What do you guys do to keep your employees motivated?

Name
Scott
Besides threatning them with their jobs do any of you have any good ideas with keeping your guys motivated to continually help grow the business and keep equipment clean and maintained? This is my biggest issue with my business. I have done bonuses for new accounts they get but wanted to see what may work for you all. Thanks

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Threatening someone's job is sure fire way of losing their respect, unless there policy infractions. Kind of like pointing a loaded gun at someone without intending to shoot them.

1. Treat them with respect
2. Treat the fairly
3. Catch them doing something right and compliment them
4. Compensate them extremely well
5. Have a bagel day once a week
6. Get rid of any non-performers (the performers will respect you more)
7. Develope a clear understanding of what is expected
8. Ask them what will help them do their job better and get it for them (within reason)

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Ken Snow said:
Threatening someone's job is sure fire way of losing their respect, unless there policy infractions. Kind of like pointing a loaded gun at someone without intending to shoot them.

1. Treat them with respect
2. Treat the fairly
3. Catch them doing something right and compliment them
4. Compensate them extremely well
5. Have a bagel day once a week
6. Get rid of any non-performers (the performers will respect you more)
7. Develope a clear understanding of what is expected
8. Ask them what will help them do their job better and get it for them (within reason)

It's always best to have a backup plan
RawlingsMiniBaseballBat1.jpg

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Ken laid it out really well. I've only ever been an employee, have yet to start up on my own - its in the works though. However even having only been an employee I understand greatly the owner and managerial side very well, I've hired and fired. If I were to ever apply at another company the things I would look for are this. I want a company that is interested in helping me achieve my personal goals as much as I am interested in achieving the goals for the business. I really feel there has to be an equal give and take, and compromise. When there is a happy balance between personal and professional life the opportunitys for me to succeed in both sides in life are exponential. I strongly believe its very important to share all goals and put people in positions and give them the tools to be able to reach and exceed those goals. If an employer can understand this for me, I will do the absolute best I can because I know in order for my goals to be met the business goals have to be met FIRST and that is what my motivation is. I've always put a business first, and not that I feel I'm entitled to anything, but in return I feel a great employee should be taking care of - within reason, should their work warrant it.

I have a family I have to provide for, and so does everyone else. The unemployment line is long and there are plenty of people out there who will work hard, and keep doing so if they're given the opportunity.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Dink...come up to Michigan....
wit my brains an' yor good looks
we can take care of CRASH....
AND that pesky Ken Snow........... :lol:

Very well said , Hoody! shiteatinggrin A company's greatest asset is its employees. Pay them as well as you can. Give them opportunities to learn. Care about them and their families :mrgreen: Pizza parties, gift certificates, drawings for $ (Attaboys). Paid vacation time-Holiday pay. Give them acknowledgement for their sucesses- and grant them patience for the failures (learning opportunities). Putting together a good crew-dealing with problems immediately when they arise (the "under acheivers" :x ). Keeping a good "open-door" policy. Keep in touch with them on a daily basis-on a personal level if needed.(in other words-sometimes you gotta G.A.S. :roll: ) I run my crew just like i used to run the "dude string" at the riding stable. Keep em groomed up, well-fed and shod, run good comfortable equipment (nobody likes to work all day with a P.O.S.), and give them the tools and training the need to succeed. And dont be afraid to give them a good spurring now and then to keep them on their toes!!! shiteatinggrin :lol:

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
I think the best way would be to have a weekly breakfast meeting. Buy them breakfast, do a lttle training and let them know where the comapny is headed. Three things employees want. leadership, compensation, direction.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Ken Snow nailed it (as usual). We don't have a "Bagel day", but I buy meals often.

My employee, Jonathan, seems a lot like Hoody. He came to MF with me and enjoyed it.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Come to work for me Hoody and I'll let you buy the biz in a few years. Not to many good workers around here. Either lazy or do crappy work. All the good people have jobs or are collecting unemployment and want to keep it that way.

Mike Draper

I just hire union workers. They are always happy to work, they never complain or ask for raises. They don't feel entitled, they nevr ever miss days of work or call in sick. All in all, they are great.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Mike Draper said:
I just hire union workers. They are always happy to work, they never complain or ask for raises. They don't feel entitled, they nevr ever miss days of work or call in sick. All in all, they are great.

You're a funny man Mike!!

Name
I'm Rick James
Mike Draper said:

You can also get the same results with some of the Meheecans.. Just gotta look.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhpD8x2cp8M&feature=related

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Be careful with the Mexicans, they see how much money you're making and they will be your competition quick. Ask me how I know.

Back
Top Bottom