WAND ????

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I see that wands are constantly being reinvented to no end. To me it seems that the reason for this is to prevent the water from entering the forbidin zone (backing and under padding) and to help the vacuum system pull out the water for better dry times.
To me an angled jet that would create a u-turn into the vacuum channel is the best way to help prevent the water from entering the forbidden zone.
So the ???? i have is why their is not a wand on the market that is designd like the fully enclosed DM-2 Hi Flow Drimaster upholstery tool from Hydramaster.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I speak for nearly everybody here Mardie - your trivial opinion is useless, ignorant and ill informed. Nobody gives a shit what you think about wands. In fact, nobody really gives a shit what you think - period.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I speak for nearly everybody here Mardie - your trivial opinion is useless, ignorant and ill informed. Nobody gives a shit what you think about wands. In fact, nobody really gives a shit what you think - period.

Willy this is a ? i have had on my mind for over 2 years now. I guess if i was a steam cleaner it would be ok for me to ask these questions. Get over it.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I see that wands are constantly being reinvented to no end. To me it seems that the reason for this is to prevent the water from entering the forbidin zone (backing and under padding) and to help the vacuum system pull out the water for better dry times.
To me an angled jet that would create a u-turn into the vacuum channel is the best way to help prevent the water from entering the forbidden zone.
So the ???? i have is why their is not a wand on the market that is designd like the fully enclosed DM-2 Hi Flow Drimaster upholstery tool from Hydramaster.
\

cause they don't clean soiled carpet very well, Mardie
there are tools like the Drimaster upl tool..the rotary Drimaster is one

you need the penetration for a good flush/rinse extract.
that's why too much angle on jets doesn't work

..L.T.A.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
There are several wands with good shear angle on the jets and some make aftermarket kits to give better angle, and those wands are very effective. And wands are made with the dri-master technology, however the horizontal water pattern does nothing for cleaning beyond the surface of the carpet. Great for upholstery, not for carpet. What we don't want is old school jets that point straight down. They can give the appearance of cleaning better, but in actuality they simply force the dirt to the bottom of the fiber where the vacuum of the wand has a harder time extracting it, however it is (temporarily) hidden, but comes back later.....kinda like scrub and run cleaning.

Take care,
Lisa

Reactions: Mardie

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Mardie,
There are plenty of good wands.
Some people like them angled just so that they almost hit the green glide (what they call 'shearing'), and some like them to be less angled (more impact, deeper rinsing).
Both will work fine with the right technique- Not too many wet passes without picking the moisture + a powerful vacuum.

With the right technique, and chemistry, over wetting is not an issue.

Last edited:

John G

You so sound like an angry lil man Willy... who pissed in your Cheerios?

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
This page from his web site might better explain the reaction:

http://www.naturalcleaningsystems.ca/cleanfacts.htm

Larry

As stated on the top of that chart "The risks and benefeits" Although i am sure their are many good steam cleaners that avoid all of the problems listed in that chart BUT it cannot go without saying that these problems are common place in the steam cleaning industry. As with most industries their is only a thin layer of cream at the top.
larry without sounding like a broken record i have stated several times starting on my first post here almost a year ago that i am not method minded and that i would eventually like to own all the major cleaning methods including HWE. I have also stated many times that when it comes to equipment i am about as loyal as a dog in heat.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
This page from his web site might better explain the reaction:

http://www.naturalcleaningsystems.ca/cleanfacts.htm

Larry

Of course Mardie is there every time a potential customer clicks on that page of his and explain the same thing, how it is not all steam cleaners but most... Right Mardie? :icon_rolleyes:

Don't you think that your info that is right there for your readers of your site makes them believe maybe a certain way and it is based on untrue facts?

As far as wands go, I like the performance of the Greenhorn! No over wetting, but plenty of flushing by way of just enough penetration from the angled jets. I have the 14 inch 5 jet wand.

Willy P

Name
Willy P

Read the posts - most agree with me.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
To me it seems that the reason for this is to prevent the water from entering the forbidin zone (backing and under padding)

It's not a bad question, Mardie.

Anyone doing this(hwe) for more that a week should understand, keying the wand in the exact same spot for minutes is not a great idea.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Mardie
You are lumping far to many cleaners together when you state "the steam cleaning industry".

There are hundreds of differences in that group, are they using Hand held spot cleaning machines? Low pressure walk behinds? Low pressure tag alongs? High flow machines like the Steamon Demon or Tsunami?, Portable extractors in the 100 PSI range?, Portables with heat?, Portables with high pressure 250-500psi?, CFR type machnes that recycle?, TM's with moderate heat?, TM's with extreme heat?, cleaned using a conventional wand,? a High flow wand?, a Powerhead like RX-20?, the Sapphire Hoss?, or Roto Vac 360i?, Drag wand? Owner op?, employees cleaning?

JUST TOO MUCH to lump as Steam Cleaners!

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
This is from your site Mardie:

Why Do Most Steam
Cleaners Offer "Free
Deodorizers"?
This is to mask the odors of the wet carpet cleaning. Sometimes referred to as the wet dog smell. The best smell is no smell. A properly cleaned carpet should have no artificial odors after cleaning. You should notice only a freshness in the air. Bullchiiit.

Steam Cleaning
Sanitizes?

Not Possible! In order for heat sanitizing to take place. The following is required. Minimum of 165 F temperature must be maintained for minimum of 15 minutes.
Consequently the hot water used for steam cleaning
can only stimulate the growth of bacteria, mold,
mildew and odor. Also bs...You forget to take into accoun the actual extraction of the system. Not all the water that is being used stay in the carpet.To create such a fear with misinformation is just wrong and perfectly unethical.

What is Steam Cleaning?
(Hot Water Extraction)
The word Steam Cleaning is misleading, only hot water is used. There is no steam and if the temperature of steam was transferred to your carpet, it would be devastating to your carpet such as the destruction of dyes, fibers and glues. Yet some of us with high heat truckmounts can easily say and show that there is steam present. But again- that doesnt mean that it will destruct anything. Maybe because it wont be hitting and soaking the backing for example.

How Does Steam Cleaning Work?
Steam Cleaning relies on large volumes of heated water and vacuum to flush soils from carpet.And agitation, on top of real chemistry (not aircell or whatever you call, foam) In order to deep steam clean a carpet to the base, it must also be soaked to the base in order to attain this deep clean flushing action. Deep Steam cleaning can cause many problems with your carpet.

Fast Dry Steam Cleaning?
Claims made by the Steam Cleaning Industry is that a Super Powerful Truck Mount Vacuum will dry carpet super fast. This fast dry Steam Cleaning can only be achieved through a fast skimming of the carpet surface so that the water dose not penetrate and clean deep into the carpet. Vacuum suction can only remove loose available water from Your carpet. Many on the board here can attest to the fact that it is not a fast skimming but a slow rinsing stroke followed up with dry strokes. Which will give a thorough extraction.

You Cannot Judge a Steam Cleaned Carpet while it is wet
All wet carpet looks great. The same way the paint color on your car looks great when it is wet. As the drying process begins you will notice an overall dulling and dead look to your carpet when compared to its wet state.That is a bad example...as the "paint" (which is really a clear coat not the paint) looks better when wet, certain carpets, like olefin can do the same thing. And thats the point- it is not a cleaning issue..it is scratching. Where the water as an optical agent covers up the scratching, giving an overall shiny look. When dry, it turns gray/dull because it is damaged and not because its not cleaned well. Wicking back of soils that has been
flushed into your carpet are very common with Steam Cleaning.

Is Steam Cleaning Green?
Environmentally friendly green cleaning goes far beyond a particular product used to clean carpet. Green cleaning is all about the carbon foot print and the effects it leaves behind in the environment. Truck Mount steam cleaners have the larges negative carbon foot print in the carpet cleaning industry. The manufacturing , operation and maintenance of a high powered gasoline engine, vacuum pump, water heater system, rubber hoses, tanks etc. and a heavy weight cargo van for transport all leaves a huge carbon foot print behind.Yes.. just as much as your equipment. Not to mention all the carbon footprint of so many powerplants that puff into the air to bring you the electricity for your equipment.How much wiring and construction goes into building power lines all the way to the outlet where you plug in your vonschrader? Is it really that much cleaner? Large volumes of fresh water are also consumed.
"Man will always justify an easier and faster way to get the job done, regardless of the results or consequences."

How will you backpaddle and change your beliefs if and when you change your cleaning method? You said it: you are not faithful to your method. Which makes me think: sooner or later you will be a good steam cleaner with a truckmount.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You should you are constantly attacking the HWE method, can't you see that? Just get over it "One Trick Pony", every methods has it's place and no methods is the best choice for all situations. Yes even dry foam has it's place, I rag on it only to get to you. I'm smart enough to know it can come in handy in the right setting.

The day you realize what HWE can do for you, is the day you become a much better cleaner.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Wondering if you are man enough to take the HWE attacks off your website? It might earn you a lot more respect here.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
This is from your site Mardie:

Why Do Most Steam
Cleaners Offer "Free
Deodorizers"?
This is to mask the odors of the wet carpet cleaning. Sometimes referred to as the wet dog smell. The best smell is no smell. A properly cleaned carpet should have no artificial odors after cleaning. You should notice only a freshness in the air. Bullchiiit.

Steam Cleaning
Sanitizes?

Not Possible! In order for heat sanitizing to take place. The following is required. Minimum of 165 F temperature must be maintained for minimum of 15 minutes.
Consequently the hot water used for steam cleaning
can only stimulate the growth of bacteria, mold,
mildew and odor. Also bs...You forget to take into accoun the actual extraction of the system. Not all the water that is being used stay in the carpet.To create such a fear with misinformation is just wrong and perfectly unethical.

What is Steam Cleaning?
(Hot Water Extraction)
The word Steam Cleaning is misleading, only hot water is used. There is no steam and if the temperature of steam was transferred to your carpet, it would be devastating to your carpet such as the destruction of dyes, fibers and glues. Yet some of us with high heat truckmounts can easily say and show that there is steam present. But again- that doesnt mean that it will destruct anything. Maybe because it wont be hitting and soaking the backing for example.

How Does Steam Cleaning Work?
Steam Cleaning relies on large volumes of heated water and vacuum to flush soils from carpet.And agitation, on top of real chemistry (not aircell or whatever you call, foam) In order to deep steam clean a carpet to the base, it must also be soaked to the base in order to attain this deep clean flushing action. Deep Steam cleaning can cause many problems with your carpet.

Fast Dry Steam Cleaning?
Claims made by the Steam Cleaning Industry is that a Super Powerful Truck Mount Vacuum will dry carpet super fast. This fast dry Steam Cleaning can only be achieved through a fast skimming of the carpet surface so that the water dose not penetrate and clean deep into the carpet. Vacuum suction can only remove loose available water from Your carpet. Many on the board here can attest to the fact that it is not a fast skimming but a slow rinsing stroke followed up with dry strokes. Which will give a thorough extraction.

You Cannot Judge a Steam Cleaned Carpet while it is wet
All wet carpet looks great. The same way the paint color on your car looks great when it is wet. As the drying process begins you will notice an overall dulling and dead look to your carpet when compared to its wet state.That is a bad example...as the "paint" (which is really a clear coat not the paint) looks better when wet, certain carpets, like olefin can do the same thing. And thats the point- it is not a cleaning issue..it is scratching. Where the water as an optical agent covers up the scratching, giving an overall shiny look. When dry, it turns gray/dull because it is damaged and not because its not cleaned well. Wicking back of soils that has been
flushed into your carpet are very common with Steam Cleaning.

Is Steam Cleaning Green?
Environmentally friendly green cleaning goes far beyond a particular product used to clean carpet. Green cleaning is all about the carbon foot print and the effects it leaves behind in the environment. Truck Mount steam cleaners have the larges negative carbon foot print in the carpet cleaning industry. The manufacturing , operation and maintenance of a high powered gasoline engine, vacuum pump, water heater system, rubber hoses, tanks etc. and a heavy weight cargo van for transport all leaves a huge carbon foot print behind.Yes.. just as much as your equipment. Not to mention all the carbon footprint of so many powerplants that puff into the air to bring you the electricity for your equipment.How much wiring and construction goes into building power lines all the way to the outlet where you plug in your vonschrader? Is it really that much cleaner? Large volumes of fresh water are also consumed.
"Man will always justify an easier and faster way to get the job done, regardless of the results or consequences."

How will you backpaddle and change your beliefs if and when you change your cleaning method? You said it: you are not faithful to your method. Which makes me think: sooner or later you will be a good steam cleaner with a truckmount.

I see no need to change methods. But For the sake of efficiancy only i have and will continue to stay on the leading edge of carpet cleaning teacnology

If i could not produce superiour results with the way i do things i would have changed a long time ago.

mcatt

Name
Mike
SS makes a wand just like you speak of however the response has been less the optimum. I think on mod to heavily soiled carpet the pile is dirty deep where you need a more thorough flush which the continuous tools don't do.

Reactions: Mardie

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I see no need to change methods. But For the sake of efficiancy only i have and will continue to stay on the leading edge of carpet cleaning teacnology

If i could not produce superiour results with the way i do things i would have changed a long time ago.
No one is asking you to change your methods, just quit putting down the methods you do not employ. If you feel your method is superior then let is speak for itself with out the negative bashing of Steam Cleaning, which I explained can be many things. .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom