Was it King or Appleby who had the take em to dinner strategy??

Mikey P

Administrator
One of them mentioned where they had a stunt where he and the wife takes a potential new hire out to dinner (with their family?) and had a set of questions to ask to find out if he was THE guy..

Anybody recall the details?

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
I read about a CEO of a large company that does. He claimed he did not hire anyone that put salt or pepper of their meal before tasting it.
Showed lack of testing first. To each their own.
I park a truck as far as possible from the shop, walk with them and if they can not keep up they never will.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Actually humans have been using the dinner strategy for about a million years.
Its in our DNA.

Sometimes we outsmart ourselves when we should just use the instincts we are born with.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I've heard of an employer who checked out the prospective person's car, to see if it was clean and in order.

Taking them to dinner seems very natural, not a huge stroke of genius but a good practice.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
There are some seriously stupid things that are given undue respect simply because they are written in books.

The salt and pepper thing being one ...
I like to cook at home and think I am fairly good at it. While not a chef I would like you the taste it before you add to the meal.

When they use your cleaning agents and the label 2 oz per gallon I am sure 4 0z would be better. Measure not here I can tell 4 oz.

J

JS41035

image.jpg
These. I know my handwriting is terrible.Tom was moving fast.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

hogjowl

Idiot™
I like to cook at home and think I am fairly good at it. While not a chef I would like you the taste it before you add to the meal.

When they use your cleaning agents and the label 2 oz per gallon I am sure 4 0z would be better. Measure not here I can tell 4 oz.

I can understand that, but the personality disorder doesn't exist in the salter, but in the narcissism of the cook.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Yeah what kind of an a-hole makes a life changing decision based on something so arbitrary like if you use salt before or after :oldrolleyes:

The funny part (payback actually) is using the "salt test" or "car wash test" as a guide will lead you to eventual disaster.
Why? because those 5% of sociopaths floating around in the world that will destroy your business can read something idiotic like this.

and use salt before... and keep a clean car....

Want to use analytical skills like reviewing job history, hobbies, etc also.
The absolute worst hires will be able to go to dinner and put on a show pretty easily.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
If I were a chef, I would be more upset with a person who tasted my food, decided I hadn't seasoned it right and felt the need to change it than a person who just salted it out of habit....

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
My feeling is first you want to identify what your personal strengths are. I would much rather hear someone give their story over the phone and/or write cover letter "in their own words".
I can pick up on people this way.

The problem face to face is my personal biases always seep in and end up hiring people who I like socially.
They dont always turn out to be good employees, unfortunately.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Marty don't read this:

This quote plays to what was said above about social ability:
“I believe that (1) likeability, (2) optimism, (3) enthusiasm are the three most important traits that we do (or do not) bring to the party, any party.”

Martin Seligman, Learned Optimism

Reactions: Russ T.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom