I'm not interested in using cheap Bissels from Walmart (which I hear will work on this fiber). I just don't want to have to trial and error my way to finding the answer.

What are you guys using?

Hey I gotta ask.....

Why aren't you interested in the Cheap Bissell if it is reported to be OK?

I don't like any of them...... But that makes me ask...... What is it about Bissell's plastic that you find objectionable?

Grant

hogjowl

Idiot™
I hate the Bissell because of two things.:

1)It's suction hose is a toy. You lose about 50% of the suction power as soon as you pull it off the vacuum.

2) It doesn't vacuum very well. I'm used to the power of a Dyson, so I am spoiled.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom