We let the customer pre vac.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
DRScrivner said:
Got me a "Walk Up" today. No lettering on my Dodge Truck or my cargo trailer at all- NADA, ZIP. So how did I get a "Walk Up"?

On a job in an upscale neighborhood. Neighbors out walking their dog down the sidewalk and see me coming out of my cargo trailer with..........................................................

Wait for it.....................................................................................................

My Bissell Pet Hair Eraser vac.

They say: "Oh you must be a carpet cleaner."
I say: "One of the two best in town." (I respect Jim highly though we've never met.)
They say: "Come give us an estimate after you are finished here."

Booked them for after the first of the year- SCHWIIIIING

Thanks Bissell.

I will hunt you down ................ :shock:

G

Mikey P said:
[quote="Kevin P":14xnxn08]You know it is like telling you idiots you dont know how to clean carpet,telling Mrs Jones she doesnt know how to vacuum her own carpet.So why stop there,why not schedule a weekly appt. to vac because it is going to need it and you are the only ones certified to do it.It needs to be done,no argument there,but by who and when is by discresion.And Mickey,your lieing,all you got from Coit was your client list that took you 13 years to accumulate.

Well that was rude.[/quote:14xnxn08]
You are right.I just forget to add in the funny faces half the time,and the Coit thing,come on,its just to easy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: some extra

JFRASER

It was fun to see so many people feel about prevaccuming(DRY SOIL REMOVALE). This should be a first step in any cleaning method even truck mounted, shame on those who dont. If you leave out this step how can you call your self a procleaner. I guess we are all intitled to are own opinions fact or fiction.

Mikey P

Administrator
Kevin P said:
[quote="Mikey P":3afaydva][quote="Kevin P":3afaydva]You know it is like telling you idiots you dont know how to clean carpet,telling Mrs Jones she doesnt know how to vacuum her own carpet.So why stop there,why not schedule a weekly appt. to vac because it is going to need it and you are the only ones certified to do it.It needs to be done,no argument there,but by who and when is by discresion.And Mickey,your lieing,all you got from Coit was your client list that took you 13 years to accumulate.

Well that was rude.[/quote:3afaydva]
You are right.I just forget to add in the funny faces half the time,and the Coit thing,come on,its just to easy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: some extra[/quote:3afaydva]

Here I am 8 years into my own and I bet my surviving Coit list is under 10%.

But I'll admit it, with that group of 088 faithfuls I did 130k in the first 8 months.

Greenie

I still can't believe you vacuumed under the Coit banner. :shock:

If a Coit chimp can vac, what does an O/O have to say in defense for not?

I now call it the Marty syndrome, but we have litterally hundreds of customers that say...you knowm those damn glides MADE me start vacuuming more, but now I'm cool with it, I think it does a better job, less issues, sets me apart from the masses.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Putting a glide on your wand will make you be a better cleaner. It reduces your drying times, not only because of the increased vacuum efficiency of the design, but by also forcing you to do drying passes (because of the overspray), and it forces the conscientious cleaner to prevacuum. So, the customer gets a much better job.

The problem is, it also forces you to raise your prices to compensate for the added time it takes you to complete your jobs.

That's a problem for some, and not for others.

Greenie

I can see that for the guy slammin' $99 specials with 5 trucks (or 45), but not for Owner Ops. Unless your breath smells, you have the personality of a frog, or show up in your concert shirt and holey jeans....so which one is it?

hogjowl

Idiot™
Many, MANY dudes break their backs to get 25 cents a sf, in some markets, and are higher priced than the others around, but still can't pay the bills if it takes them an hour to clean 350 sf.

And that's not an exaggeration when you consider prevacuuming and doing drying strokes. Add a prescrubbing step, and they might as well stay home.

Raise their prices up to 35 cents and they sit at home unvoluntarily.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Kevin P said:
You know it is like telling you idiots you dont know how to clean carpet,telling Mrs Jones she doesnt know how to vacuum her own carpet.
She doesn't know!
Thats why we as a "professional carpet cleaner", will show her how to maintain her carpet. We show her how to properly use a vacuum because, lets face it, just like the carpet retailers know squat about carpet cleaning the vacuum retailers know squat about vacuuming. The only vacuuming they have experience with is their store.
We show her how the carpet lies and to vacuum to stand up the pile to extract more soil.
Show here where the most soil is accumulating.
Suggest how often to vacuum and how often to have us clean.
Suggest to empty the bags when they are half full and explain why the bags are useless after they are that full.
Educate her on her vacuum's maintenance, check the belts, the brushes every 6mths, the bags, make sure there are no clogs, etc.
It doesn't take long, you don't need to pull out her vacuum and inspect it, show her on your own vacuum. If you have the time to inspect her vacuum for her, go for it. Great idea someone had a while back.

This soil came from less than 100sf of carpet. A TM alone would have gotten "some" but not near as much as I did dry. "Normal" soil in a well maintained house isn't the problem, its this abusive neglected carpet soiling that causes the challenges. Only takes an extra 5 minutes to save and extra 5 steam cleaning. Which costs more?
Copyof08-12-03whyIdontpostpad-1.jpg

For those guys charging 25 cents, I've been there. Its a tough go for sure. I stuck to vacuuming rather than sacrifice the results, and yes, I don't work as much as the other guys at 25 cents, but the people that call do so BECAUSE they know I vacuum. Its people's expectations. Most people are shocked to see a Professional Cleaner vacuum!! They've never seen it before. When I first started I asked a lady what it was worth to her to know that soil, which I showed her, was out of the carpet. She said nothing but then she was the daughter of the owner. The owner really appreciates knowing its gone.

One last question. Are we there to clean or there to improve the "appearance"?

G

Absolutely Ron,and tell her it is ok to do it every day or two and then she knows how,the problem is not the vacuum,its how infrequent they do it.

Cameron1

"One last question. Are we there to clean or there to improve the "appearance"?

It's not up to you to answer that question. Its the client who decides that. The only thing that matters to me is what the client thinks about the job she just got. She makes that decision not on some guy with his vaccum, but rather on his people skills. (for the most part) Along with the song and dance that goes with the WOW factor. If you want to vaccum as part of your song and dance that is just fine, but please, don't tell me I'm a hack just because I do not vaccum. If I had to do it to get decent prices I would, but I don't.

Now, as far as some kind of standards..............set by who?............... then ...........when "who" starts paying my bills n I will follow their standards.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Appearance, in most situations.

When you start being a carpet doctor, you lose over half of the available market. (and that's being generous ... more like over 80%, I bet)

It's fine to be a carpet doctor, as long as you understand that you are always going to be a small fry in a larger world of $99 for 4 rooms and a hall customers. There's something to be said for being a lone duck on the pond while you are young, and if your market will allow it. There may even be some markets where cleaners can build a small two or three truck operation following the carpet doctor business plan, as long as they also do restoration work too.

But if you plan on making a future for yourself cleaning floor covering exclusively, you're going to have to make a choice between doing it correctly, or doing it smart. "Smart" being get in, get out, get it dry, and get it done cheaply.

The average family doesn't have time to take off work and wait while their cleaner spends hours cleaning and they are not happy paying the same as they would if they'd just sent their child to the dentist.

Rex Tyus

admiralclean said:
Appearance, in most situations.

When you start being a carpet doctor, you lose over half of the available market. (and that's being generous ... more like over 80%, I bet)

It's fine to be a carpet doctor, as long as you understand that you are always going to be a small fry in a larger world of $99 for 4 rooms and a hall customers. There's something to be said for being a lone duck on the pond while you are young, and if your market will allow it. There may even be some markets where cleaners can build a small two or three truck operation following the carpet doctor business plan, as long as they also do restoration work too.

But if you plan on making a future for yourself cleaning floor covering exclusively, you're going to have to make a choice between doing it correctly, or doing it smart. "Smart" being get in, get out, get it dry, and get it done cheaply.

The average family doesn't have time to take off work and wait while their cleaner spends hours cleaning and they are not happy paying the same as they would if they'd just sent their child to the dentist.

I often agree with you Marty. I just generally don't let you know it. This post however needs an AMEN in my opinion. For the new comers this is some of the best advice ever given on the boards.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Are we there to clean or there to improve the "appearance"?[/quote]

You hit the nail on the head Ron. That's what this thread is about. We are called in the do what a janitor or maid or the housewife cannot do: make the carpet look great. You can vacuum the carpet until every grain of salt is removed (like you do) but it will still look dirty with spots and traffic lanes that only a good carpet cleaner can remove. That's what they're paying us for.

Mikey P

Administrator
I would never let my customers tell me how to specifically clean their stuff.

And how any professional would use the home owners ignorance to make their job easier is beyond me.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I'm a wee bit more verbose than Mike :D

steve said:
"One last question. Are we there to clean or there to improve the "appearance"?

It's not up to you to answer that question. Its the client who decides that. The only thing that matters to me is what the client thinks about the job she just got. She makes that decision not on some guy with his vaccum, but rather on his people skills. (for the most part) Along with the song and dance that goes with the WOW factor. If you want to vaccum as part of your song and dance that is just fine, but please, don't tell me I'm a hack just because I do not vaccum. If I had to do it to get decent prices I would, but I don't.

Now, as far as some kind of standards..............set by who?............... then ...........when "who" starts paying my bills n I will follow their standards.

When I go into a house, they see me as the EXPERT. I don't know how many times a client has said "Well you're THE professional". They say that like "I" am to know whats best for the carpet, not them telling me what's best.

How the hec can the client decide?? I've seen this statement too many times and its such a copout. The client doesn't know beans about carpet cleaning and they are going to decide what's clean????

You aren't a hack if you don't vacuum. You aren't a hack if you don't groom. You aren't a hack if you use a cheap ass TM or porty. You're a hack when you KNOW how to clean and you only do a half assed job! Some steps are more vital than others. YOU tell the client, THIS is what "I" NEED to do in order to CLEAN your carpet.

If all you're shooting for is appearance, and you're marketing that, fine. Just don't say you are cleaning the carpet. At the end of a job just say, Doesn't your carpet LOOK cleaner?

I'll tell you though, I can say at the end of the job that the carpet is as CLEAN AS I CAN GET IT, AND doesn't it look better!
You don't have to vacuum like I do. I vacuum only as much as I need to, and I can tell how much effort to put in based on what I see coming into the canister. But if you want to extend the life and the health of the carpet you need to remove the dry particulate and it isn't coming out wet.

If you're in a house from day one, high end clients, maids that vacuum every day, the fluff method will make it last for years. But its hardly the situation from which to base a standard.

Vacuuming is NOT part of the song and dance. Its a vital part of cleaning!

admiralclean said:
I don't follow the logic in that statement, Mikey.

Explain further.
Along with the song and dance that goes with the WOW factor. If you want to vaccum as part of your song and dance that is just fine, but please, don't tell me I'm a hack just because I do not vaccum.
It's marketing based on the song and dance. You get many clients that only have you come in because of the emotional marketing and price and because you wow them with fluff. There will be plenty of people that will be "loyal" because of that.
I'll tell you another thing though. I can walk into a clients house and tell them the truth about cleaning, what's in it, what is needed to remove it, and if price isn't their major concern, I've got me a new client. But a cleaner thats fluff cleaning will have a hard time taking one of my clients because they'll know he's trying to baffle them BS. The only reason they will take a client is because of price. And if that's all that client is looking for, I'm more than happy to recommend a good budget cleaner.

owatajrkiam

I just did my 1st. job yesterday and i pre-vacuumed w/ my Electrolx Pro-Lux commercial,groomed the Chemspec Ecogent :mrgreen: in thoroughly and had at er' w/the Mytee 1003 and Roto-vac! It was - 26C in Winnipeg yesterday so the heat was pumping and the carpets dried fairly fast!.It was pretty dirty and you could see a difference just from vacuuming as they had a $100 Wallmart special!. The custy was gleamin' when i left and i made a follow-up call this A.M. to make sure it dried thougholy and to make sure they followed with a vacuuming, and they are going out looking at a new Dyson at Costco! I can't wait for my teflon glides for my wand to get here,but the mail is a bit slow!. I plan on pre-vac'n for every job i do! It might take longer,but knowing the carpet IS cleaner,before i put the water to it,...i know it'll be cleaner after i extract the rinse from it!. I want to thank everyone for their tips and it was a bonus to find this forum! :wink:

Glen

hogjowl

Idiot™
Start saving your pennies for that microscope and by spring you should have one.

White lab coats should be on sale in March in the Swap Meet Room.

Cameron1

Mikey P said:
It's not up to you to answer that question. Its the client who decides that.

and that is why Steve will be forever spending huge amounts of hard earned cash on marketing and JP mentoring.

Quite the opposite Mikey............I have not been with Joe for several years now.................I would also venture to say the amount that I spend on Marketing is way below Industry norms.

I would also add that even when I was with Piranha Marketing I still had the lowest Marketing costs imagineable when taken as a % of sales.

Cameron1

Mikey P said:
I would never let my customers tell me how to specifically clean their stuff.

And how any professional would use the home owners ignorance to make their job easier is beyond me.

Where does that statement come from?

Have you ever heard this before, "penny wise and pound foolish"

Cameron1

It's marketing based on the song and dance. You get many clients that only have you come in because of the emotional marketing and price and because you wow them with fluff. There will be plenty of people that will be "loyal" because of that.
I'll tell you another thing though. I can walk into a clients house and tell them the truth about cleaning, what's in it, what is needed to remove it, and if price isn't their major concern, I've got me a new client. But a cleaner thats fluff cleaning will have a hard time taking one of my clients because they'll know he's trying to baffle them BS. The only reason they will take a client is because of price. And if that's all that client is looking for, I'm more than happy to recommend a good budget cleaner.

Ron
I would bet that my prices are as high and maybe even higher than yours, and I can also make the same claim that you are making about someone taking one of my clients.......It ain't gonna happen unless it's a price issue.

Futhermore, it has nothing to do with truth or being honest, its just carpet cleaning for crying out loud. If you want to make out like it's a religion or something thats fine......I'm happy for ya.

I have no doubt that you are a better cleaner than I am, but so what? I am sure there are things that I can do better than you.

Let,s just save the Holy than thou stuff for Sundays.

DUSTY

sweendogg said:
Got Vacuum? The Bissel is at my place and Would love to have a pile lifter but here is my little collection.. Mikey you said you wanted pictures! Granted I can't work one and take a picture of it at same time.. Short arms I guess.
Cleanandstuff034.jpg

David

Nice pic with all the vacs and your RugBadger. Just one hint for ya..if you peel of the protective paper on the RB the stainless steel cover will look real shiny and Purdy!

Greenie

Honestly, if i thought prevacing could allow me to charge another .02 a foot, I'd do it in a heartbeat. There is no logical reason to omit a cleaning step that can help when it's so easy, I'll never understand the resistance to prevacuuming, you are setting the bar higher for someone to come in behind you. Do you seriously think ANYONE is coming in behind Ron and showing him up? not likely....at that point it all boils down to personality, and unless you are persoanlly on every job, personality is not somehting you can bank on.

Greenie

owatajrkiam said:
I just did my 1st. job yesterday and i pre-vacuumed w/ my Electrolx Pro-Lux commercial,groomed the Chemspec Ecogent :mrgreen: in thoroughly and had at er' w/the Mytee 1003 and Roto-vac! It was - 26C in Winnipeg yesterday so the heat was pumping and the carpets dried fairly fast!.It was pretty dirty and you could see a difference just from vacuuming as they had a $100 Wallmart special!. The custy was gleamin' when i left and i made a follow-up call this A.M. to make sure it dried thougholy and to make sure they followed with a vacuuming, and they are going out looking at a new Dyson at Costco! I can't wait for my teflon glides for my wand to get here,but the mail is a bit slow!. I plan on pre-vac'n for every job i do! It might take longer,but knowing the carpet IS cleaner,before i put the water to it,...i know it'll be cleaner after i extract the rinse from it!. I want to thank everyone for their tips and it was a bonus to find this forum! :wink:

Glen

Do your custy a favor and save them the $400.

http://www.amazon.com/Bissell-3910-Momentum-Bagless-Upright/dp/B000HS28AA

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom