water in my cat

Aero Tech XT

Supportive Member
Name
Jeremy Wilson
Mike, Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

The brass seal that you have shown is actually exposed to the atmosphere....meaning the corrosion is occurring from the outside, not inside the pump manifold and from a contaminant in the water.

Here is a picture of the water pump.
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

Here is an old manifold we had laying around showing the seal.
photo 3.JPG
so.....what is corroding the exposed brass? I would suspect its from water dripping from the vacuum hose as it gets rolled up....???

Aero Tech XT

Supportive Member
Name
Jeremy Wilson
Or...
The AT is not Last Step injection like I thought and this is the result of the MW 02 rinse I was using..

Yes our chemical injection system is a last step injection. The diaphragm in the chemical pump is rated for 1500 psi so it wont be effected when cleaning tile and grout. We also have the ball valve between the chemical pump and water pump so you can shut off the chem pump when its not needed.

The only way chemical can get into the water pump is if the diaphragm fails. If the diaphragm fails, the flow meter would be showing a chemical draw when your not triggering the wand.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Able 1

Name
Keith
Not exactly. My (probably incomplete) understanding is that cavitation occurs when there is rapid fluctuation in local pressure below the saturated vapor pressure of the water. Temperature is involved because the pressure where cavitation occurs (at a given pressure) goes up as temperature rises. So, increasing the inlet pressure and/or reducing the liquid temperature can cure cavitation.

When the piston draws in liquid through the inlet plumbing and past the inlet valve there is always some pressure drop. Poor plumbing (tubing too small, restrictive fittings) make the situation worse. The water level above the pump inlet makes a difference as well. The higher the level - the more pressure (head, as the pump guys say) is exerted at the inlet, helping the situation. Make the pump draw water uphill (water box below pump) creates low pressure (vacuum) making the situation worse.

You can create cavitation at any temperature (with enough inlet restriction and/or low enough inlet pressure) but high temperature makes matters worse (much worse, as you approch boiling).
Do you think if I tapped a fitting for a bigger hose on the water box, and choke it down right at the pump create enough pressure? If so how much bigger would I have to go?

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Making the plumbing bigger doesn't add/create any pressure, it just reduces pressure drop. One size bigger than the inlet would be my suggestion (like 1/2" inlet - use 3/4" hose).

The height of the water in the water box above the pump inlet is what creates the pressure, slight as it may be.

Reactions: Able 1

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom