Wand/TM Physics & Such...

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
This is boring as shit, but it's hard to get reliable info., so here's my question:

I've heard suction/vacuum power is the difference between the vacuum reading with just the wand attached and the wand completely restricted.

My new 12/1.5" shows 9" vacuum with the wand just attached with the slots completely open.

My older 14/2" shows 6" vacuum under the same circumstance.

Both go to 14" when completely restricted.

I'm just trying to figure out why my new wand isn't pulling as much water. I have tried 2" hose all the way to the wand and the tapered 2"-1.5" whip.

The new 12" definitely makes more noise X 3 and it pulls way harder on the carpet, but I need at least one, if not two more dry passes to equal my 2" dry times.

I also cut channels into the glide on my new wand... no real difference.

I have the newer devastator glide with the four huge slots.

I know, I'm an idiot, so you can leave that part out, Marty, Chavez or whoever you are...

FredC

Village Idiot
but it has a swivel

I thought people bought 1.5" wands because it was easier knowing that there is less available lift. The "work" is being done getting the same amount of air through the smaller hole. Sure the air is traveling faster through the wand tube and there is more noise but.........

It may be a really good 1.5" wand but it isn't a 2 inch....

/in before all the venturi effect, wand interface, laminar flow, etc babble

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
A 2 inch wand with 2 inch hose will move more air than a 1.5 inch wand. If it moves more air, it makes sense that it moves more water as well. I switch between 2 inch and 1.5 inch wands all of the time but although I feel that the 2 inch leaves carpets drier, in real life I don't notice much of a difference. The main reason to use a 1.5 inch wand is ease of use especially in tight areas and easier on the back and shoulders for us old guys.

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
I never really minded my 2” wand, maybe someday I will. I literally wanted the best performing wand for my smaller TM’s.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I know, I'm an idiot, so you can leave that part out, Marty, Chavez or whoever you are...

You’re just discovering that every board de jour wooptydoo item that glitters ain’t gold

BUTT.....the pack following trendy de jour crowd will parrot in unison that it is ..whether they have a clue or not
And 91.2889% of them don’t

Been that way fo-evah

Side note related to human nature
Spend $1400-1800 on a wand , and it’s unlikely you’ll hear much bad about it from the owners ....no one wants to admit it wasn’t worth “all that” ....window notwithstanding

..L.T.A.

steve_64

You’re just discovering that every board de jour wooptydoo item that glitters ain’t gold

BUTT.....the pack following trendy de jour crowd will parrot in unison that it is ..whether they have a clue or not
And 91.2889% of them don’t

Been that way fo-evah

Side note related to human nature
Spend $1400-1800 on a wand , and it’s unlikely you’ll hear much bad about it from the owners ....no one wants to admit it wasn’t worth “all that” ....window notwithstanding

..L.T.A.
How else can they sell it used for another ungodly amount.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
But those that have spoken up all say it’s HARDER to run
Not easier

..L.T.A.
I don't have a devastator yet but I have a glided aw29 and a glided mach 12. There is no comparison between the 2. The mach 12 really bites down on the carpet making it harder to move than the aw29. You develop different techniques in moving the wand and the fact that it is much lighter, makes it easier to use. All wands have a learning curve. The mach 12 leaves the carpet obviously drier than the aw29. I am sure the devastator will be better than the mach 12.

Mikey P

Administrator
easier for me on on three of my trucks.

If you want stellar dry times, move to Northern Nevada.

Tom has never said that the 12 out dries the 14

But it does clean better....Extremely even due to perfect jet spacing.

Lets see what Marty thinks

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
Yeah, I live in God’s country where humidity rules. I’ve had the 12” for over a month now and can say without question it’s leaving the carpet less dry. It’s does clean great, but I can’t have wet carpet for 7-10 hours when I was getting 4-6 hours easy with a 2”.

That said, I can t go back to a shitty quality wand, so maybe Mr. Devastator will let me exchange for the 14”.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
Dayton Ohio is god's country?

You've never left the state I take it.
Not at all... I was being stupid. However, it’s all relative. I have 6 acres, a woods, pond and creek and paid 220k. I see no one.

I lived in Southern California (Palos Verdes) for a few years and wanted to hang myself.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Not at all... I was being stupid. However, it’s all relative. I have 6 acres, a woods, pond and creek and paid 220k. I see no one.

I lived in Southern California (Palos Verdes) for a few years and wanted to hang myself.

Having spent a lot of time in Ohio....Mikey don't judge Ohio by its urban or megafarms; that would be like judging Nevada by Las Vegas.

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
Mikey is a typical west coast snob. The west coast is great until you factor in:

Cost
Earthquakes
Fires
Mudslides
Cost
Taxes
Earthquakes
Cost

I’ll take some humidity and some rednecks.

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
Southern Ohio. 2 hours from me. 27E28379-D50E-4182-994E-0560A306C8C7.jpeg

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Many beautiful places all around the country and the world.

I wonder if you slowed your movements a little with the Dev, if you'll get much better drying time.

It seems like you're locking onto the carpet, which does not allow as good airflow. And I wonder if the blower of your machine does not have the extra power to overcome it.

I haven't seen the new Dev glide with the for large slots. Any picture anywhere?

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
A lot depends on the type of carpet. Today I did a job with 3 types of carpet. Upstairs is a polypropylene Berber style. The mach 12 was perfect on it, you could feel it wanting to lock down but not quite doing it. Down stairs was a nylon cut pile and again the wand felt perfectly balanced. The last bit was level loop installed over pad. You would feel that the wand would lock down immediately but no, I had to spend extra time doing dry passes. You could barely feel the vacuum. It's because of the rate of airflow through the cheap pad and carpet. Pet proof carpets and rubber/urethane carpets are going to lock down more quickly than standard cut pile carpets. I would always want to have more suction than less. If the devastator gives me that, I'm all for it. I will learn how to deal with potential lock down. Side by side, a 2 inch will always give you better water removal but I doubt if your drying time comparison is accurate. It would interesting to see a lab test using both sizes of wand and measuring both water removal and drying time until completely dry, tested with moisture testing equipment.

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
With the 12”, same parameters, same room, my hand was visibly wet. On the 14” side, not.

Maybe it’s the glide, or me, or both.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom