Van problem,

S

steamclean

My 93 G30 van is a work horse and in good shape.
I put in a new battery, it turns over and starts well when good or if it sits for more then an hour. But if I run it then go to start it 10 minutes late it will turn over but not start. Apparently when it cools it starts.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
Have you changed your fuel filter? i had a problem once where it would get plugged up and not start but if i let it sit, the grime settled and it started fine. Replaced filter and never had a problem. Could also be a fuel pump or some sort of engine sensor.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Since it turns over, I don't think the starter solenoid would be an issue. I suspect the fuel pump or pump relay. When you first turn the key you should hear the pump pre-run for 6-8 seconds. After you run it a while, stop it, wait your 10 minutes, then turn the key and see if the pump still pre-runs for a few seconds.

I had a pump once that was just about worn out, it would start when cold, and it would keep running when hot, but would not start hot.

Eric Scofield

Name
Eric Scofield
take to an auto parts store and have them pull the codes. a 93 has a ambient air temp sensor, but they dont fail intermitently. its also TBI may have a cold start prob. dont wast time or money pull the CODES... auto part stores in cali doit free

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
Yeah Not starter if it turns over. Good call on the fuel pump relay, they go bad quite often on gm's, may want to replace anyway. They are cheap.

There could be several things wrong at once. Most likely the starter going out. My dad's chevy truck recently had a similar problem. It would crank fine, but if you drove it and then stopped to get gas etc it would not start right away. The truck would need to cool down.

Most likely not the fuel pump. When they go out THEY GO OUT. You can usually get one more start by tapping on the fuel pump while turning key over, but that usually works just once.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
danielc said:
Most likely not the fuel pump. When they go out THEY GO OUT. You can usually get one more start by tapping on the fuel pump while turning key over, but that usually works just once.

Not necessarily so, Daniel-San. I have had several intermittent pumps over the last couple or three decades...

I had a Toyota Starlet (it's OK, no one else remembers them either) that we had to rap on the pump everytime to get it to start, did it for a couple months. I was poor back then and a new one was like $450.

Name
Ron lippold
there is no doubt that its the fuel pump, next time it happens hit the gas tank a few times with a rubber mallet, she will fire right up. you might be able to extend her life by changing the filter. When you buy the pump make sure you get the whole assembly ...

Magic One

Pull the gas line off the carb and see if its getting gas. I always use a see thru gas filter so I can see if the filter is geting gas,make sure the gastank cap is the right cap always keep it tight. crawl under the tank and listen if it works,Then get down get uander tank and listen. Then do what the other post said hit carefully with rubber mallet. I won't rule out the starter or sol. You can also jump the starter and sol.

S

steamclean

I was driving by a Chevy dealer and stopped, they looked at it and said it was the Coil, Cap and Rotor, they replace them and killed me on labor.
Drove home and it died at a light, luckily started up and I got home. Now it is at my buddies body shop and they are dropping the tank and putting in a fuel pump. Hopefully this works.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
20 year old vans do odd things. The shop called and more or less told me my engine is toast in my 11 year old GMC van

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom