Waterproof mat for furniture cleaning--what are you using?

Name
Steve Lawrence
Hi All,

We have been using the hardware store plastic mats with metal grommets for years. They are okay but when worn will leak through. Also, the grommets are hazards when used on a hard surface floor--potential for scratching.

Is there something out there that would be more suitable for this purpose. Should be at least 8' x 10' I think.

Thanks,
Steve

Reactions: ruff

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I use painters dropcloths and combined with the use of a SS upholstery tool, very little moisture makes it to the floor. So I am basically using them for cleaning and prespraying cushions.

Lars

Name
Lars
I like to use thick moving blankets to protect the floor from moisture and scratches. Also feels good on the keens When your working on lower upholstery sections.

Customers compliment me on them all the time and they look professional.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Hi All,

We have been using the hardware store plastic mats with metal grommets for years. They are okay but when worn will leak through. Also, the grommets are hazards when used on a hard surface floor--potential for scratching.

Is there something out there that would be more suitable for this purpose. Should be at least 8' x 10' I think.

Thanks,
Steve

butyl rubber coated drops

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...heeting/canvas-and-coated-canvas-drop-cloths/

light
durable
easy to set up/put away
easy to store/don't take up much room
won't scratch
won't soak thru
if you spill something, it will remain puddled "virtually" forever...or at least til you vac it up....

They're not as supple as 10oz cotton canvass drops and are a bit stiffer (due to the rubber coating)
but not as stiff or noisy as poly tarps (what it sounds like you use now)

..L.T.A.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I also use the blankets at the front door as a mat. Walk in unfold a moving blanket, spotting bag on blanket... Okay ms smith, can you show me around. And they also keep the tm warm at night.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
We use these poly coated canvas drop cloths by paint essentials. We have the 4' x 12' drop clothes. The are cotton fabric on one side with a blue poly shell on top. We carry about 5 units in each van. We really like them.
http://www.paintessentials.com/drop_cloths.htm

The units we use are at the bottom of the page.

I also posted a set of pictures on our Facebook page a couple weeks ago showing how we protect peoples homes even when no one is home. We have our Facebook linked to the front page of our website. I will post a link to that post that hopefully all of you can see those pics.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a...170&type=1

If you can't see the link just scroll down to "protecting our clients home"

Also another link to Amazon site. They are a little over $13 each. http://www.amazon.com/Essentials-4-...8-2&keywords=paint+essentials+poly+drop+cloth

Mark Saiger
http://www.saigers.com

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We cut pad for area rugs so have an abundance of remnants. We cut them into stock sizes that can be laid out around the furniture and if they get nasty just throw them away.

If we didn't have these to use I'd probably buy the vinyl and poly-fleece picnic mats sold by Costco. Cheap, good-looking, reasonably absorbant, won't rot.

Name
Steve Lawrence
Thanks for the replies. I think the best mat would be one that can be put away slightly damp and not end up stinking. Also, mats need to be a manageable size like 6x9 or 8x10. Also, they should be cleanable (not canvass) and hide dirt (not white). The 4 ft wide stuff won't work.

Any other ideas out there?

S

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Use to need but with our Drimaster tools we have little to none splash over. Of there is a touch its dried as needed. No biggie with the flow tools.

Name
BradFenstermaker
Thick moving blanket for the knee's. Also Harbour Frieght blankets at the front door and between rooms on hardwood hallways.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
One of the problems is letting the canvass dry, if it gets wet.

What works best for me so far, is a canvass on the floor and a regular (with the metal grommets) heavy duty tarp on top.
The tarp does not let the moisture through (If there's moisture I pick it with a towel) and the canvass protects the floor from scratching, but does not get wet (no rotting, blackening etc.)

Because I usually do not have the time to dry the canvass properly, it works well for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom