What Class Had the Least Value for You?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Steve

Please edit the name if you would. As I said, I'm the only instructor allowed to be picked on in this thread.

Was it the delivery or the content though? Do you perform the service as a result of the class, or did it make you less willing to go after that market?

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
I hear what a lot are saying regarding certain classes. Odor control is a one day class. Found very little value in the class. I mean, How many Rhino's are peeing on living room carpets anyways??? Yes, they had a sample of Rhino pee on a piece of carpet.

I know we aren't suppose to name names, so are initials allowed?? As for the WRT and RRT class, I was fortunate to take those classes with B C! Happened to be the best classes imo. J C taught the color repair class that I went to and learned a bunch from him. Very good teaching in my opinion for both instructors. Haven't been to a D H class, but have heard great things on him. I did sit in on a marketing class with D and found him to be full of energy. I will not sit in another D G class for stone, tile and grout cleaning. One of the most boring classes I have been in. Who cares about the geonology of stone which was a video that we had to sit through for an hour watching it! I nearly fall asleep!

I think the biggest thing with IICRC classes are the instructors. Depending on who is teaching it. Of the classes I took, B C, J C and D B are 1,2,3. B W was good as well. For the Master Textile Cleaners status, I had to fly to Atlanta to take the color repair class. Felt the instructor was very good. Lots of hands on and part of the hands on was part of the test. Felt it was worth the trip. I do agree that leather cleaning should be part of the master textile cleaner status, however the classes are very few.

Haven't had you Jim on a class but hope to someday! In my area, the nearest place to take a class is in Billings at Express Dist. Most of the classes are carpet cleaning tech, upholstery tech, and water damage. They do get the better instructors to teach those classes which makes it worth going there.

G

Odor- I did learn some things, but way too much info for a one day class with NO hands on.

Tile and Grout- very rushed with too little hands on. The instructor was very proud of himself and talked about how goes around the United States telling janitors off and then selling his cleaning guidelines to their bosses. Geology is interesting but good Lord, "How do we clean this?" Tell us what to do and what not to do! What Mike said.

Color Repair- I liked the instructor, very knowledgeable. There was a bunch of knuckle heads in my class so it was very frustrating. I am a certified master and I think WDR would've been a great alternative. And like Lisa said, a business management or a marketing class would've been even better! I think if would've been offered, myself and a lot others may of been better off than we are now? :|

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Color Repair

Not impressed with the results, we did not offer the service.

Powders and eye droppers seemed very amateur hour.

Don't recommend this class!

Name
Evets
Jim Pemberton said:
Steve

Please edit the name if you would. As I said, I'm the only instructor allowed to be picked on in this thread.

Was it the delivery or the content though? Do you perform the service as a result of the class, or did it make you less willing to go after that market?

I only took the class because I needed it for the MTC certification.

I don't offer the service mainly because I have trouble seeing red against other colors. Yes, that can be a problem when cleaning carpet.
"Did you see the red stain beside the couch?"
No ma'am.
"It's right there"
uh,where?
"RIGHT THERE!"
okay,tell me when it's gone...

Chris A

Name
Chris
Stevie Bs said:
[quote="Jim Pemberton":3ri663t3]Steve

I only took the class because I needed it for the MTC certification.

I don't offer the service mainly because I have trouble seeing red against other colors. Yes, that can be a problem when cleaning carpet.
"Did you see the red stain beside the couch?"
No ma'am.
"It's right there"
uh,where?
"RIGHT THERE!"
okay,tell me when it's gone...[/quote:3ri663t3]

LOL, I have do do the exact same thing!

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Jim (and others):

Please note how many times color repair came up.

The problem with that is; this is the same course that the IICRC beached the contract of their "old" Masters with. Remember when some had followed all the rules, and got their Master status. but then the IICRC decided some of their instructors needed to teach more, so they took away the Master status of those who would not get Color repair certified? They never offered to Grandfather the old ones in, not even a free class. Am I correct on this?

If I heard correctly the argument given @ the time was "a cleaner cannot be a true Master if he can't see color". But that is an obvious false argument, because seeing a spot, and knowing how to clean it does'nt really take knowing it's color. And as most of the above have mentioned, the color class is pretty cheezie.

I'm wondering, why even bother when an organization is that greedy?

Sincerely,
Dale

BUSY BEE

Stone Pro's Free Hands on stone restoration class (I like their products btw), I saw first hand that crystalizing marble sucks. They teach how to restore stone but also crystalize marble which is the easiest and worst way to restore marble. I've had 2 friends get into it with this teacher about crystalizing, things got somewhat heated, pretty entertaining.
Also, went to a carpet repair class in the early 90's that was a joke, we mainly learned how to do ciggie burns, my boss was pissed he wasted $250 and my days pay, he sent me with a carpet installer and I learned repairs in 2 full days.

randy

Name
Randy
Without a doubt Algebra 1 or should I say Algebra 1,2 since I took Algebra One TWICE. :?
My GPS gets me where I need to go , someone else can find X .

Seriously every class had some value including The Cleaning Institutes's Double your profits seminar. In fact I recommend everyone take it since with the free chemicals you get for attending the seminar it is basically free. Everyone needs a day off from being a wand slave and I'm glad I attended it.

My main criticism would be my first carpet cleaning class, zero hands on and really no real world practical advise. The class was designed to prepare you to pass a test and be a future profit center for the IICRC. I see plenty of MASTER Cleaners on Ytube that don't even know how to properly use a wand properly. Perhaps a basic carpet cleaning class should cover that ?
When a " master cleaner " is lifting the wand off the carpet with every stroke prior to making the next he hasn't mastered much. I get the feeling the IICRC is just trying to crank out new classes now for all the wrong reasons.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom