wET dOG sMELL

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
I run across this problem occasionally and have heard different explanations reguarding its source and treatment. A sales rep from a well known supply store suggested it was oils from the body of pets and was impossible to remove from the carpets fibers. "Tear out the carpet". Was his solution.

I have also heard the smell is from the dry skin - dander of the animal. And simply needs to be vac'ed thourougly to remove odor.

Could it be both the body oils and dander causing this nasty smell? I, my self will vac and apply Judsons dd-12. I seem to get good results (based on the lack of call backs), but I would be interested in any experiences and possible solutions to this all to common odor. I want to be certain that what I am doing is the most effective solution.

Thanks

FyreLyter

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Dillon
Pros choice has a pretty good thing going with X-cide. I've used it on a couple of smelly sofas and recently a house with a 2 dogs and 3 cats. Kinda smells like Irish spring soap too. Haha.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
A sales rep from a well known supply store suggested it was oils from the body of pets and was impossible to remove from the carpets fibers.

yea? well tell him he's full of baloney

dog odor (not urine related) is just want you suspected...a combination of dander and oils

we dealt with one not too long ago.
It was hardest one to correct we've ever encountered in 20+ years of full time rug suckin'

We've corrected many over the years, and we know the drill.
start with a THOROUGH vac...you have to really "wernerize" the chit out of it first to remove as much dander as possible .
Then a strong degreaser with protein digesting capabilities pre-spray to take care of oils .
a THOROUGH flush/rinse extract spiked with your favorite smell-good

That get's 90% of 'em....it barely put a dent in the one we recently fixed...

So I pulled to the carpet back to be sure it wasn't urine (I've been fooled a time or two before)
There was no urine .
So we wernerized again, nuked it with Quat-a-lot, dwelled for 20 minutes and flush/rinse extracted again .
It was 50% better , but still stunk days latter

as a late resort, we nuked it with sodium perc (OxyClean) flush/rinsed extracted a THIRD time, then plugged in an ozone machine for 24 hours ...FINALLY fixed it 100%

..L.T.A.

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
Clark Van Fleet said:
Then a strong degreaser with protein digesting capabilities pre-spray to take care of oils .

So we wernerized again, nuked it with Quat-a-lot, dwelled for 20 minutes and flush/rinse extracted again .

Sounds like your describing Cobbs powermaxx. "wernerized?"

Mabey leaving the Quat-a-lot on the carpet, instead of flushing afterwards might have made the last attempt uneccesary?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
tman7 said:
Sounds like your describing Cobbs powermaxx. "wernerized?"

Mabey leaving the Quat-a-lot on the carpet, instead of flushing afterwards might have made the last attempt uneccesary?

"WERNERIZED" is a board term for obsessive compulsive vacuuming

Quat-a-lot needs to be rinsed out.
if you don't believe me, mix some up, spray a significant amount on your carpet.
then run your hand across it the next day after it's dried .
You'll know why it needs to be rinsed out ....it will be tacky

the quat nuking had a minimum of 20 minutes dwell.
near the end of the room, it had over an hour dwell .
It didn't get it

The sodium perc nuking oxidized it into submission .
The ozone blast was to bury it for good

Like I said, we've corrected many over the years with little trouble.
This one was extremely tenacious.

The next one we do, we'll go straight to the sodium perc nuke...
after a "Wernerizing" of coarse..cause that's an essential part

..L.T.A.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
If it's a wet dog smell while your cleaning(wet carpet) it's wool.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Wernerizing refers to me shiteatinggrin
my one video started it

In addition to the good info above wet dog smell can also be because the last cleaner over wet the carpet and its still wet. I encountered this a couple times this past month from people that had rented a Rug Dr Malpractice Machine and thought they could clean a carpet like a professional. Need to dry the carpet and pad first before determining what else needs to be done.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
we use a heavy prespray with roxy ( 40 volumne peroxide the real stuff not sallys ) as a booster and had never had a problems.

gene

Able 1

Name
Keith
GeneMiller said:
we use a heavy prespray with roxy ( 40 volumne peroxide the real stuff not sallys ) as a booster and had never had a problems.

gene

OK, where are you getting it from?

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
After Wernerizing, SS new "Pet Stain and Odor Treatment" seems to work well, so far. I gotta order more.....JPemberton?

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
In some cases it can be bacteria that is growing off the contamination in the carpet. This usually happens when the carpet is very dirty in rentals. Sanitizing it will do wonders to prevent it from starting. Bacteria likes warm humid enviourments(steam cleaning)

As far as real peroxide? Cobbs has it listed as fabric brightner. Better than sallys and technically legal to mix with a high ph cleaner to remove organic stains per instructions(replaces stain magic)

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
roxy is the local guys product. i'm sure you can get it from your supplier under a different name . it's considerable stronger then sallys. it's the best oxidizer i have ever found. we use 2 cups to 3 gals of prespray and rotovac it. it has never failed yet.

gene

Luis Gomez

Name
Luis Gomez
If you can still smell it... it is because it is still wet and dirty. Bacteria is feeding on the organic matter. Vacuum, reclean it, sanitize and dry it. Quats are ineffective on excessive amount of organic matter, so I would suggest an oxidizer or enzymes to take care of the odor.
Luis

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom