Mikey P

Administrator
Same job, updated photo..

IMG9541041.jpg

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
dye , darker colors are MUCH easier that the very light almost white ones

Had one not long ago. Called by a housekeeping service to one of their clients homes. Small spots, on a dark grey.
Had to clean a bunch surrounding it to not feel guilty, the repair went so quick.

Reactions: Hack Attack

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
@Mikey P have you changed the title of your thread or did I not read it properly earlier?

If asking about specific dyes I've no experience with "Rit dyes" is that what the guy you contacted uses?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Just rub and go?
That's what I do at times. Not a permanent repair but will last until next cleaning at least. Sometimes several cleanings. Easy to start with a light color and work up to the original color. Good temporary repair on olefin and polyester carpet that won't accept traditional dyes.

Reactions: Rick J

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
the oily residue doesn't attract dirt?
Probably does but I've never noticed. I have a condo tower where the janitorial loves hydrogen peroxide cleaners. Nylon commercial carpets, mainly brown and green. I am able to blend the colors a little so that you don't notice. I clean them every year and most of the time I don't have to retouch.

Reactions: Mikey P

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
That's what I do at times. Not a permanent repair but will last until next cleaning at least. Sometimes several cleanings. Easy to start with a light color and work up to the original color. Good temporary repair on olefin and polyester carpet that won't accept traditional dyes.
Since the title change to Rit Dye, I have bought in the past to see if they met stick to and correct some of the color damage on olefin and polys that we see. did not seem to help at all

Reactions: Hack Attack

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I haven't heard of this. Can you expound for the uninitiated?
Oil pastels are available at most Arts and craft stores. They come in a pack of assorted colors like crayons but they are softer and flow better. They are not designed for carpet color repair but can be used for temporary color touch ups. I had an old carpet cleaner show me years ago and it's something I have used when the customer can't afford a full color repair. Simply choose a color similar but lighter than the color you are trying to match. You can use volatile solvent to blend or remove color. Add darker color slowly until you have a close enough match. What I do is very similar to what's in that video. Add and blend, add and blend. Too much? Remove with solvent. Use a trigger spray to avoid too much solvent as it will delaminate the carpet.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Oil pastels are available at most Arts and craft stores. They come in a pack of assorted colors like crayons but they are softer and flow better. They are not designed for carpet color repair but can be used for temporary color touch ups. I had an old carpet cleaner show me years ago and it's something I have used when the customer can't afford a full color repair. Simply choose a color similar but lighter than the color you are trying to match. You can use volatile solvent to blend or remove color. Add darker color slowly until you have a close enough match. What I do is very similar to what's in that video. Add and blend, add and blend. Too much? Remove with solvent. Use a trigger spray to avoid too much solvent as it will delaminate the carpet.
Hey Its fun!
20191016_172337.jpg

I've never tried your way, but have heard of it.
I normally only play with dyes if looks like carpet has few years in it

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Wax crayons are better.

Use a hair dryer to melt the wax into the fiber.

It's permanent. 😉

If working on Sisal, use boot polish, you may need to mix different colors to obtain the correct color.

Some can even be done (rental vacates) using chalk. :icon_twisted:😱

🤔:yoda::very_drunk::arrrr:

Mikey P

Administrator
Wax crayons are better.

It's permanent. 😉

If working on Sisal, use boot polish, you may need to mix different colors to obtain the correct color.

I've watched Tony W demo that a few times, never trusted my mild colorblindness to attempt it.

I recall him using a clothes iron, not a hair dryer?

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
Has anyone tried these?

Yes, I have. I do color repair.. I tried these to see if they could help on the olefin, and polys, that are not supposed to sustain color damage, BUT DO!
I could not make any improvements on those.
I have a few pictures somewhere of damage on those fibers. If you like I will try and find and post. I have in the past, but not lately.
AND ,, doing this stuff on line is not my strong suit!!! LOL!!(not techy, )

Reactions: Condog

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
Wax crayons are better.

It's permanent. 😉

I have had much better luck, if you want to call it that, using pemenant markers for a quick fix. Good enough for rentals.
A black sharpie is indispensable. !!!

Reactions: Condog and Mikey P

Willy P

Name
Willy P
what have you been up to Willy?

Business sale fell through. I have a new guy that seems interested enough that he's taking a cct course. I'm pulling a Bawb and sending a tech out to do the work if I don't want to join him. I'm going in to get a few stents shoved into my heart arteries after I get back from Nova Scotia where I'm hoping to close on a sweet little house. My wife and i are spending lots of time looking after her Dad who's starting to suffer from dementia. It has its challenges. We had temporary custody of my grandchildren after my son's ex made some bullshjt claims. After they were investigated, he got full custody back. It always amazes me how badly men ate discriminated against in child custody cases. I had a colonoscopy yesterday.
Other than that, not much.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
after I get back from Nova Scotia where I'm hoping to close on a sweet little house.

I remember you letting us know about this. I hope it all works out.

What area of Nova Scotia is this sweet little house in?

Reactions: Shorty

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Yes, I have. I do color repair.. I tried these to see if they could help on the olefin, and polys, that are not supposed to sustain color damage, BUT DO!
I could not make any improvements on those.
I have a few pictures somewhere of damage on those fibers. If you like I will try and find and post. I have in the past, but not lately.
AND ,, doing this stuff on line is not my strong suit!!! LOL!!(not techy, )

Gloves man gloves! Other than that, awesome job.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I remember you letting us know about this. I hope it all works out.

What area of Nova Scotia is this sweet little house in?
Blandford in Lunenburg county. My family's been in that area since the early 1700's. Maybe I'll find the Oak Island treasure is buried in my backyard..

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Blandford in Lunenburg county. My family's been in that area since the early 1700's. Maybe I'll find the Oak Island treasure is buried in my backyard..

A great place. Close enough to Halifax when you need to be there; far enough away to keep that "small town feel" that 90% of that province gives you.

Great family history story!

My best wishes for it all to work out for you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom