Vulcan Heat exchanger

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
My 2002 white magic pro 1200 vulcan heat exchanger is done. Was wondering if any one has one they would like to sell. Sapphire will fit but expensive. PM me if you have one.

Last edited:
Name
Ralph Pastorelli
I have a 04 W.M. with Vulcan heater just sitting in a 2000 chevy with bad motor tucked away in the corner of the shop. I was going to removed the machine and sell it but just have not had the time. Needs a drive shaft rebuild make decent offer and drive to Utica NY and it's yours the whole thing..

Name
Marcus
You should try a kero heater... For 1500$
It will be a big improvement over any heat exchangers...constant heat
Cap

Reactions: mirf

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
You should try a kero heater... For 1500$
It will be a big improvement over any heat exchangers...constant heat
Cap
Plus $1500/yr in extra fuel cost plus unpaid time to fill kero tank fifty times a year. Why not put a hot pin in your eye, it would hurt less.

Name
Marcus
This is the way I look at it..the kero heat will double your cleaning capacity...
Especially on commercial tile and gum....
I lower my heat and run with trigger down on the zipper....
I use 1/4-1/2 gallon of kero per hour but finish the job 25 percent faster......
3 hour job -1 gallon of kero-5$......saves 1 hour on truckmount@2 gallons per hour-6$ it all evens out
I figure less labor without triggering....less wear on your truckmount....
I get kero 50 gallon drum delivered to my door and fill up at my house....
Saves your back and truckmount as you will clean carpets faster and dryer...
Customers are happier......
Manufacturers don't use them anymore because heat exchangers are cheaper...in my opinion
I believe Original truckmounts in the 60's and 70's were all kero heat.
Cap

Name
Marcus
Either way...hx costs maybe 1000$ plus 300-400$ install...same $$$
Hx won't hold heat over 30 seconds straight.....with trigger pulled down...
How do you clean tile, gum, resturants, zipper, rx 20 and dirty rentals
And how can you get over 6-8 flow...
These hx manufacturers claim 200-250 degrees heat but the ones I talked to only use 4-6 flow
That's half the water and half the cleaning as 10-12 flow
These pto machines are top of the line and top of the $$$$.....you pay 50 -70 k for the machine
100$ a month for top of the line heat is minimal.....
If it saves 10-20 percent off the hours of your truckmount well worth the investment....

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
never looked into Kero. What model do you have.
It's irrelevant Mirf. Captain America needs the kero heat for a specific job that involves gum removal. Most people run into gum removal a few times a year and some HelGel and a Gumgetter will remove the gum for 1/100000 of the cost and hassle of a kero heater and filling it and wondering if your truck will catch fire. If you have a modern day HX that heats to 230 you can skip the stupidity of an additional heater.

Name
Marcus
Everyone has there opinion....but those of us who have kero heat know the advanages....
I have used hx and know the difference.....hx are maybe 10-20 percent the heat of kero heaters....
But you don't see the difference until you increase your water flow and hold the trigger down on a continual cleaning basis such as returants and rental, tile......

With the kero heat I have doubled my water flow and therefore double the cleaning capacity...
I use. The NORTHERN tool heater-1500$

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
My old heat exchanger (Vulcan) does not work now. Trying to find one used. No luck so far. New one is about $1650 - $1800 for the part alone.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
My old heat exchanger (Vulcan) does not work now. Trying to find one used. No luck so far. New one is about $1650 - $1800 for the part alone.
Just pay the ticket. It's a one time cost that will last 10 years ( my Pro1200 Vulcan HX is still working perfect after 11 years and 10K hours). I had to replace the radiator HX this summer and it cost $1000. Oh well, after 11 years that amortizes out to what? $90/yr? Between the radiator HX and the Vulcan HX, you need a fuel fired heater like you need, well anything you don't need.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
for those of you that DO use kero or diesel fired.....
go to someone that won't lie to you.........and
ask them if they can SMELL it on you.........nuff sED!

Name
Marcus
That's too high I absolutely did not know that heat exchangers cost as much as as kero heaters??
I haven't had hx in 10 years??
Look on line or go down to noerthern tools..should be one within an hour or so from you...
Also call this guy Kleanline heaters 832/398-3989.. Hard to get a hold of...in NY.....knows his heaters....
I went through 2 different hx spent 1000$ and a lot of down time ...talked to many manufacturers before I finally started to look at kero heaters...I have had 3 for 10 years.....no major breakdowns....
People were trying to scare me into buying hx because that's all they were selling.....don't buy
Into these scare tactics...kero is perfectly safe...people use it in homes camping...for lamps.....slow burning
Just because hx are the industry standard doesn't mean they are the best heat....
In the beginning of truckmounts 1970's...kero heaters wer the industry standard

Name
Marcus
I'm not trying to slam any carpet cleaner and there equipment.....we just bought what the manu. Sold us...
I believe the reason 99 percent or more truckmounts are hx is because....
1. Cheaper..doesn't cost over 300.-400..$ to make these
2. Less space
3. Freaked out about fire.....
I did hear of one van caching fire...I believe it was propane??...kero is safer..
I have also heard of a few hx overheating and exploding shooting shrapnel everywhere.....
So hx aren't 100 percent safe either.....if your water outlet doesn't work properly.!!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
How did you go through Heat Exchangers? We've run HE on 8-tms since the 90's and never replaced a HE.

Preheater that froze while doing WDR work but never an HE

Buy for the market you clean in. We don't clean pits, resturants or apartments so the has been a need for extreme heat. If there were I can see more value in more heat.

Name
Marcus
Sole owner
Been in business 2 times....1980, s
And started back in in 2001..... Full time.....now half time..teach school other half
His didn't fall apart just didn't put out enough heat exactly like the specs show.....
I'm not knocking carpet cleaners just telling facts as I see it in the industry...
However I believe there is a trend the last few years back to kero heateing...

Cap

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Really? I hadn't heard about the kero movement. Is there more than the Diablo being sold? I always saw it as old skool technology but it sounds like it works for you.

Name
Marcus
Steambrite in San Antonio
Prochem makes one now
El diablo
Steamway.....
Amtex and naamco offer propane in houston......
Not a huge group but it is old school...they are made for pressure washers not carpet cleaners...thus the extra
Heat and pressure strength in the lines.....

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Prochem started with them decades ago. I didn't know they still offered the 150. Steamway? I thought they went out of business several years ago. Are they back in business?

Propane is still widely offered, I was really speaking about kero but yea they are not HE

Name
Marcus
I'm not trying to say kero is going to take over for truckmounts ......
Just saying it's better heat......
Why manufacturers don't make them now is open to discussion??
I would be willing to listen to why a hx sales for 1800$ when it costs,around 300$ to make
We have a hard job with a lot of expenses we should get what we pay for.......

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It does seem pricy but as I said we have NOT replaced one on our Prochem's Butler or Hydramaster units in the the more than two decades of use.

Even if we had too, while a bite in the rear, you have to consider how much money that machine makes you year in & out for such a small investment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Name
Lee Stockwell
Blower HX units are basically truck heater cores, usually only failing when allowed to freeze and break or trash fills the fins via unfiltered trash from the waste tank being blown through them. These are always on low pressure ~30-40psi parts of the system.

Engine exhaust HX units are usually stainless steel tubing or shell and tube assemblies. Pretty bulletproof unless FROZEN. These can usually handle over 2000 psi.

Liquid cooled engine coolant HX units are usually heavy copper tubing compressed into a cast iron housing(ie Helicoil). These are rated to 700 psi, but I've personally run them to 1100 psi without a problem. FREEZING will kill them too.

So- Don't let your machine freeze!

Name
Marcus
Kero heaters are rated at 4000-5000 psi......
With all that vacuum on the pto you guys could crank up the water flow to around 2 GPm
Or 16-18 flow...use the heater and out clean anyone in the business......

Name
Lee Stockwell
I've seen dozens of burned carpet cleaning vans, seldom was one HX.

I've also worked with Kero for a long time. Brutal impressive heat, until an igniter fails. Poof like a light bulb with no warning. Not fun at 4am even if you learned to carry a spare like I did. Finishing a nasty with cold water sux.

The other most common failure was when a flow switch or thermostat failed to turn OFF the burner. Once at MSU that happened. Pegged the temperature to 305 F. (all the gauge could show). Sent one of the boys running out to the truck to shut her down, while I stood with the trigger wide open in a lobby filled with thick steam.

I aged 10 years in 10 minutes that day, but I'm still alarmed when an excited newbie uses Kero. A pressure washer unit needs to modify the plumbing to trickle water past the thermostat even when untriggered.

Steam Way worked out many of the bugs, like using smaller fuel nozzles to lower btu output and adding redundant shutoff features. Not sure if El Diablo has (the diablo is in the details).

I wouldn't trust that the smaller companies make insurable units.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
It did not freeze as it happened in the fall. I bypassed the vulcan and it is running fine, just not enough heat.

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Lee Stockwell
It did not freeze as it happened in the fall. I bypassed the vulcan and it is running fine, just not enough heat.
Pull that hx core out. It will look like a brick, impacted with linty trash. Water still flows thru it, but no air, and no heat.
I've seen lots of them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom