What caused this?

steve_64

20180918_164626_Film1.jpg20180918_164612_Film1.jpg20180918_164448_Film1.jpg20180918_164438_Film1.jpgattic fire in april. Moved back in 3 weeks ago and then this happened.
Is there a fix other than replacement?

Last edited:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
looks like real deal 3/4" hardwood

SWAG..... looks like something soaking wet (box, clothes, etc) laid in those spots for more than a little while

.L.T.A.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

steve_64

looks like real deal 3/4" hardwood

SWAG..... looks like something soaking wet (box, clothes, etc) laid in those spots for more than a little while

.L.T.A.
Started Saturday and keeps getting worse. Around all the walls and a few areas in the middle.
Look at the line under the closet door.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Started Saturday and keeps getting worse

is this a home Genny or crew cleans weekly ??
Otherwise how do you know it "just" started Saturday?

the blackish in the middle of floor, sure looks like water damage to me
The closet lines too, but could be easier explained by someone mopping with door closed and leaving mop water lay under closed door

no clue how it got blackened in the middle by the dumbbell ...unless there was table or something that didn't get moved while mopping and mop water laid under it

again..SWAG...but looks like water soaked in to me, Steveo

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
View attachment 84871View attachment 84872View attachment 84873View attachment 84874attic fire in april. Moved back in 3 weeks ago and then this happened.
Is there a fix other than replacement?

the last pic looks like cleaner dwelled longer or mopped harder to get cleaner on right and not as clean on left

same in closet without black streak
cleaner floor to the closet,less clean in the closet

OR.....

what's being used as cleaner?
Maybe it's removing whatever finish is on floor
It it ole school paste wax or polyurethane?

..L.T.A.

steve_64

What's swag?

My moms house. Floors haven't been wet cleaned since I did it when they moved back in.

It got hot and humid last week and they haven't been running the air. Attic was flooded by fire department. Ceilings caved in water soaked through to basement.

Servpro is the restoration co. House was closed up most of summer and never dried just a partial tear out.

steve_64

Servpro said he's never seen it and has no clue. I was told it could be mold.

Once dry can it be repaired or is it a replacement only fix?

steve_64

I cleaned and applied an acrylic finish in bedrooms where most of the water was and there is no damage there. The floors were sanded and polyurethane coated by contractors.

steve_64

fire dept flooded it
(and likely punched holes in some walls too)

and Servpro didn't have any drying equipment on site?? :headscratch::headscratch:

you sure???

..L.T.A.
No holes no drying.

They pulled insulation in attic and under main floor. Took some walls out but left others.

Place was closed up most of summer. 4 months to get it done.

No post construction cleanup clothes and linens left in bags wet. Attic still boarded up. Other work still undone.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
dayum...

go poke your moisture meter into the black spots that "just" appeared Saturday

and where's Chavez
Yo Reecardo, you ever heard of a resto co NOT putting drying equipment in a fire flooding??

..LT.A.

steve_64

dayum...

go poke your moisture meter into the black spots that "just" appeared Saturday

and where's Chavez
Yo Reecardo, you ever heard of a resto co NOT putting drying equipment in a fire flooding??

..LT.A.
I could get it to beep in one spot Saturday but nothing since.

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
It might be moisture trapped between the finished floor and subfloor. The finish coatings that were put on the floor trapped the moisture causing the discoloration.

If you have access to the subfloor, use a hammer probe to check for moisture from the subfloor up into the finished floor in several locations. This is far more accurate than using a non penetrating probe from the top of the floor.

If they sanded the floor before refinishing because it was cupped, it was likely still wet. It may crown over time and never look right.

Reactions: steve_64

steve_64

It might be moisture trapped between the finished floor and subfloor. The finish coatings that were put on the floor trapped the moisture causing the discoloration.

If you have access to the subfloor, use a hammer probe to check for moisture from the subfloor up into the finished floor in several locations. This is far more accurate than using a non penetrating probe from the top of the floor.

If they sanded the floor before refinishing because it was cupped, it was likely still wet. It may crown over time and never look right.
Servpro is in denial about the moisture. Meating a group over there later today to try and figure it out.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
This is definitely a moisture problem. Take a moisture probe when you meet with Serv Pro. A probe can check how much moisture is present at various depths of the wood. If the discoloration is not to deep, it can be repaired by sanding, drying out completely, then refinishing. If the damage is deep, it may require replacement.

steve_64

They set up two dehumidifiers to start the drying. Then the wood guy will resand and finish bad areas.

They still deny its their fault.

Reactions: J Scott W

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Do you have a thermal camera? I use a Seek Reveal ($400) to scan walls, ceilings and floors. If those areas are still evaporating moisture they will show as cooler. It isnmt as precise as a moisture probe, but a lot faster.

Aside, I’ve done a couple of jobs behind ServePro. Not sure what they are good at, but it isn’t degreasing stucco or admitting mistakes. The ads are awesome.

Reactions: steve_64

steve_64

I just have the hydroforce probe stick thingy.

Like it didn't even happen.

I didn't know that meant the dry down and final clean.

Reactions: Old Coastie

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
No dry down
Servpro is in denial about the moisture.

:headscratch::headscratch::headscratch:
you been saying they didn't do a dry down

which is it??

did they get paid for a dry down or only contracted to do initial suck 'n removal of wet materials ??
(and were they contracted immediately or did things lay for days or more)

details man, details!!!

..LT.A.

steve_64

No dry down no post construction clean up.

They heard the call go out and were at the fire lol.
No water clean up at all. It was closed up for about tweets before they even started the tear out.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
They heard the call go out and were at the fire lol.
No water clean up at all. It was closed up for about tweets before they even started the tear out.

did someone sign a contract for them to start work then ?

if not, and sat for "tweeks" (two weeks?) in that condition before the homeowner authorized them, it's not their fault

..L.T.A.

steve_64

Nothing was ever signed that I know of. They had the job before the fire was out.

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
Whoever sanded and refinished the floor (Servpro ?) should have been aware of the situation and tested the floor for moisture (hammer probing and moisture mapping) before sanding and refinishing.

If the floor was still wet (above 16% MC) then it should have been replaced do to the likely hood of fungus and dry rot growth.

At this point, verify the floor is still wet and have it replaced. I would have a third party test the floor and whole house for mold.

steve_64

Whoever sanded and refinished the floor (Servpro ?) should have been aware of the situation and tested the floor for moisture (hammer probing and moisture mapping) before sanding and refinishing.

If the floor was still wet (above 16% MC) then it should have been replaced do to the likely hood of fungus and dry rot growth.

At this point, verify the floor is still wet and have it replaced. I would have a third party test the floor and whole house for mold.
Talked to the guy doing the floor. He said some stains were already present bit not around the walls.
Some damage I believe is preexisting but not all.

Servpro said all their readings indicated drying wasn't necessary. They are full of it. They cut corners and its biting all of us.

Reactions: kmdineen

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Nothing was ever signed that I know of.

They had the job before the fire was out.

Oakie doakie

we can now presume they had at least a verbal "you got the job"
we can also presume they wouldn't start work without a contract/work order and payment details

I channeled Judge Wapner he said to ask if you know the date of signed work order?
and if it took more than a day, he wants to know why

Servpro said all their readings indicated drying wasn't necessary. They are full of it They cut corners and its biting all of us

That one doesn't make any $ense at all, Steveo
seems awful unlikely they'd "cut corners" on drying of all things

think about it
The big and easy money in resto is filling the place with as many dehus, fans, air scrubbers, etc they can justify daily charge for.
why in the world wouldn't they roll 'em in and turn 'em on?!?!

It would be unbelievably $tupid not to

Did insurance pay for this?
cause I'll say straight up, if insurance was paying for the job, no way in hell they wouldn't put drying equipment in there if they could justify it to them and get paid for it

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom