Want to start carpet cleaning business

Hello all,

Like the topic says I'm interested in the carpet cleaning business.
I don't have one bit of carpet cleaning experience.
I currently work full time but my hours arent bad at all.
What does it take for one to get started? I've learned some things on here thus far. Spoke to a guy with a carpet cleaning business somewhat nearby. (very nice guy, more than willing to help)
I guess I should try and shadow him for a few days/weeks if I can.
I like seeing the results from cleaning, I'm excited to get started.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Drew

Name
I'm Rick James
Doing ride a longs is great to see whats its all about.. watch you tube videos (some are not worth watching), hang out on the BB to learn the craft.

Read what it takes to be a small business owner. The E Myth is a great book for start ups. Learn all that, write a business and marketing plan.

Buy equipment that IS IN YOUR PRICE range.. Many fail in this business because their eyes are bigger than their pocketbook and go out of business because of overhead costs. I nice used looking van with a used machine is great to start. Learn how to use it and use it well. Create an image for your business, website, business cards and so on. Understand that this is 80% customer service and 20% cleaning.

To make up for the lack of experience do the following:

Invest in taking the SFS, that seems to be the one all end all when it comes to owning a business in this industry.

Understand that some of the numbers and chatter online is BS, so you have to get your waders on.

Money, all you need is money. Can you start with $5,000? Sure. Would you want to? Probably not.
Can you start with $20,000? Sure. Would you want to? I could, and did for about 1/2 that. If I had it to do over again, I'd take it easier on myself and start with more. Spend it on training and marketing too.
Can you start with $50,000? No doubt. With that kind of cash on hand I'd open a strip club before I cleaned carpets. At least I'll have fun.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
DONT!!!

seriously why would you want to??? because its fun to make things pretty???

When i bought out a biz a few years ago and sold my stuff to a buddy of mine (he came to me 1st) I asked him MANY TIMES...WHY THE F DO YOU WANT TO GET INTO THIS??? told him many times its not going to be what you think....

he had a pretty quick start off to...quiet a few people he knew had him clean....

BUT THEN....you mean i gotta go look for this shit?? (he was/is work FT else where so it was a PT thing)

in the end he is trying to get rid of the rig and has sent his custys my way...which is nice, it will add to my portfolio...

but dont kid yourself its a tough go.....i did it because i am a 2nd generation cleaner...didnt know much else...hated school, used it as a crutch "well i got this and this to fall back on" BULLLLLL SHIT there are days now i wished i would have tried something else....

now with that in mind....I MYSELF.....LOVE IT......BUT I hate the marketing and the paper work and the office end of the BULLSHIT.....love the work, and the "toys" love the PR time with the custys.....hate the cold calling, and getting the foot in the door

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You are near Jim Pemberton. As soon as you can get to his place for top notch help.
I second that! The Pemberton's are some the most knowledgeable people we have in the industry. They will show you all the options and steer you straight.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
handdi said:
doug u should be a motivational speaker

hummmm was that a dig or a compliment???

so whats your take on it??? you didnt answer his question....just trolled mine eat yor heart out Werner eat yor heart out Werner eat yor heart out Werner eat yor heart out Werner eat yor heart out Werner

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Ohhh touchy touchy! :lol:

Seriously Doug I think we all have our up's and down's in this business. It is still a great business and while a pain at times, it allows us all a pretty good income and freedom of schedule. hey now

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Lee Stockwell said:
You are near Jim Pemberton. As soon as you can get to his place for top notch help.

I second that suggestion. 5825 Smithfield St, McKeesport PA. 800 342-2297

You should also focus on what you want your business to be. Residential work? Mainstreet offices? Large commercial accounts? Do you want to target customers based on price and go for the big volume? Do custom work for the high end homes? Or somewhere in the middle?

What it comes down to is that is much easier to get someplace if you know where you are going. If you try to be everything to everyone, you spend a lot of time and effort to end up going in circles.

John Buxton

Zlotnick (Unsmoke) is in Pittsburgh. He's pretty knowledgeable too.

In my opinion carpet cleaning is on the way out. New homes have hardwood, laminate and tile. Restoration is where the money is, concentrate on doing water damage. Find a good distributor to help you take some classes, rent the equipment to start.

Don't go out and buy a truckmount, I'd start with a porty and a 175 rotary. I know a guy here that does high end homes with a 175 in his pickup truck for 30 years.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Juice said:
Ohhh touchy touchy! :lol:

Seriously Doug I think we all have our up's and down's in this business. It is still a great business and while a pain at times, it allows us all a pretty good income and freedom of schedule. hey now

ohhh hey i dont doubt that....love the fact of the freedom it affords me....and hate the fact that for me an owner/op....if i aint workin...i aint getting paid...but its my choice as well.....

but you better have a pretty good intestinal fortitude at times to deal with things....

like now.....have a company that is deciding it doesnt need to pay me for some reason no won ton soup for you! no won ton soup for you! no won ton soup for you! no won ton soup for you!

aint got time to be guido on them

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It happens I have a $16,000.00 fire that between the homeowner the insurance comapny and mortage company I have not been paid for work completed 6-months ago.

Had to turn it over to the collection agency. Hate doing that, oh no I don't feel for the homeowner, I don't like sharing my profits with the collection agency. no won ton soup for you!

Thank you all very much for the advice!
Not too many businesses out there where people are willing to help like this one. I spoke to Jim Pemberton a week or so ago, super nice guy and I'm glad he's close by.
As for the business part I think I'm going to focus on apartments and commercial. I have some rentals and have a few friends with a lot of rentals so hopefully can snag some business there.

Thanks again
Drew

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Well if you decide to do it...then by all means read over here....because it wont be sugar coated.....

and good luck....because at times, thats all there is

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
part time or full time?
are you good at sales?
Do people generally like you?
Do you generally like most people?

how much money do you have to spend (without going in debt up to your ass)

why carpet cleaning and not painting, or janitorial or roofing or selling windows or air conditioners ??

..L.T.A.

S

sam miller

When I started I went small got a van and used machine for 11k $400 per month payment at that time phone books was gold.

Pennysaver helped the first year. Did work in the afternoons tell I built it up, If You go to church networking can help.

today I would tell anybody to get training learn how to clean carpet, upholstery take a class or 2 keep your intial investment small if it doesnt work out You wont get killed,

If it does You can grow.

A website is so valuble the internet is a game changer. Google place review site's. Just dont clean anything unless You know how.

Jim P is a great place to learn.

Name
steve snail
drewmckinney414 said:
Thank you all very much for the advice!
Not too many businesses out there where people are willing to help like this one. I spoke to Jim Pemberton a week or so ago, super nice guy and I'm glad he's close by.
As for the business part I think I'm going to focus on apartments and commercial. I have some rentals and have a few friends with a lot of rentals so hopefully can snag some business there.

Thanks again
Drew

Huge mistake!!!!! Get a job cleaning carpets with a company known for higher end residential work. Do "ride a long's" at any and every opportunity. Most OO's that don't have a helper, need someone every once and a while...be that person.

Best,
Steve

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom