Vortex Owners: Have You Experienced This?

I have a Vortex that I have been working with over the phone that will be running fine and then all of a sudden start bogging down.

The things that I have done so far is relieve the vacuum from 17 – 15 inches of mercury, where all Vortexes should be set. I have replaced the belts and confirmed they are snug. I’m more than sure we do not have a blower issue like bearings going out, because the unit will all of a sudden start running fine.

My question to you guys is about the governor on the Vortex. Is it vacuum actuated or electronically actuated? Could you please be specific. I believe what is happening is that the governor is disengaging sporadically and the engine is slowing down.

Bob Foster

The easiest four steps to fix a Vortex

ONE

chicken_coup01.jpg

TWO

chicken_coup02.jpg

THREE

chicken_coup08a.jpg

FOUR

chicken_coup21.jpg

Mikey P said:
Did the idiot try cleaning out his vac relief valve?
Yeah Mike. We did that. One thing about this guy. He’s an extremely goofy boy. I really feel sorry for him. He can’t help it. We have to have goofy people, Mike, because if we didn’t have any we would have to take the word goofy out of the dictionary.

Mikey P

Administrator
Except for me, I would say most Vortex owners fall into the "Goofy, if not somewhat mentally challenged" category.

Does the owner post on this forum?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
first place I would look....
IMG_3989.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg

IMG_3987.jpg

second place I would look....

IMG_4835.jpg

IMG_4834.jpg

IMG_4831.jpg

and in between both of them I would check the screens on the PTO solenoid...all that tranny work that you have had done I am willing to bet that metal shavings may have the screens clogged....

Bob Foster

Jim Martin said:
and in between both of them I would check the screens on the PTO solenoid...all that tranny work that you have had done I am willing to bet that metal shavings may have the screens clogged....

Bob Foster said:
I think it could be the pump or something in the pump screen.

Bob Foster

Hey Surdi! You reading this stuff?

Why anyone in their right mind would buy a V/AT is lost to me..........

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I had to look up who John Coffee was.........then I had to look and see who was using the screen name. I hate when you guys change names.
:shock:

:mrgreen:

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
its prob. the accuator by the throttle linkage under the cab. If he has a silver looking part thinner than the size of a soda can but as long with a threaded shaft on the end, then look there. what Glad from Areo told me is that they had a prob with the accuator heating up and loosing risistance and slowing down after a while. in the winter less likely. I had the same prob. just do not put the speed switch in the 1st or 2nd speed just on engage so the machine will turn on. Then use the pto throtle knob on the dash by the parking brake to set speed. you willl get use to the sound and be able to set the rpm after a few times but i always have two men working so one gives the goahead by looking into the side mirrors while the other adjust rpm from inside cab. i could install an rpm gauge inside the truck but i can deal with it the way it is. i know the truck has its problems but thier good trucks. i bought mine used and have made many times over what i paud for it and do not have any regrets. it a moving billboard. and i can clean several hundered feet from the truck no prob. good luck with it. Pm Jim Martin he is a vortex guru.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Ford Fairlane said:
I had to look up who John Coffee was.........then I had to look and see who was using the screen name. I hate when you guys change names.
:shock:

:mrgreen:
the difference being....
i choose old dED guys....
and Richard picks ....
the young gay ones..........LOL!

Bryan P

I am very curious as to why you think my Tuthill TI850 blower (07 Vortex) should be set to 15" Hg, as opposed to 17" Hg of mercury? I have been using it for years at 17" Hg. and it works great! After all, I bought this Beast to suck rugs....and not leave them to wet.
In your opinion....Is 17" Hg to much of a strain for this blower?
The operations manual does state that 17" Hg is "the maximum operating limits".

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Bryan P said:
I am very curious as to why you think my Tuthill TI850 blower (07 Vortex) should be set to 15" Hg, as opposed to 17" Hg of mercury? I have been using it for years at 17" Hg. and it works great! After all, I bought this Beast to suck rugs....and not leave them to wet.
In your opinion....Is 17" Hg to much of a strain for this blower?
The operations manual does state that 17" Hg is "the maximum operating limits".

you are over working the blower at 17 and not really gaining anymore from it then dropping it down and taking some of the pressure off of the components...just because it says you can max it at 17 does not mean that is the best place to set it....

C

cucu

Why not just take everything out, quit the rug sucking and use it as a moving van migets

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
e8936e5c.jpg

Max on the ti850 is stated 17" and I don't believe he is over working this blower as it is rated for the 17" and I believe that is conservative. I run my 5009s all day at 16 with no problems as of yet, and they are rated for only 15".

Is this the truck in question les?

Also, this question was asked before, how does it drive?

While driving has it ever de-rated/ gone into limp mode while driving or are all symptoms only while pro is engaged?

If not what is year model of v.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Mikey P said:
Jim

assuming that black crud is carbon on the relief valve. where the hell is it coming from?

when the thing opens...( and it does more then you think ) it is sucking all the dirt and crap out of the air that is floating around in the back of the truck....then we are spraying WD40 down in it to keep it free and it just builds up to where over time it starts sticking really bad...

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Max on the ti850 is stated 17" and I don't believe he is over working this blower as it is rated for the 17" and I believe that is conservative. I run my 5009s all day at 16 with no problems as of yet, and they are rated for only 15".

Correct..but what I am saying is..that at 15 he is going to achieve pretty much the same thing....so why over work the blower......just because you can...does not mean that you should.....

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
DOES IT SOUND LIKE THIS:

r]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b25k7BMd1P0r]

IF SO,

IT'S A BAD PTO.

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
I know these trucks can sometimes be a pain, but i am happy to have mine lol

P.S. i hope i will feel the same way later on down the road.

Thanksl again Jim your are always of great help with the V

bensurdi

Name
Benjamin Surdi
Sounds like it might be an electrical problem. We had a wire up near the passenger side windshield that had came loose. It would make the machine bog down and even throttle all the way down by itself. We crimped the wire and the problem was solved. I'm definitely not a mechanic though so I'll have to stop before I make myself look stupid ;)

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
FYI- AJ, Call him Vlad next time and maybe he won't be rolling his eyes while he is talking to you. And I'm not even a V owner

Billy

Name
BH
Now I know mine isn't a V but I have dealt with this type of issue.

So far it has always been caused by the rheostat which is the speed rpm control for my AT.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom