We work in a thankless business.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I have spent the last 2 sundays doing vct maintenance in a large retail store. 25k square feet scrubbed and recoated with 1-3 coats in various areas, they supplies the floor finish , I supplied the equipment and labor. In total between time on the job as well as loading and unloading we where in to that job for 60 man hours. We worked our azzez off in this store not to mention being gone all day for 2 sundays in a row. Because I do a couple of their stores I thought I would give him a break . All I charged this guy was $1600. When I gave him the ticket he said "oh wow thats really expensive , thats about $200 too high". I found it funny moments earlier in the conversation he was bragging about how his store set an all time sales record for the month of november and how busy they have been. In my area there are not a whole lot of firms that have the resources or the experience to do maintenance on a store that big. I was actually gonna charge the store more but thought I was doing a favor for a repeat customer. The sad part is this guy claims to have once owned a cleaning business and did alot of vct stripping and waxing. If so he out of all people should know how grueling and labor intensive this work can be. I guess if I am looking for any sort of appreciation or respect I am in the wrong line of work :hopeless::hopeless:

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I told you. You will never get any respect in this biz, so you might as well get paid.

But, I do hear you. I often find myself daydreaming about a line of work that was a little more redeeming.
On the bright side there will always something that needs cleaned and I sleep good at night (when I’m not up all night working).

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That sucks Jon, did you remind him of the man hours put into the work? $26.00 hour on a Sunday, is a tough way to make a buck, he should know that.

I'm with Mike find clients that respect the work you're doing and get paid. You don't have gouge them but you deserve to get paid for what you know and what you can deliver.

I don't know that floor business but in town the large outfit has big ole machines they drive around. They hire wetbacks to do the work and the stores lock the crews in the store and open it up in the morning after they've completed the work. Sounds like low pricing? They do great work though, anything big in town and you see their old rusty old buckets.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
No your right mike. Im sure ken snow will chime in at any moment and tell me in vivid detai how this is all my fault after he has a chance to let his hago fornesic examiners read my post lol!

I must have offended you somewhere along the way Jon. Seems like you already know or you wouldn't be worried about other's comments. Sorry the job didn't work out- sounds like you tried to do a nice thing for the guy.

Name
Jesse
I've been in the same boat way too many times. I really shouldn't try to help those that don't need it but somehow I still end up in those positions. Since you didn't have a number agreed upon in advance I assume this guy trusts you. If the cheap ass trusts you enough to hire you without an agreement I'm sure you can get the money you planned on charging. I bet if you came in $400 higher he would have still told you it's $200 to high. It sounds like his nature, keep a cool head and work it out.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
Commercial vct may be thankless but residential cc is very thankfull. I love this industry for that reason. It is a great day when a lady's carpets gets cleaned and she usually appreciates it very much.

Last week one of my guys received a 46 dollar tip, a 25 dollar tip, some smaller ones and we received a thank you card in the mail for the work he did. I think that goes to show that most customers are thankfull

Reactions: Derek
F

FB7777

Don't take it personally ... first

I know that is diffcult when you have considerable sweat equity in the job, but many managers are always looking to negotiate a better deal... if he can do that with his vendors, his bottom line improves

He may have not been looking for the full $200, but perhaps a 5% break on the price

The place where you went wrong IMO is not getting the price confirmed BEFORE the job started or at least determined a man hour labor rate to avoid this

Its never in your favor to negotiate a price after the job is completed, your bargaining leverage is gone

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Retail VCT has been a mess for probably 10 years now, really a cut-throat industry.

About the only time we become involved anymore is when a construction company hires us for a scrub/wax on a new install, that is still pretty profitable.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Wetbacks, lol!
What? They are, they even spray painted "Juarez" on the hood of one of those ratty vans.

Listen dude ... when even the resident Mexican understands that vct work sucks, you might want to reconsider doing any more of it in the future.
Because we have old school equipment for VCT and we don't offer it as a service. It just takes us too long and such a hassle. I think if you have the right equipment like Jon and Doug and Dealtime you can make some money.

However I agree with Fred, when you're done is no time to negotiate. That's true of any service we offer, we always want them to know how much or at least a ball park. People will use it against you, its their strategy, "It needs to be done", "Oh price doesn't matter", "Just take care of it and bill me".

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
That sucks Jon, did you remind him of the man hours put into the work? $26.00 hour on a Sunday, is a tough way to make a buck, he should know that.

I'm with Mike find clients that respect the work you're doing and get paid. You don't have gouge them but you deserve to get paid for what you know and what you can deliver.

I don't know that floor business but in town the large outfit has big ole machines they drive around. They hire wetbacks to do the work and the stores lock the crews in the store and open it up in the morning after they've completed the work. Sounds like low pricing? They do great work though, anything big in town and you see their old rusty old buckets.

Bob's Lol. They are why I stay out of large VCT jobs. I to alright with small jobs under 5,000 sq ft. They try to run the propane brunishers is small areas and end up burning the tile and kicking up a ton of dust.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yep, they advertise a fleet of 35 trucks, they just don't say that only half of them run. LOL

They don't get it, they constantly knock us in their advertising (not by name but by saying the big water damage company) yet they don't understand we are in two completly different markets. My clients wouldn't call them and their's couldn't or wouldn't afford us. :oldrolleyes:

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
these fooking MMM companies are who have fooked it up.....

and those who do work for them....

Thats why i have chosen to stay out of the the "large" corp, type jobs.....

speaking of which...i need to email that guy on his 2 stores....havent heard anything back......oh and i gave him a little "deal" because he knows my worker....but he may still have sticker shock..... who knows.....

i just know it aint happening for $15 an hr

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Isn't it amazing how uppity the Mexican's have gotten since Obama got reelected?
LOL

I saw some pictures with my younger brother at the White House Christmas party last week. I asked my brother if he asked the president if he could do something to help some carpet cleaners out in Topeka, Kansas. He said he was too busy looking for something he could steal. :icon_rolleyes:

I didn't vote for the man so I didn't get any pictures sent to me but Dan & my sister got a bunch of them.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
They didn't vote for him? Chit I figured your whole state did.:p

I don't really care who is at the helm, just as long as they can right this ship. Or at least for a couple of cleaners in Kansas. :winky:

hogjowl

Idiot™
I saw a map showing the counties that voted democratic in the last election and I could have told you where the democrats were without even seeing the map. If you know where the black people in our state live, that's where the Obama voters were located. North Alabama went for Romney, with the exception of Jefferson county (birmingham area). The middle and southern counties went for Romney, except for a swath of counties running through Montgomery area. Since our Mexican's can't vote (we don't think), it was a black verses white election.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Since our Mexican's can't vote (we don't think), it was a black verses white election.
LOL Kansas traditionally votes Republican, I assume they did again.

I don't keep up with politics, but Dan is way into it.
I get too frustrated by the waste and corruption in government and mostly the lack of any change....what ever the color of the president.

Personally I'd like to see a women president......a hot one! :winky:

:very_drunk:

hogjowl

Idiot™
LOL Kansas traditionally votes Republican, I assume they did again.

I don't keep up with politics, but Dan is way into it.
I get too frustrated by the waste and corruption in government and mostly the lack of any change....what ever the color of the president.

Personally I'd like to see a women president......a hot one! :winky:

:very_drunk:

So, you won't be a Hillary voter, I take it ...

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
these fooking MMM companies are who have fooked it up.....

and those who do work for them....

Thats why i have chosen to stay out of the the "large" corp, type jobs.....

speaking of which...i need to email that guy on his 2 stores....havent heard anything back......oh and i gave him a little "deal" because he knows my worker....but he may still have sticker shock..... who knows.....

i just know it aint happening for $15 an hr
Ya no kidding. what kills me is the fact that aside from the mom and pop jan companies nthat can only handle a couple thousand square feet, there are only a handfull of us out there that have the know how and resources to take on large scale vct and can deliver quality work. To add insult to injury I know for a fact this asswipe couldnt have gotten a better deal anywhere in 60 miles.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom