What College Class Do You Wish ....

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
What college level class do you wish you took or want to take today?

Creative Writing, never realized how important writing is in business. Wish someone warned me on that one, even in high school I always knew would end up being a small business owner. All i ever wanted to be....

So who cares about creative writing was my thought, whiffed on that one.
The only skill worse then writing is my penmanship, even i can't read it :cry:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Well I failed accounting twice....I'd like to pass it someday .

First time I was too young and was more concerned about my girlfriend than passing classes. Second time it was night school and work, a young family and school were more than I could handle, blew it again. :redface:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
More physics because that is what I like.
More chemistry because that would help around the lab.
Creative writing would also be helpful since I do a lot of writing.
Looking for opportunities to take a class on-line now and then.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen

Creative Writing, never realized how important writing is in business...
Actually, Shane, writing for business (and especially for a web site) is a very different beast. HERE is the very best book on business writing I have ever read. Yes, this book is 30 years old and more pertinent than ever for the Internet.

Steve

PS And yes, before y'all start beating me up I break Mr. Zinsser's advice on a daily basis.

Reactions: Mikey P

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Knowing what I know now, I would have dropped out after sixth grade, although that would have been illegal. One can learn anything with books or online courses. The crap they taught in junior and senior high is worthless and a college degree only shows a future employer you can sit there and take crap from idiots indefinitely. It's good if you want to work for someone for the next forty years but useless if you want to be self employed and create your own reality and make some real money.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
never went to college. a business class in HS woulda been good for me, instead of taking construction.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Actually, Shane, writing for business (and especially for a web site) is a very different beast. HERE is the very best book on business writing I have ever read. Yes, this book is 30 years old and more pertinent than ever for the Internet.

Steve

PS And yes, before y'all start beating me up I break Mr. Zinsser's advice on a daily basis.

Thanks for the subtle reminder, after 6 years my website is finally being rewritten this month. Going to send it over to you for final approval :p.

Bill i ordered The World Until Yesterday last week with some other stuff after seeing him in an interview, pretty interesting stuff ... Well not really but it is to me anyway.

Name
Bruce
Knowing what I know now, I would have dropped out after sixth grade, although that would have been illegal. One can learn anything with books or online courses. The crap they taught in junior and senior high is worthless and a college degree only shows a future employer you can sit there and take crap from idiots indefinitely. It's good if you want to work for someone for the next forty years but useless if you want to be self employed and create your own reality and make some real money.
Dad is that you? word for word that's how I feel about it.

F

FB7777

Only 2 courses that stand out in my college experience were Psychology and Statistics.

Stats taught me about Amortization and compounding interest

Psych professors first question on day 1 was " what do expect to get for a grade in this class? ". His self fulfilling prophesy taught me to expect more from myself , because humans have a tendency of living " down to expectations"

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
More Astronomy classes. Things we know now(about our world), compared to the 90's is unreal.

All the boring classes would be most helpful now. Accounting, writing, advertising etc..

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Only 2 courses that stand out in my college experience were Psychology and Statistics.

Stats taught me about Amortization and compounding interest

Psych professors first question on day 1 was " what do expect to get for a grade in this class? ". His self fulfilling prophesy taught me to expect more from myself , because humans have a tendency of living " down to expectations"

X2 on the two courses. I'm fortunate to have inherited money from a great uncle(he is still living) and its divided into various trust funds, and the market. I've not touched, and plan not to until I retire if I can help it. He also gave 3 of my cousins money as well, but I had to prove to him I understood how it works. I'm no financial expert, but know enough to manage a portion of the portfolio I have. I also invest myself now, and have set up a few things like college fund for my son, and if I have anymore children ones will be set up for them as well. Compounding interest is an amazing thing, and if done right there is no reason why someone can't retire comfortably even if they start late in life.

I like to people watch or observe various people in my life and predict outcomes of their situations based on their actions. I have a weird sense of intuition, well... I'm just plain weird. :lol: But I enjoy learning how the human mind works, it did help me a lot in sales roles. I've never had a real problem selling.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
I wish I would have taken Typing in High school. It always conflicted with band. I was the Cool drummer

In college I wish I had taken accounting, statistics and some basic law courses. Those would help me today.

I get what those are saying about college vs real world experience. College teaches you a lot of things forced, Time management, project management, when to speak when to shut up. How to listen and critical thinking. If you are successful it teaches you how to learn. Being successful in life is about becoming a lifelong learner.

I would agree those of us in our 50's could have skipped some education and done well in being a small business owner.
I think that has change today for those in their 20's. They have grown up with a entitlement attitude. Those that can discipline themselves to complete 2-4 years of college successfully will have a distinct advantage. I also think a stint with a larger company can give you some tools to help in the process of running your own company. If it were so easy to skip college and go straight to owning your own business Why do all of us find it so hard to hire sharp 20 something's just to be a tech.

It is the rare bird that can do what some of us have done.

It is even a more rare bird that can do it, prosper and enjoy it.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
I still regret not getting my law degree...

Creative Writing, never realized how important writing is in business. Wish someone warned me on that one, even in high school I always knew would end up being a small business owner. All i ever wanted to be....

So who cares about creative writing was my thought, whiffed on that one.
The only skill worse then writing is my penmanship, even i can't read it :cry:

Reactions: Ken Snow

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
To me communication is a huge multiplier, you can be the best cleaner, lawyer, doctor, dog walker etc but if we don't communicate that then we just blend in.

To use freds post on compounding interest { ithink einstein said it was one of humanities greatest inventions}, think about the compounding interest if you could add 5 more scotchgard sales, 2 more phone closes and 2 more cross-selling jobs a week over a career. That is some serious money over the long term and all comes from slightly better writing/public speaking/sales skills. So for me its still going to be writing and practicing presentations which you dont need to attend a college class for, most metro areas have a toastmasters chapter that is pretty cheap.

Reactions: billyeadon

Neil King

Name
Neil King
I took microeconomics but I should probably take it again. Understanding marginal cost/benefit and being able to analyze your own data is very valuable. I think elasticity could also be applied to specific markets or even your own customer base if it were large enough.

Back
Top Bottom