Water Well. Is it necessary?

hogjowl

Idiot™
I have my 2004 Cheverolet 3500 van (only 57,000 miles on it) sitting out back collecting pollen, and I am considering putting a slide-in unit in it as a back up to the Vortex. I've talked to a ton of mfgs and most of them sell their systems without a water tank. Since I have always dealt with TCS and they always put water wells in their units, this took me by complete surprise. Every one of the before mentioned suppliers insisted that fresh water tanks are a thing of the past.

Are you guys running waterless? Have you found it to be a workable set up, or are you having a hard time imagining not having fresh water on board like I am?

Ryan

Just pulled my makeshift freshwater tank for more room for the summer. I will prolly put it in come winter. If you use a water stick you can have soft water with a water hose hook up.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We've always carried our water, saves time over hooking up hoses, looking for a spigot and getting blamed for breaking their pipes.

Get the one that fits under the hose reel, saves space.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Hydramaster makes one.......I think it was 100 or 120 gallons..........

I liked where it sit in the center of the van and balanced everything out.....and then the reels went on top.............

5.jpg

topnotchman

waterless here. Never really had a problem. I dont like carrying extra weight, and taking up more room in the van. I'm sure its great for commercial jobs, but I dont do many of those. I bought a water key for commercial buildings and never had a problem.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Here is the Blueline "Waterpond...."

HARPERPIC312-1.jpg

We have had NO problems with it...Electric hose reel & On demand pump...!

Ps...they work fine in a van...you can even mount you chemical shelve to it ...
plus hang your upholstery wand from it + attach you TI wand along the side..."Space saver"

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Why haul around an extra ton of weight when water is easily available at 99.99 percent of jobs?

Four fifty-foot water hoses weigh much less. Almost never need more than one.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
hogjowl said:
I have my 2004 Cheverolet 3500 van (only 57,000 miles on it) sitting out back collecting pollen, and I am considering putting a slide-in unit in it as a back up to the Vortex. I've talked to a ton of mfgs and most of them sell their systems without a water tank. Since I have always dealt with TCS and they always put water wells in their units, this took me by complete surprise. Every one of the before mentioned suppliers insisted that fresh water tanks are a thing of the past.

Are you guys running waterless? Have you found it to be a workable set up, or are you having a hard time imagining not having fresh water on board like I am?

I've always used a fresh water tank since I bought my first WM in '87 and thought I couldn't live without one. Then I bought a Steam Genie for a backup that didn't have one and I found you can work quite well without one. Only once I was unable to hook up to a water supply in the ten years I used it. I still like the convenience of the FWT but it definitely isn't essential.

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
i used my backup for a year with out a reel and water it blowed i hated it
but i was always havin to do that apt the guys couldn'nt get too
got one now and the van is now useless except to clean carpet with
but i love the setup les did for me
but now i can;nt haul hardly anything in it except a vac- crb and a airpath
but its ready to be called to active duty with a turn of the key
soon to be #2 van we hope

Name
Steve Lawrence
All of our Butlers have had 110 gal water tanks. This is soooo convenient. Who cares about carrying extra weight. That's what vans are for. If you are using an hour or two a week finding water, hooking up and unhooking, did you get paid adequately for all those extra motions?

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Steve Lawrence said:
All of our Butlers have had 110 gal water tanks. This is soooo convenient. Who cares about carrying extra weight. That's what vans are for. If you are using an hour or two a week finding water, hooking up and unhooking, did you get paid adequately for all those extra motions?

"EXACTLY..." Well said... :!:

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Steve Lawrence said:

Average two-three minutes per job. How much time do you spend filling your water well?

How much extra fuel hauling extra tons? Extra wear on truck?

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
I carry my own water. Alot of my work are rentals and bank owned homes and many of them have no water because the tenants that got evicted didn't pay the water bill, or the bank has the home winterized and have the water shut off.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
Never used a fresh water tank. I believe you have to get a hose out every day to fill your tank. How long does it take you? I like the extra room in my van and extra weight costs bucks. Why complicate things? And yes you need fresh water once every couple of years for me anyhow

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
never had a fresh water tank.
so no, you don't need one and can get along perfectly fine.

i can certainly see the virtues of having one though.

..L.T.A.

Mikey P

Administrator
I had 13 trucks with Coit and my Butler, none of them had tanks.

V obviously does, the Lunchpail does not.

I wouldn't want to give up the valuable space for a tank in a regular bed cargo van.

Rather carry tile tools.

and 100 ft of garden hose just in case.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
I've never lost a job due to lack of onboard water.

Onboard water would be convenient on rare occasions but carrying a ton of water around every day is much more inconvenient.

Occasional-use water cells, maybe a series of twenty-gallons each, (or even a couple poly 55-gals), with a pump on the last one, could be interconnected with hose to fit into vacant spaces in the cargo area if you really needed onboard water for a job. Easy to throw onboard and remove. (Mytee John?)

Name
Eric Valentine
Johnny said:
I've never lost a job due to lack of onboard water.

Onboard water would be convenient on rare occasions but carrying a ton of water around every day is much more inconvenient.

Occasional-use water cells, maybe a series of twenty-gallons each, (or even a couple poly 55-gals), with a pump on the last one, could be interconnected with hose to fit into vacant spaces in the cargo area if you really needed onboard water for a job. Easy to throw onboard and remove. (Mytee John?)
I have lost more than a few from not having onboard water. This happens mostly at condos that used to be apartments. Either there are NO water spigots on the buildings, the spigots have locks on them, the spigots are not functioning, or the only spigot is over 300' away on a maintenance shed/clubhouse.

I am planning on getting a 55 gallon poly drum and a transfer pump. By putting dual float valves at the 15 gallon and 45 gallon levels, I can use it at 15 gallons as a buffer for the houses that have poor water pressure (my chemical feed is hooked to the incoming water to the waterbox), for fill it for use where I can't access a water spigot/hose bib. By having only 15 gallons most of the time, there won't be much of a weight issue, and I could just use the 15 gallons to spray out the waste tank at the end of the day.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Eric Valentine said:
This happens mostly at condos that used to be apartments. Either there are NO water spigots on the buildings, the spigots have locks on them, the spigots are not functioning, or the only spigot is over 300' away on a maintenance shed/clubhouse.

Eric, go to Home Depot, Lowes, etc .
in the plumbing section where the faucet aerators are, you'll find a faucet adapter.
It has inside and outside threads and will fit 99.92% of res/apt/condo faucets
and 98.37% of com faucets.

about $4 is all it costs

..L.T.A.

Al

We have enough people asking if we use thier water to prove the need for a fresh tank. Many have well water and are worried about how much we will use. 8) I guess it depends where you live, when we describe our cleaning systems, one of the bennifits is we carry our own clean water.

Name
Steve Lawrence
Carrying your own water also allows you to control your water quality.

Maybe it's not for everyone but I think onboard water is a big time saver and I couldn't ever go back to tankless.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
We never had tanks unitl our butlers in 1984, so we went 45 years prior without them. I would never go back to not having them.

9 months of the year it isn't too bad but adds a couple to 5 minutes per job between stringing the water hose & packing it up neatly.
Winter it is a pain in the ass in MI.

Ken

Mikey P

Administrator
Five minutes here and there add up to a 7 job a day company.

I'm guessing a 4 job day is huge and as rare as a woman in shoes in Prattsville, AL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom