Velo air mover

Name
Nate W.
I remember reading Bill saying that's nothing new to the market when Prochem came out with there's... Now it's being produced... Bandwagon or market share?

:stir:

prodrying

The good and bad as I see it. The good is that you can take it apart easily to clean the impeller. We clean our equipment a lot and so this is a neat feature, but not necessary because my water hose does just fine now. The bad is that in their ad it says it takes 6 units to get 5400 cfm of airflow. When I am drying a structure with high temperature LGR's I want an air mover that has tons of air flow for the amp draw. There are many styles of axial air movers that will push over 3200 cfm per unit while using around 2.5 amps. I only have to have 2 axials (6400 cfm at 5 amps) to produce more air flow than 6 (5400 cfm at 11.9 amps) of these air movers. I am sure there is a place for this air mover and the prochem one but just not in my trucks.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree Kevin I too would rather have more axials, this style seems to be sold more for it's ability to stack. :oldrolleyes:

Not being a storm chaser the need to stack doesn't supersede the original purpose of drying. If we ever purchase that style it would be but a handful for crawl space work and ceiling voids.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Well your missing the boat Chavez. And as to CFM's do not believe a anyone. I learned a lot about what CFM machines are a actually putting out instead of what they would be capable of. Dri-Eaz is giving real numbers on that unit from what I can tell but everyone all told the same 2200 CFM lie for so long it was just accepted.

as for the style of the Velo it makes so much sense it blows me Way that anyone would want anything else. it is the only style people have been buying from me (in quantity) for the last 2 years. Just add up the(real) numbers and you will see it makes perfect sense not o my return on investment but also less fatigue and bitching from your employees. So no matter which you choose it really should be your number one airmover.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I've shown my techs and they are the ones that see them as limited use, not every day use. Maybe someday we will see a need but at this point we will miss the boat and buy axial's instead.

prodrying

John I guess we will have to disagree here. These units make absolutely no sense to me from a restoration point of view. If it takes 6 of them to produce 5400 cfm and those 6 air movers use 11.9 amps. Then there are many more choices out there that can produce enormously more cfm and use only slightly more amps per unit. I don't know about you but I still go out on 90% of all the water restoration jobs that my company receives, which is over 200 a year. To do my job properly the most cfm with a low amp draw is real important. Low cfm and low amp draw equals longer dry times and frustrated customers and insurance companies. When buying equipment the last things you should consider are things like stackability, ease of carrying, pretty molded plastic, easy to take apart and clean, etc. While these things are nice, they don't dry a building. If you are buying equipment because you can carry it easily, or it is stackable then you probably shouldn't be drying buildings. Just my 2 cents. It's a good debate though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desk Jockey

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
When I saw them the only thing I thought was "could use for stairs" in carpet drying, not really for flood work. I wouldn't replace them w/ my Force 9's and or Focuses that's for sure.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Everything isn't as it seems...no one is taking longer to dry. A balanced system is the most important part of drying and a properly balanced system will dry faster then just putting a bunch of big blowers in a room...as for the CFM your thinking your getting again what someone says their airmover is doing and what it would be capable of are two way different things.

lastly before making such a statement as"they don't dry a building" you should as actually use them because you are 100% Wrong.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
We get paid to dry walls we dry the carpet for free. Your welcome to believe whatever and use whatever you want but before sticking your fingers in your ears and screaming LA LA LA LA...go see your distributor and take 3-6 of these (prochem or Dri-Eaz) out for a test run. If they didn't work no way would we have sold over 300 of them the things are NOT cheap..

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Come on John just because people buy them doesnt mean they work.

Lots of ways to skin a cat, we dry everything and we dry it all fast.... and without those wierd looking machine. I don't disagee that they work, I just don't foresee purchasing any.

Bill Bruders

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Bruders
Well Richard never say never....... We will be sharing a lot of game changing info around the VELO over the next few months. I felt the same way when we first checked out the prochem unit. It really didn't go beyond placing a motorized impeller in a housing and calling it good. The size was nice and the selling point, as a matter of fact one of our largest international accounts wanted us to produce a unit for them. So we set to work as an engineering team to evaluate the optimum housing design to get the best air distribution across the snout combined with velocity that promotes rapid evaporation.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Come on John just because people buy them doesnt mean they work

LOL now that was about the silliest thing I have ever heard. I am sure Bill wouldn't have invested 100's of thousand of dollars because they don't work but people will buy them anyway. Bill is way to proud a man to allow something like that to happen at Dri-Eaz. If it didn't work they wouldn't be selling them and putting their reputation on the line. And as for Prochem's the companies that buy them from me they by them 20-30 at a time and have regulated their snail and axials to back up because they WORK and allow them to put the proper amount of equipment airmovers,dehues,heat and airscrubbers to get the job done and done right and on time. Proof is in the pudding. Ill make a bet with you. Buy 6 of these either brand put them on the next several jobs. If you and your guys don't love them and if the job takes Any longer and if your not able to put the right amount of equipment on the job without having to run auxiliary power and you don't make more money per job then send them all back pay absolutely zero (you'll still make money for the jobs you used them on) and ill give you $100. That's how much I'm sure I'm right so...how confident are you in your opinion? Again doesn't matter which ones...your gonna put your big girl panties on and take my bet? :stir::rockon:

prodrying

John I totally agree that we get paid to dry walls and we dry the carpet for free. If you missed my article in ICS online here's the link. http://www.icsmag.com/articles/91895-drying-carpet-in-place-why-arent-you-doing-it Admittedly it is more about dehumidifiers but the principle holds true. Just like I am not going to use standard refrigerants on drying jobs, I am not going to use smaller fans either. I am sure they blow air and will dry things, but I go back to the cfm thing and yes I understand not all manufacturers are calculating it the same. If I just had to have a Dri-Eaz fan I would choose the Jet over the velo. In my opinion, Dri-Eaz did a good job with the Jet. I don't like the legs sticking out of it but the unit can really dry some walls and floors.

Also just because people buy stuff doesn't mean it works, is not a silly statement. I understand what Richard is talking about. Go compare a Rover to an extreme extractor, or a 1200 to any other dehu on the market, or an ACE air mover to anything. These units don't work as well as most all their competition but they still sell plenty.

Reactions: Mikey P

FredC

Village Idiot
I certainly don't want to piss Bruders off...but I have to say...I can't really see the advantage...............

but I can also throw 10-12 snails on a dolly...and design shelves on the truck to efficiently store them in large quantities....stacked

you don't need different fans...you need a different f'n dolly.........

Last edited:
Reactions: prodrying

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Well Richard never say never....... We will be sharing a lot of game changing info around the VELO over the next few months. I felt the same way when we first checked out the prochem unit. It really didn't go beyond placing a motorized impeller in a housing and calling it good. The size was nice and the selling point, as a matter of fact one of our largest international accounts wanted us to produce a unit for them. So we set to work as an engineering team to evaluate the optimum housing design to get the best air distribution across the snout combined with velocity that promotes rapid evaporation.
I won't say never but certainly not right now. I understand when franchises say they want something light weight, easy to carry and easy to stack and are willing to commit to large numbers I'd build them too. However as a restorer I don't have those same concerns, I prefer performance over easy to carry and stack.

I'm looking forward to your findings and possible paradigm shift.

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
I participated in the webinar that discussed the Velo last week. The unit that is currently available is a single speed unit. In September they will have a 3-speed unit hitting the market. The specs on these air movers are impressive. 885 CFM, 1.65 inches of static pressure, 1.9 amps and daisy chainable. It started to make me wonder why we would want to buy a "snail" air mover.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
885 CFM, 1.65 inches of static pressure, 1.9 amps and daisy chainable. It started to make me wonder why we would want to buy a "snail" air mover.

885 cfm? :errf:
Sahara HD, a snail has 3500 CFM 2.75 inches of static pressure, if are drying built in's and cabinets those units don't have any turbo ducts or mini turbo ducts to concentrate the airflow into those cavities.

Even a has Jet CVX pushes 3100 cfm 3.5 times a Velo :eekk:

I must be missing something? Why do we want units that move less CFM? Won't it just take more units to dry the same area? Won't that just drive up the cost of restorative drying and push insurance companies towards more replacement?

I'd rather have more cfm than less??? :confused:

John Olson

Name
John Olson
real numbers may be less then advertised... :) I love the Jet best airmover for drying hallways EVER but HUGE! Sahara HD is a power Hog how are you going to dry the other 3 Walls? No one is saying these airmovers replace everything put they will absolutely replace your snail airmovers. You can sit on the sideline with your fingers in your ears stomping your feet all you want, it wont change facts. Funny how you didn't take me up on my bet. You had nothing to lose and everything to gain. So unless your willing to take my original bet stop trying to disprove these without any actual knowledge :)

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You're going to need more of them right, and it's going to cost more to do the same that now does with a Jet or a Force 9.

The HD is just used for instances where you need the static pressure ability. No we would never dry using them for something as easy as wall drying.

I'll get kicked to the sidelines if I double the cost of drying the same building or residence I did last year. Just because I have new air movers that passively move air and require me to use two or three times as many...... but stack nicely! :eekk:

I don't get it. ?????

I hope all my competition buys them and we will see who is on the sidelines!

They better FEAR THESE because we will do it better, faster and cheaper! :icon_twisted:

2013-08-23_12-01-33_830_zpsec730e01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom